When you become a doctor, please don't do this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms. a

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was sitting outside the security checkpoint at the airport this Sunday, waiting to pick up my husband from a trip, I saw a doctor standing in the security line. How did I know he was a doctor? Well, he not only had on his tell-tale green scrubs, but he was still wearing his long white coat! On the upper left side, I could clearly see the letters M.D. sewn in red thread. Seriously, is it really necessary to continue wearing the coat? It's not like he had to wear it because he was cold - he had a sweatshirt in his hand. Even if he had rushed from his shift, he had time, standing around in line, to take it off. There have been plenty of times that my husband came straight from an ER shift to the airport in a hurry and still managed to take off his coat every time.

Please, once you get that white coat, only wear it at work and when absolutely necessary. Otherwise, you just look like you're trying desparately to brag.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah but I will be working really hard to get that white coat. I plan on wearing mine even at the gym and to get the mail.

I plan on sleeping and bathing in mine

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning on doubling the usage out of my white coat - use it as a bathrobe on lazy Sunday mornings and also wear it as a ski jacket. It's great to show people on the slopes that medical care is skiing beside you. It also has the "superman" effect with the wind blowing underneath it - makes it look like a cape, too.

I plan on wearing mine with a tiara, also, for added "importance" and "credibility".

Originally posted by emily69
I was planning on doubling the usage out of my white coat - use it as a bathrobe on lazy Sunday mornings and also wear it as a ski jacket. It's great to show people on the slopes that medical care is skiing beside you. It also has the "superman" effect with the wind blowing underneath it - makes it look like a cape, too.

I plan on wearing mine with a tiara, also, for added "importance" and "credibility".

OMG I love you!! :laugh:

Originally posted by ms. a
While I was sitting outside the security checkpoint at the airport this Sunday, waiting to pick up my husband from a trip, I saw a doctor standing in the security line. How did I know he was a doctor? Well, he not only had on his tell-tale green scrubs, but he was still wearing his long white coat! On the upper left side, I could clearly see the letters M.D. sewn in red thread. Seriously, is it really necessary to continue wearing the coat? It's not like he had to wear it because he was cold - he had a sweatshirt in his hand. Even if he had rushed from his shift, he had time, standing around in line, to take it off. There have been plenty of times that my husband came straight from an ER shift to the airport in a hurry and still managed to take off his coat every time.

Please, once you get that white coat, only wear it at work and when absolutely necessary. Otherwise, you just look like you're trying desparately to brag.

I plan on sneaking in my future children onto a plane for free underneath that white coat.

"I plan on sneaking in my future children onto a plane for free underneath that white coat."

But then they'll think your just fat and make you buy another plane ticke!

Originally posted by Gleevec
I plan on sneaking in my future children onto a plane for free underneath that white coat.

damn penny pinching jlee didnt even think of that!!
im ashamed of myself...thanks for the tip glee.

ive worn mine in the sack ...

while we were role playing ...

and it was "cops & robbers."

i'm with you, ms. a. i think doctors who do this...even other scientist...are either insecure,lazy or as you said "love to brag". at the least can't it also be a health hazard if something hazardous spilled on the coat?

Agreed. It is far better to get "Doctor, SUCKA" tatooed across your forehead.
CCW

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the guy just didn't feel like carrying an extra item in his hand since, afterall, he was already carrying at least his sweatshirt and probably a bag or two. I don't know about you but I always try to keep my hands free while fumbling for my ticket and ID. Or, maybe he just thought it would decrease his chances of being detained for security reasons. I'm just not sure he was trying to boast about his profession. Call me skeptical but I'm willing to bet that if your husband is an MD you could come up with more annoying instances of showmanship.

How's your marriage anyhow?

i d ont see what the big deal is. maybe he was called to the airport for a family emergency, and taking off his jacket was the last thing on his mind. you don't know the full story.

i on the other hand, plan on getting that white jacket permanently glued to my body. i am paying a lot of money for it, you better believe i want everyone to know what i am. ;)

Originally posted by Gleevec

I plan on conceiving my children in that white coat!

Maybe he was just plain absent minded: you know, originally planned to take the damned coat off and then forgot when he was goign thru the motions...
I know there have been LOTS of times when got on the metro with my school ID tag still showing prominently, prompting silly people to be like "Hi,...." and having me wonder how they knew my name and the school that I go to :D

Originally posted by uclacrewdude
ive worn mine in the sack ...

while we were role playing ...

and it was "cops & robbers."

you have an odd relationship with your homies

Originally posted by irie
you have an odd relationship with your homos

if youre gonna reference my sexual ambiguity, at least learn to spell correctly :laugh:

mmm... flashing people with my white coat when I become an old quazi-retired physician... They'll relegate it to being okay because I'm old, yet at the same time they won't tell me to stop practicing medicine, because no one will have the heart.

Muhahahhahah....:laugh:

I plan on wearing my coat to church and maybe even when I go out to pick up groceries. And why have M.D. embroidered on the top left hand side of the jacket when you've got all that space on the back to spell out the words MEDICAL DOCTOR???

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
I plan on conceiving my children in that white coat!

Yeah, I read in Cosmo that blood and pus smears across a white coat really brings out a chick's libido.

Maybe they will start selling white coats brand new that looked used like that, kinda like those new jeans that are already dirty and ripped. Artificial pus surely deserves the Nobel Prize in Tapestry.

