When you study: Books or Notes ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD_DREAMING

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of those that are currently in dental school, do you use study from your class notes mostly or do you study more from the book? Also, can you get away without having to read the book several times before a lecture and is reading over detailed notes enough? Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

DMD_DREAMING said:
For all of those that are currently in dental school, do you use study from your class notes mostly or do you study more from the book? Also, can you get away without having to read the book several times before a lecture and is reading over detailed notes enough? Thanks,

For the most part class notes are detailed enough that you will not need to resort to the book. Further, you will find that the amount of material you learn in a given time period is so large that reading each text book just becomes time consuming. For me, the text book is secondary if lecture notes need clarification. In certain classes, like dental anatomy (and epidemiology :eek: ), the textbook is always a valuble resource.

I haven't used any books this semester (first year) and am averaging a high B. If you want to ace all your classes you are going to have to buy some books though (like histology and gross)

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading a dental anatomy book right now, hope that answers your question.

The Musketeer said:
Two words: TEST FILES!!!

No way man ! I depended too much on our test files. Sux ! Failed my last couple tests. No more, I'm hitting the books now.

I don't study, I'm a genius. But, if I were to study, I'd like use the book when I needed clearing up, or if my prof. was hard to understand and I didn't get anything out of lecture. But I don't study, I'm sure other, inferior people do... ask them..

aphistis said:
Notes all the way. I've barely cracked a book in a year and a half.

i bought almost every book that IUSD asked me to buy. i only wish i had listened to Aphistis and not bought them. not only that reading books won't help me, i simply don't have the time for it. i look at the lectures slides and read the class notes and then make my own side notes on those slides.