When you interview don't do this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FixItUp Chappie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In anticipation of the Derm interview season, I thought it might be good to provide some comic relief and encouraging advice to those starting the interview cycle.

We've all made embarrassing mistakes on the Derm interview trail. Most of us still matched. We've probably witnessed even worse slips by other interviewees.

1. What is your most embarrassing interview mistake?

2. What is the most cringe-worthy (or funniest) slip-up have you seen on the interview trail.

I'll go first:

1. I called the Program Director at one my interviews by their first name, to their face. Got an interesting/amusing look of disapproval.

2a. At a pre-interview dinner/drinks, another interviewee loudly mentioned to us that that he would "NEVER consider ranking this program" because of the location - with 2 senior residents standing right behind him. They obviously noticed but didn't call him out. None of us in the group told him.

2b. At a TY interview - A guy showed up in blue jeans and a polo.

Members don't see this ad.

At one program an interviewer asked me what the last book I read was. As an homage to former Governor Palin's series of successful interviews with Katie Couric, I responded "Uh... all of 'em, any of 'em I've come across over all these years." The interviewer neither understood nor appreciated that joke.

More on the serious than funny but along the lines of what not to do...

Please, stay off your smart phones when in the common room with residents! If you HAVE TO check it, excuse yourself to the bathroom. Every second you are around faculty/residents is an interview. Nothing demonstrates apathy/disinterest/social awkwardness than not engaging in conversation with fellow applicants or residents. While interview fatigue can definitely set in by the end of January, at the absolute minimum, listen in on group conversations rather than burying your head in your iphone. Now back to embarrassing mistakes...

More on the serious than funny but along the lines of what not to do...

Please, stay off your smart phones when in the common room with residents! If you HAVE TO check it, excuse yourself to the bathroom. Every second you are around faculty/residents is an interview. Nothing demonstrates apathy/disinterest/social awkwardness than not engaging in conversation with fellow applicants or residents. While interview fatigue can definitely set in by the end of January, at the absolute minimum, listen in on group conversations rather than burying your head in your iphone. Now back to embarrassing mistakes...

This!