COMLEX WHEN TO TAKE COMLEX LEVEL 2 PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duon89

Sun Power
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current 3rd year trying to figure out when to take it.

I only see outdated posts, so here is the poll.

If you have taken it after certain rotation, please specify and mention if it was helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking mine this week (4th year) but I think retrospective I would have scheduled it for late Sept early Oct before interview season but after auditions

Listen to that guy. Do it during an easy rotation, try not to do it during snowy months (weather delays) and actually prepare for the test. If you do it too early and fail, every residency program will see. If you do it too late, you won't be ranked. Fall of 4th year is good. There's not a specific month during third year to watch out for--it depends on your rotations. Would recommend taking at least after your FM, peds and IM rotations.

I'm taking it last week of July, but i agree that fall would not have been a bad idea. I decided to push back my written level 2 exams for more study time (may or may not have been a good idea).

I was wondering how you guys are preparing for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the PE in April of 3rd year during our week off for spring break. I took it after an IM rotation which was helpful since it was fast paced. I would recommend taking it your 3rd year April/May so you don't have to worry about it during 4th year when your trying to study for comlex 2 ce/ auditions/ interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the PE in April of 3rd year during our week off for spring break. I took it after an IM rotation which was helpful since it was fast paced. I would recommend taking it your 3rd year April/May so you don't have to worry about it during 4th year when your trying to study for comlex 2 ce/ auditions/ interviews.

Agree with this. I took it in April, and I was far enough along with my Step 2 studying that coming up with the differentials and doing the H&P/SOAP notes was fairly straightforward. Not stressing about that side of things let me focus more on checking all the humanistic boxes. I was still a mess coming out of it from stressing about things I know I did wrong, but it turned out fine. I think it was the best time to take it.

As far as preparation, the Kauffman book all the way. Read the beginning part once, then just practice cases with a friend. I only practiced about 6 cases.

Take it as early as possible as it is much more similar to your OMS-1 and OMS-2 SP encounters than it is to an actual patient visit. If you are out too long, you start forgetting to do little things like whispered pectoriloquy (however you spell it).

Earlier is better. I did it in June. Do it after a FM or IM rotation, so you have the essentials fresh in your mind. And most importantly, don't panic.