When to take Step II CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grace82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to pathology residency next year and I'm unsure of when to take stepII? My step I score was a 226 and I'm not sure if this will hurt my chances for path residencies if I don't take step II early in the year and get a higher score? I was hoping to take it in mid September so I have the choice to not submit if I do worse. Overall, I'm interested in how important Step II is for path residencies and will I be asked in interviews if I don't have my step II score yet?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did mine in July; I don't think it's as important for Path as for other residencies. That said, you definitely want an "upward trend" if possible. Most programs, I think, require a passing Step IICK score to be posted for rank, which means taking it before Dec 31 most of the time. You have a decent Step 1 score (average)...that should get you interviews if you apply to more than just the Harvard programs. I'd recommend taking it earlier - before applications become available to programs in September/October - so that they see that (1) your score has improved - which it will, because you'll study harder and because it's a more clinically-oriented test, and (2) you have one less thing to complete for licensing (the more USMLE steps completed, the better). You should take Step 2CS sooner rather than later as well, so that that passing score can be posted as well for programs to see.

Take CS as early as possible. 3rd year if you can manage it. Took mine in early Nov and programs were contacting me in Jan because my score still was not out. Its easy, read the First Aid for CS, do practice cases (do not skip this) = pass.

Yeah, get it out of the way, not because programs want to see what your score is but because it has to be done and they aren't likely to rank you without it. So chances are the sooner they can stop thinking about you not having it done, the better off you are. So long as it's not a precipitous drop/fail I doubt most programs really care, but almost everyone does about the same or better compared to their Step I.

I don't know what the turnaround is for scores these days, but that's the real thing to look at so you can have results available at a reasonable time.