When to take a prep course? Winter 2015??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrphanageCaretaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply for the 2017 D-school cycle so I need to take my DAT shortly, my plan is to be part-time in the Spring 2016 semester and take the DAT early February or March, so I can have my DAT scores, GPA verified and LOR's in for early June application period. My only question is would taking a paid prep course over the winter and studying by myself be beneficial to my Spring DAT? I just want to kill the DAT to make up for my semi-average GPA. Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Dude. Don't do a paid prep course. Waste of money.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude. Don't do a paid prep course. Waste of money.

There is one near me and it is highly recommended, I'm okay with spending money if it means possibly receiving a higher score on the DAT and being admitted into D-school

Members don't see this ad :)
There is one near me and it is highly recommended, I'm okay with spending money if it means possibly receiving a higher score on the DAT and being admitted into D-school

Highly recommended by whom? If you are talking the Orgoman prep, by all means, take the classes. If you are talking Kaplan, I have yet to see anyone here that has been happy with that course.

Take the prep course when it works into your schedule and then schedule the DAT for a week or so after the course ends. Count back from when you want to take the DAT and start the prep class as close to that date as possible.

Highly recommended by whom? If you are talking the Orgoman prep, by all means, take the classes. If you are talking Kaplan, I have yet to see anyone here that has been happy with that course.

Take the prep course when it works into your schedule and then schedule the DAT for a week or so after the course ends. Count back from when you want to take the DAT and start the prep class as close to that date as possible.

Not Kaplan at all, essentially they have a period where I can go to their lectures for 2 months absolutely free and just listen but then sign up Jan-April and then take my exam early April

While everybody has a different learning style, I really think that lectures are less helpful for DAT studying than reviewing everything and doing practice problems on your own. I don't think cost is the biggest issue with prep courses, but rather that your time could be more wisely spent doing it on your own. At least for me, doing is much better than listening.

I can agree on some part but I'm more comfortable with lectures than learning by myself completely. My friend took a prep course by the same guy but he was pre-med, he scored a 40 and said most of it was due to the prep course routine and guidance and the rest self studying

Well in that case I can't be of much help because I don't have any experience with prep courses. However, I would definitely leave a few weeks between the end of the prep course and your test date to make sure you review what's giving you the most trouble. Good luck!

2 weeks is what I'm looking at so far