When to take the MCAT (New vs. Old)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoblinCadet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am currently a freshman in college and will be applying to medical school for 2016. As Im sure you all know the new MCAT will be out in 2015 which is my junior year. Is it possible for me to take the old MCAT my sophomore year (Ill have all the pre-reqs) or do I have to take the Newer MCAT because I am applying for fall 2016?

Members don't see this ad.

Really? Thats a huge relief. I was planning to take the old one but a friend said that since I'm trying to get in for fall of 2016 that Im required to take the new one.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it all depends on how serious you are about taking it... if you really buckle down and study for it (like everyone should) and take it in Aug and do well, then that's great.

However, if you are like the average test taker and score ~25, then you'll need to retake in 2015 with a different test..... :scared:

Keep in mind, it may be tough to cram in all the pre-reqs and MCAT studying in time for the old MCAT given your timeline.

Keep in mind, it may be tough to cram in all the pre-reqs and MCAT studying in time for the old MCAT given your timeline.

Yea, I've worked it out to have all the pre reqs done by that summer and also plan on taking a prep course the spring before.

Thanks for all the input

Hey guys. I am currently a freshman in college and will be applying to medical school for 2016. As Im sure you all know the new MCAT will be out in 2015 which is my junior year. Is it possible for me to take the old MCAT my sophomore year (Ill have all the pre-reqs) or do I have to take the Newer MCAT because I am applying for fall 2016?

Take the old MCAT before Spring 2015 (around Jan 2015 is the best time).

When you apply, the new MCAT will have only been out for 6 months, so I think it's fine that you have an old MCAT score.

If someone is applying in 2016 for 2017 matriculation, I think it may be harder for them to pull off having an old MCAT score because it may look like they were just trying to avoid the new MCAT.