When to take the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jassi.astros

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I plan to take orgo 1 and 2 next year and was wondering when you would recommend taking the DAT. I am unsure if I should take it either directly after competing orgo and studying next summer that way I can take it around August or if I should wait till the end of junior year.
What is the normal route students take? Also, I plan on applying in 2023 if that helps:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I will be a junior in the fall. I just finished orgo 2 this past spring semester and I started studying for my test in May! I'd recommend you take it the following summer while its still fresh. For reference, I plan to apply in the 2022 cycle, and studying now just makes more sense to me. I'd rather study hard and have the test out of the way this summer so I could focus on submitting apps early as possible next summer before senior year. Also, If I just so happen to not get the score I want, I have more enough time to retake before I start applying. I have many friends that are going to be seniors in the fall that wish they had studied the previous summer, as they are studying for their tests now & still trying to apply this cycle.
Thank you so much! That is also what I have been told but I was a little discouraged because it seems like the majority of pre-dent students take it in their junior year, but I feel like taking it next summer may be more ideal:)

Hi! I plan to take orgo 1 and 2 next year and was wondering when you would recommend taking the DAT. I am unsure if I should take it either directly after competing orgo and studying next summer that way I can take it around August or if I should wait till the end of junior year.
What is the normal route students take? Also, I plan on applying in 2023 if that helps:)
I would take it next summer after finishing orgo

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took my DAT about a month after finishing orgo 2. It was super nice because all the concepts were fresh in my mind and I didn't really have to hone in on much. I spent about 6 weeks after the spring semester ended to study non-stop the other areas of the DAT and took the exam that June.

Reactions: 1 user
Took orgo sophomore year and the dat that summer, best decision ever. Idk why the Standard is to take it after junior year lol

Reactions: 1 user