When to take step 3 if re-applying to derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lrmagnani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied for derm during 4th year with no research year but some publications, AOA, Step 1 and 2 both in the 240s. Got 6 interviews, did not match. Currently doing IM-prelim year, will be going to Mass Gen next year for research, and plan to re-apply during research year.

My question is when to take Step 3? My research mentor doesn’t require I have it done by the time I start at Mass Gen, so I can take it this year, next year, or even after I resend applications. Having trouble deciding. Do I take it this year while everything fresh in my head but less time to study? Or next year when I will have more time to study? Or not bother having in time for my apps? Not sure what to do because 240s obv isn’t that great for derm, and I require a lot of studying to do well on such exams

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Applied for derm during 4th year with no research year but some publications, AOA, Step 1 and 2 both in the 240s. Got 6 interviews, did not match. Currently doing IM-prelim year, will be going to Mass Gen next year for research, and plan to re-apply during research year.

My question is when to take Step 3? My research mentor doesn’t require I have it done by the time I start at Mass Gen, so I can take it this year, next year, or even after I resend applications. Having trouble deciding. Do I take it this year while everything fresh in my head but less time to study? Or next year when I will have more time to study? Or not bother having in time for my apps? Not sure what to do because 240s obv isn’t that great for derm, and I require a lot of studying to do well on such exams

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I would take it as soon as possible. Most programs don't look at Step 3 and for those who have already matched, they just check to make sure you have passed, they don't really care about the numerical score.

I would take it now while you are used to primary care, entering admission orders in the ER, etc. I'd plan it during a slower elective month if possible should you need additional time to study.

I would take it as soon as possible. Most programs don't look at Step 3 and for those who have already matched, they just check to make sure you have passed, they don't really care about the numerical score.

I would take it now while you are used to primary care, entering admission orders in the ER, etc. I'd plan it during a slower elective month if possible should you need additional time to study.

I ve heard people say this about the step 3 also... but it doesnt make sense to me because Step 3 is so similar to the step 2? Why do they put value on the step 2 but not the step 3? I m sure if you dont have the step 3 it probably doesnt hurt your app much.... but scoring low on the step 3 can only hurt you?? I m sure if you barely pass the step 3 it will probably be a significant negative on your app?

I m guessing if you get a similar score on your step 3 you would probably be ok.. or if you dont take it at all would probably be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
I ve heard people say this about the step 3 also... but it doesnt make sense to me because Step 3 is so similar to the step 2? Why do they put value on the step 2 but not the step 3? I m sure if you dont have the step 3 it probably doesnt hurt your app much.... but scoring low on the step 3 can only hurt you?? I m sure if you barely pass the step 3 it will probably be a significant negative on your app?

I m guessing if you get a similar score on your step 3 you would probably be ok.. or if you dont take it at all would probably be ok.

Who places an emphasis on Step 2? The majority of derm programs only care about what you scored on Step 1.

Also, you think you'll score better on Step 3 after nearly a year removed from clinical medicine and in a research lab?

Who places an emphasis on Step 2? The majority of derm programs only care about what you scored on Step 1.

Also, you think you'll score better on Step 3 after nearly a year removed from clinical medicine and in a research lab?

I m just hypothesizing... the other posters have mentioned that your step 3 score doesnt matter. I m just saying it likely doesnt matter too much... but if you take it too lightly and just barely pass... that probably doesnt look good.

I m just hypothesizing... the other posters have mentioned that your step 3 score doesnt matter. I m just saying it likely doesnt matter too much... but if you take it too lightly and just barely pass... that probably doesnt look good.

I'm not hypothesizing, I'm being rather firm. Step 3 doesn't matter. It just matters whether you passed or not. Of all the obstacles of getting into derm, I've never heard of anyone being rejected because their Step 3 score was too low.

That being said, if you want to study extra hard for Step 3 and rock it, it never hurts.