Wear your doctor's coat outside if your eager to be robbed.

Originally posted by Cerberus
I plan on getting MD4LIFE on my license plates.

Too funny. I made a sales visit to Baylor University today and saw a Missouri plate SRGN2B.

I had to laugh, considering how many undergrads start as pre-meds, but they are really pre-business and don't know it yet:laugh:

To the OP,

Who the hell cares? I think your observation reflects much more negatively on you then on this guy. I'd think this guy stripping off his white coat for no reason other than to hide his profession would just show insecurity. Would that please you more? You don't know his story.

Seriously, leave people to their own bidding. If you actually knew this person than I'd understand. Do you criticize every person you see who wears tight clothes to show off their body? Or pilots for wearing the uniforms and hats around the airport when they could hide them. I see construction people wearing their overalls around all the time, shouldn't they be forced to change to? I think drawing some type of conclusion about someone the way you have done is simply ******ed. I can't imagine you're a lot of fun to be around.

I mean seriously... who are you to judge?

i was leaving a bar the other night and there was a man outside wearing only green surgical scrubs in the cold. He had three pagers on his waist and was talking to his answering service at the top of his lungs.

Yeah, we get it.... you're a doctor...

And I'd bet the guy was short too(under 5'8''):laugh:

Every time i pick my siblings up from school, there's a father that comes in his chef "attire" to pick up his kids; hat, and everything.... now that's weird.

Originally posted by DrSal
Every time i pick my siblings up from school, there's a father that comes in his chef "attire" to pick up his kids; hat, and everything.... now that's weird.

that's either the luckiest or unluckiest kid at school... I can't figure out which.

And no one's giving Dr. Airport the benefit of the doubt?

I've always wanted to know, are there designer white coats? Like with Burberry trim or Murakami monogram? That would be awesome.

I'm willing to bet, and hope the guy had a legit reason.....

He may have flown for emergency reasons (immediately family issues....maybe all he had was teh sweatshirt).

People like to fly in comfort (especially long flights), why not scrubs? If you already have teh scrubs on, which do you hold in your hands, the white coat or teh sweatshirt? Maybe he was just a bit cold, but not too cold? More importnatly, there may be stuff in teh white coat pocket he didn't want falling out.

Remember, when you wear something for hundreds upon hundreds of hours, you forget that it is there.

Then again, there are people who would be all about picking up girls by telling them they are med students (called "the M-Bomb".

Originally posted by medic8m
i was leaving a bar the other night and there was a man outside wearing only green surgical scrubs in the cold. He had three pagers on his waist and was talking to his answering service at the top of his lungs.

Yeah, we get it.... you're a doctor...

Many days residents get off of work at 8pm or later and if they didn't wear regular clothes to work it can be easier to just wear scrubs out instead of going all the way home. And those three pagers. They are NOT for show and are most residents and attendings most hated possession. As for the talking on the phone at the top of his lungs, thats either stupid or a bad connection.

Originally posted by DrSal

I bet he isn't a real Chef.. He probably just thinks big hats are cool. Sometimes I go out wearing a baseball hat, I'm not a baseball player, I just like the hat..

chances are he is just a tool

Why should we worry about hiding our white coats from the public? Is it offensive for a doctor to wear his (or her, this being the 21st century and all) white coat out, after all? If it is, somebody has issues..

Just like the public, attacking us medical folk every chance they get +pity+

should i be pissed off that the fedex guy wears his uniform when he's in line next to me at mcdonalds.

Originally posted by Zweihander
There are surely more worthwhile things in the world to get angry over than this.
:rolleyes:

I agree, but it's still pretentious. I don't mind so much the scrubs, because I can understand being too wiped out to change clothes. But really, you can leave the white coat in the car. The driver's seat headrest makes a nice hanger in a pinch.

Originally posted by exmike
should i be pissed off that the fedex guy wears his uniform when he's in line next to me at mcdonalds.

yes! those damn shorts are just TOO COOL....rar! why cant i have a pair...grrr.

Originally posted by emily69

:laugh: Great post!

Well if he's anything like me he was probably lost and didn't know where he was.

Hmm, maybe that isn't the best trait for a doctor...

Oh well, that's what malpractice insurance is for.

Originally posted by exgatr
Well if he's anything like me he was probably lost and didn't know where he was.

I sure hope he wasn't lost. He was standing in the the security line with two other people for 30 minutes (for some reason, the line wasn't moving). If he was lost, he was about to have a run-in with security for not being a ticketed passenger! He did not seem eto be in a hurry. He and his travel companions looked quite bored, chatting from time to time. The scrubs I don't mind. Those are understandable.

Originally posted by SunnyS81

Then again, there are people who would be all about picking up girls by telling them they are med students (called "the M-Bomb".

Yeah, Ive heard of this.. There is also what lawyers call the "L-Bomb" There is also what Harvard grads call the "H-Bomb". I think it will get your foot in the door with the ladies. However, a dork who is a doctor is still a dork.

Originally posted by medic8m
Yeah, Ive heard of this.. There is also what lawyers call the "L-Bomb" There is also what Harvard grads call the "H-Bomb". I think it will get your foot in the door with the ladies. However, a dork who is a doctor is still a dork.

FYI- The "F-Bomb" doesn't work:(