When you say PS is calculation heavy do you mean..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you mean:

1) Same basic concepts.. but just a higher number of calculation problems
2) More complex concepts involving calculations

If you look at the AAMC PS, you have a couple of "trick" questions... but the majority of them are pretty straightforward. The ones that require calculations test simple concepts... they just take longer.

So was it a time limit issue... as in.. if you were given more time, you would have been able to finish faster... or was it stuff you had never dreamt of seeing before?

Members don't see this ad.

My PS had some calculations, but they all were fairly straight forward. No stupid complex derivations like Kaplan. Some of it was just plug and chug into a formula that the passage provides. Some are from numbers that the passage provides.

I have a question regarding the PS that correlates with this one.

The actual passages: Are they harder to figure out and were you like WTF when reading them?

On Kaplan and AAMC, I can always figure them out quickly and get through it, but on these killer PS I have heard about, I am a little nervous.

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated!!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like the techniques TBR teaches would really come in handy here.. anyone else using TBR have any thoughts on this?

I have not used the TBR technique, but I really want to know what is it about. Could you describe it in a few sentences if you don't mind and if it is possible?

Sounds like the techniques TBR teaches would really come in handy here.. anyone else using TBR have any thoughts on this?

which techniques you are talking about? If there are too many calculations, even simple ones, it still takes a long time to make sure that there are no mistakes.

Or dry erase board and markers (which i had on my test on the 24th :thumbdown:)

then you get high from the marker. I think it is extremely stupid. How much paper can you really save... it will be recycled anyways.

Their idea is that all the work has already been done for you, i.e. the answer choices. You just have to approximate your answer, and more often than not, it is close or distinct enough. And they recommend specific ways to do that... and you use these when you practice. So for instance, I more or less automatically calculate logarithms in my mind now; all you need to know is the values for log 2 and log 3 and you can solve for any logarithm. The general idea behind TBR regarding calculations is that you don't get credit for showing your work... so as long as your math skills in terms of approximating and comparing high/end values are kept sharp, you won't need to waste time doing calculations on PS.