When you are trying to explain a grade in a class during an interview.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TardyTardis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you are trying to explain a grade during an interview....

Is it okay to say that the professor was bad? (I wouldn't be lying about one class in particular)

Does anybody have any further tips or suggestions on explaining grades that were bad during an interview....

No I do not have that many bad grades in classes, only two exactly but I went to further higher level classes and did better...

Members don't see this ad.

"I'm sorry that I did bad, but don't you worry, I can still afford the tuition since I qualify for $200k+ in student loans."

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do it. I'm no expert myself, but i think it's a bad idea to go in front of a group of current/former professors or admins and blame a professor even if it was your professors fault.

That's like saying "I didn't fill this guy's prescription cause he was rude". That's one way to get fired. And blaming the professor is another way to not pass the interview.

When you are trying to explain a grade during an interview....

Is it okay to say that the professor was bad? (I wouldn't be lying about one class in particular)

Does anybody have any further tips or suggestions on explaining grades that were bad during an interview....

No I do not have that many bad grades in classes, only two exactly but I went to further higher level classes and did better...
If you blame a professor, it shows immaturity and failure to accept responsibility for your own performance. Regardless of how well aligned you are with any professor, the course material is pretty standard. Even if your O Chem professor objectively does not know the material, or deliver it effectively to the students, the content on the tests is fundamental. Unless you can prove that the professor graded your tests incorrectly, you don't have the ground to displace the blame.

Your best bet is to admit that you struggled with the course due to some misunderstandings with the professor about the material/etc.

Transparency is the key here.

Reactions: 1 user
If you blame a professor, it shows immaturity and failure to accept responsibility for your own performance. Regardless of how well aligned you are with any professor, the course material is pretty standard. Even if your O Chem professor objectively does not know the material, or deliver it effectively to the students, the content on the tests is fundamental. Unless you can prove that the professor graded your tests incorrectly, you don't have the ground to displace the blame.

Your best bet is to admit that you struggled with the course due to some misunderstandings with the professor about the material/etc.

Transparency is the key here.

Okay... I'm convinced, not going to do it..

And express what you learned from the experience and what you will do (or did do) differently next time.