When to take MCAT prep course/MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

depasqualemi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I just started my sophomore year at University at Buffalo and I don't have any idea of when I'm going to fit in an MCAT prep course. I want to take the course directly before taking the MCAT (by the way it will be the new 2015 MCAT) and I plan on taking Kaplan's. I know it isn't necessary but I feel it definitely is worth it.

Currently the experience I have with MCAT material is this:

2 semesters bio (evolutionary and cell)
2 semesters gen chem

I am currently taking my first semesters of Organic chem and Physics, and will have two semesters of each under my belt by the end of the school year.

I could take the time this summer to take the MCAT prep course, then take the MCAT around this time next year. However, I wont have any semesters of psychology, physiology, sociology, or biochemistry. This could obviously prove bad with the new MCAT as it does delve into soc and psych, and physio and biochem are important as well. However, I could always retake a year later after taking those classes, and I would be entitled to a FREE Kaplan prep course again the following summer (Kaplan offers a free retake of the prep course if you weren't satisfied with your first grade).

I am afraid to take the Kaplan prep course during a semester as I fear my GPA (3.818) will suffer.

Any advice on a game plan here? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Basically most people take the course, the summer after they finish the pre-reqs. If you're finishing the pre-reqs at the end of Junior year, then just wait to take it that summer.