Where are steroids produced in the cell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UIUCstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Steroid hormones are produced in the Mitochondria.
The 5 steroid hormones are cholesterol (produced in cytosol) derivatives - glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids, androgen, progesterone, and esterdoil(estrogen).

However, according to few study books, and wiki "smooth endoplasmic reticulums synthesize lipids and steroids, metabolize carbohydrates and steroids, and regulate calcium concentration, drug detoxification, and attachment of receptors on cell membrane proteins."

so, where are they synthesized? the SER or Mitochondrian? is there a difference between steroid hormones and steroids?

This was from a DAT thread that didn't seem to get resolved..well for me anyway. When I was reading BR and it said cholesterol was converted to steroids in the mitochondria I was a bit confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Primarily in the sER, but they are dependent on mitochondria as well:

"The rate-limiting step of steroid synthesis is the conversion of cholesterol to pregnenolone, which occurs inside the mitochondrion." - Wikipedia (Steroid)

I guess if it's this ambiguous, then they'll provide info in the passage or exclude one of it from the answer choices.