When to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDHopefulIA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I am currently a sophomore in a 7 year medical program. So I must take the MCAT before August 31st 2016 in order to apply to my program's med school and others. I am considering taking it in late May or June 2016 or wait and take it late July or early August 2016. However, during the spring semester where I would study for a potential May/June MCAT, I would be taking Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular biology, one or two easy electives and possibly microbiology. If I were to take it in July or early August, the upcoming semester I would have the aforementioned courses plus microbiology. However, if I take it during that time, I don't think I will be that focused during the summer to study, also I have to fast for Ramadan during middle June-middle July, thus making it more difficult to study.
So, I've a few questions 1. Would it be best for me to take it in late May/ early June or late July/earlyAugust? 2. If I were to take it May/June, should I keep microbiology in the schedule or leave it so I can focus on test prep? 3. If I were to take it May/June, could one recommend a study schedule beginning in December (December break) including the fact that I am taking classes in spring semseter?
I would talk to a advisor at my school, but they're all pretty inept and do not know much.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not drop the Microbiology course. Go to @mcatjelly's signature - MCAT 2015 FAQ. The page contains different plans and you could choose one based on you preference. Start as early as possible, December or even earlier (depends on how much time you need). When the MCAT registration opens in March or around that time, save yourself a spot to take it in May/June and continue studying. If you don't feel ready 1 month before the test, cancel and reschedule for July/August.
As for fasting, don't think about it. You might take the test before it comes so until then, keep munching :corny: