Where and when are the new dental schools opening?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robf

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard one will open in AZ, one in VA, and one in NC. Does anybody know which city or year of opening? Will they be part of universities?

Members don't see this ad.

robf said:
I heard one will open in AZ, one in VA, and one in NC. Does anybody know which city or year of opening? Will they be part of universities?
the dentist im shadowing said the one in NC will be opening at Eastern Carolina University i think...

ECU will most likely be opening in 2010(possibly 2009). 50 seats and probably only open to NC residents. I would love to be in the first class.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would count a school open until is open ! :)

Isn't there supposed to be one in Hawaii???

I read that VA is opening one next year:

In 2007, the Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM) will accept students at its new dental school. But hasnt Virgina already opened?

Source: New Dental Schools Meeting the needs in underserved areas:
http://www.agd.org/library/2004/oct/gater.asp

rocknightmare said:
i would count a school open until is open ! :)

I agree. There have been rumors circulating for years about various states and various schools. After reading and hearing about the Hawaii dental school fiasco last year I would research any new school very carefully (parent institution, etc.).

Seems that Virigina College, not VCU, is opening a Dental School for the 2008 cycle, anyone have anymore info on this?

I even heard that University of Delaware would be opening a dental school as well....

Like it has been mentioned before the University of Utah is trying to get a dental school sometime within the next couple of years.

something is wrong here. So Chicago, an area with 8 or 9 million has closed 2 dental schools in the past years to only have one now, and the Phoenix valley an area of 3 million or so is opening another one to have 2, and the company is from Chicago that is opening the new one? Weird stuff. Phoenix will have plenty of dentists, thats probably about it. Just like here is Vegas, how many students are going to graduate and go and practice in Ely, Winnemucca, Battle Mtn, or some other small town in the middle of nowhere Nevada? They will all stay right here in Las Vegas, just like phoenix. Sounds like Chicago is the place to practice

S Files said:
Pouring money into new dental schools, when instead the answer is to use that money to bring in existing dentists/new graduates from other schools. heck i would move to rural az for the right loan forgiveness package.

North Carolina used to send us multiple offers of "Come work in rural NC for loan forgiveness" prior to graduation. We were in NY, I imagine they sent them to lots of graduates from other states as well. Maybe no one took them up on it and now they figure this is the solution?

And with the "faculty shortage" we've been hearing about for years, where exactly are all the faculty to staff these places going to come from?

griffin04 said:
North Carolina used to send us multiple offers of "Come work in rural NC for loan forgiveness" prior to graduation. We were in NY, I imagine they sent them to lots of graduates from other states as well. Maybe no one took them up on it and now they figure this is the solution?

And with the "faculty shortage" we've been hearing about for years, where exactly are all the faculty to staff these places going to come from?

Good points. I was one of those ppl. who looked into working in rural areas - not NC, but PA, OH and NY. The loan forgiveness and other incentives weren't good enough (i.e. of the people who apply, not everyone will get it loan forgiveness. salaries, etc just weren't competitive enough to other offers). So what i'm saying is make an offer i can't refuse and i will relocate.

same thing with faculty shortages - offer faculty something similar to what they will make in private practice, and they will come. on the other hand keep opening up new schools, and keep graduating students with enormous debt and you will see them flock to private practice.

it's not about #'s all the time. it's about the $. in the meantime those who dedicate themselves to academia, public health, underserved are doing it for altruistic reasons, at a very high pay cut and i admire them for that.

DIRTIE said:
something is wrong here. So Chicago, an area with 8 or 9 million has closed 2 dental schools in the past years to only have one now, and the Phoenix valley an area of 3 million or so is opening another one to have 2, and the company is from Chicago that is opening the new one? Weird stuff. Phoenix will have plenty of dentists, thats probably about it. Just like here is Vegas, how many students are going to graduate and go and practice in Ely, Winnemucca, Battle Mtn, or some other small town in the middle of nowhere Nevada? They will all stay right here in Las Vegas, just like phoenix. Sounds like Chicago is the place to practice

What's wrong? It's like never tell anyone about the great fishing hole you have found unless you want to engage in combat fishing the next time you go back. Same here. The predents have been trash talking the premeds about the good life after professional school causing the premeds to become believers. The premeds are now crossing over and the dental school construction market smells money ;) :laugh:

I emailed Dixie Tooke-Rawlins of VCOM and asked her about the dental school rumor and here's what she said...

WE are planning a dental school but doubt we will have it open prior to 2008, possibly 2009 according to the accreditation schedule, which we do not have control over
I wish you well and if you do not apply prior to then, think of us
DTRawlins

I'm a Virginia resident so this is possible good news for me. Hope that helps some of you guys who were curious.

DIRTIE said:
ECU will only be open to NC residents(most likely staying in NC after grad), so if they can get just 15% of their graduates to practice in eastern Carolina, it would be a big help. It probably wouldn't take big incentives to get NC residents to relocate to other parts of NC. That would be 7-8 dentist per year coming into a place where some counties have zero dentist. Of course this is if it works :D Overall, North Carolina ranks 47th in dentist-to-population ratio.