when we get secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfossil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my application is completely in and hopefully will be finalized as soon as my letters are in. after that any idea how long till the last secondaries come in from schools? ie when if i have not gotten a secondary do i know that the school isn't interested anymore?

Members don't see this ad.

my application is completely in and hopefully will be finalized as soon as my letters are in. after that any idea how long till the last secondaries come in from schools? ie when if i have not gotten a secondary do i know that the school isn't interested anymore?

Nearly all schools will send you a secondary regardless of how strong of an applicant you are. They want your $$$

Most schools do send secondaries to all applicants. Some "screen" their primary applications meaning that they take a quick glance at your application and decide whether or not you will get a secondary. Some schools take it a step further (Vanderbilt, UNC for in state applicants) and only give you a secondary when they've decided to give you an interview. The schools that screen their application typically take at least a couple weeks to do so - and will notify you of their decision soon afterwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do a search, there are a couple threads where people have tried to compile a list of schools that screen secondaries.

This. Go to the school specific discussions for this year.

You can probably even find the essay prompts, and pre-write them if you like.

Can you usually get them while waiting on your MCAT score?

I got secondaries from everywhere I applied except Wake Forest and Vanderbilt (pre interview screened). But yeah 95% of schools will send you a secondary without screening or with very very low screening cut-offs

Sanders, you already got secondaries? I didn't get anything yet. My LOR's are not in yet, is that why?

no one would have gotten secondaries yet. amcas has not submit any apps, even verified ones, to medical schools yet. this will happen on June 29th, and after that it may take some schools a week or two to send out secondaries, esp considering the July 4th holiday and the fact that many schools are still dealing with the current app cycle/waitlists/withdrawals etc. sanders must be referring to a past cycle, and judging by his title of "med student" i'd assume so.

Sanders, you already got secondaries? I didn't get anything yet. My LOR's are not in yet, is that why?

Sorry, Took a break for the weekend. No I didn't get secondaries, Im going off of last years cycle. I applied last cycle. Now im just wasting time until school starts in August. Figured answering a few questions on here was more productive than watching re-runs on TV

Also, you dont have to have LORs assigned to get secondaries. I didn't assign any of mine until after I started receiving secondaries.