When to take Derm electives in 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrbanDweller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My 4th year begins in July. I'm wanting to take one derm rotation locally and 2 aways. I'm wondering what months I should do that. I heard that July is a bad month because that's when new residents start.
Should I do, Aug-Oct in derm, or still go with July-Sept for derm?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

My 4th year begins in July. I'm wanting to take one derm rotation locally and 2 aways. I'm wondering what months I should do that. I heard that July is a bad month because that's when new residents start.
Should I do, Aug-Oct in derm, or still go with July-Sept for derm?

Thanks!

July may be a "bad" month when it comes to getting to do things, bc the starting PGY-2 will want to do many of them, but honestly, I don't see how you have a choice, esp. with Dean's letters coming out even earlier now and to get letters sent in time to meet application deadlines. Hopefully, you may get lucky and be rotating with a PGY-3/PGY-4.

That being a said, a lot of auditioning in derm isn't really to show your derm smarts (which is different than say doing an audition rotation in IM). It's more testing out that you have an affable personality, etc. assuming that you already look good on paper. It's essentially a month long interview.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. The problem is the derm chair at our school is the one who recommends starting derm electives in August. It seems like a waste of a month to wait until then, but I wouldn't want to upset him by taking it in July. It would probably be inappropriate to do an away in July, and then do home derm rotation afterward in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. The problem is the derm chair at our school is the one who recommends starting derm electives in August. It seems like a waste of a month to wait until then, but I wouldn't want to upset him by taking it in July. It would probably be inappropriate to do an away in July, and then do home derm rotation afterward in August.

If your chair recommends starting electives in August, then start in August.

It usually isn't possible to do aways before you do your home rotation as most places want proof you've done a home rotation first.

You could always start with a derm research elective or just get your medicine/surgery sub-I out of the way

July for home so you make an impression and stay in contact. Best away month is prob Sept. Someone did an away rotation here in August. In Dec/jan, I mentioned that I thought she did a good job. Most people didn't remember her that well by that point when I mentioned it.

Oct is also good if you're not fishing for a letter of rec.

Reactions: 1 user

Also, be careful WHERE you are rotating. Some are more choosy. They don't want your 240-249 USMLE Step 1 scores stinking up the place. :rolleyes:

https://services.aamc.org/20/vsas/public/school/instID/165
"Dermatology: personal statement and copy of Step 1 board scores. Please note that the minimum Step 1 score required for a rotation in Dermatology is 250"

Last edited:
250 just for a rotation?! Geez.

So glad I'm past the residency/fellowship matching stuff. Totally thankful.

Yes, apparently just for the "honor" of rotating. Nice to know we don't have a critical shortage of SQ hubris. I'm 100% sure that all their faculty had a 250 on Step 1 and wouldn't hypocritically impose that requirement on others without having achieved it themselves. :rolleyes: