Where are the mods???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted547339

I got a message from a moderator who I’ve never heard of warning me because apparently I ruffled the feathers of someone from a different specialty in the tPA forum. My first thought was “where are our mods” - I checked and it says we no longer have moderators in this sub. What happened to our mods in this sub? Until a few months ago (when I took a break from sdn), I really enjoyed this forum since it was mostly regularly who had informed opinions with fairly liberal moderating policies. What happened? Where did our mods go?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the longest time, we only had one mod. I knew him IRL in the distant past, but not recently. More recently, he, very abruptly, deleted his account. I don't know why, but there was talk of doxxing and threats. That leaves whatever dregs to administer.

I think we need an EP to serve as a moderator for the EM forum.

What ever happened to starting with a warning comment instead of immediately just locking a thread? This prevents any further discussion on a topic, which may end up being fruitful in other ways. It’s harder to carry on side discussions, as it seems pointless to have go to all of the effort of making a brand new thread just because a moderator didn’t like one part of an ongoing thread. Completely locking a thread from the start seems overly aggressive and counter to the point of even having SDN where physicians can communicate freely. If every comment is so heavily scrutinized and sensored then why are we participating anonymously instead of being required to use our true identities?
That is really, REALLY poor form to anonymously lock a thread. In fact, that is just cowardly.

If one wants to squash dissent or disagreement, that's the low road way to do it. And, what IS SDN without members and discussion? It is zero, nada, nothing, the null set.

Members don't see this ad :)
wasn't it Dr. Ninja? he left.

That other thread, the tPA thread, got really nasty really quickly. Why did that happen? It wasn't necessary.

That is really, REALLY poor form to anonymously lock a thread. In fact, that is just cowardly.

If one wants to squash dissent or disagreement, that's the low road way to do it. And, what IS SDN without members and discussion? It is zero, nada, nothing, the null set.

Yea but that thread turned to caca real quick. I don't understand why we have to be so mean.

Aww man, I hadn't even realized McNinja deleted his account. I think the only mod we have now is southerndoc, who I'm sure can't be everywhere at once. I volunteered awhile back but don't think I was deemed worthy which is totally fine.

I missed that TPA thread. Now that I'm reading it though, I don't see anything that crossed the line or warranted locking the thread. There could have been some continued good discussion in there. In fact, we need a good TPA thread. Personally, I'm fine with heated debates as long as things remain civil and there is no name calling, etc.. I'm even fine with the occasional roasting when it's deserved. That being said, the world is quickly being overtaken by the emotionally fragile grievance mongers.

Aww man, I hadn't even realized McNinja deleted his account. I think the only mod we have now is southerndoc, who I'm sure can't be everywhere at once. I volunteered awhile back but don't think I was deemed worthy which is totally fine.

I missed that TPA thread. Now that I'm reading it though, I don't see anything that crossed the line or warranted locking the thread. There could have been some continued good discussion in there. In fact, we need a good TPA thread. Personally, I'm fine with heated debates as long as things remain civil and there is no name calling, etc.. I'm even fine with the occasional roasting when it's deserved. That being said, the world is quickly being overtaken by the emotionally fragile grievance mongers.
Southerndoc is no longer a mod. The tag he has says "Moderator Emeritus"

And as someone with no stake in that other thread (neither TPA nor undifferentiated comatose patient are things I ever deal with), there were 2 problems there.

First, several of the posters here were jerks to the neurology resident. I didn't find either of his first 2 posts objectionable. One even said he/she didn't expect anyone other than a neurologist to do a full neuro exam on a patient like the one described. The other merely stated what was done at his academic center. If his post showed ignorance of the ED, now would be a great time to have educated him/her. On the other hand, a negative interaction with the ED can stick with people and you end up with people who do all of the things y'all complain about because "screw this jackass EPs".

Second, the Dr. Tapatio guy who came in at the end. I've been getting troll vibes from that guy for a few weeks now. Either that or he/she is just a huge asshat. Wouldn't surprise me if that is why the thread got locked.

Reactions: 6 users
Southerndoc is no longer a mod. The tag he has says "Moderator Emeritus"

And as someone with no stake in that other thread (neither TPA nor undifferentiated comatose patient are things I ever deal with), there were 2 problems there.

First, several of the posters here were jerks to the neurology resident. I didn't find either of his first 2 posts objectionable. One even said he/she didn't expect anyone other than a neurologist to do a full neuro exam on a patient like the one described. The other merely stated what was done at his academic center. If his post showed ignorance of the ED, now would be a great time to have educated him/her. On the other hand, a negative interaction with the ED can stick with people and you end up with people who do all of the things y'all complain about because "screw this jackass EPs".

Second, the Dr. Tapatio guy who came in at the end. I've been getting troll vibes from that guy for a few weeks now. Either that or he/she is just a huge asshat. Wouldn't surprise me if that is why the thread got locked.

Maybe I was a jerk - but I wasn’t obscene and I’m pretty sure I’ve had that same conversation with the same person before, which is why it escalated quickly. Regardless, a “simmer down” would have been more appropriate, not locking. There needs to be an EP as the mod of this forum.

Come back Ninja.

How did you volunteer? What’s the process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Exposing someone's identity online, like if someone said, "Southerndoc's name is Marshall Mathers, and he works at St. John's in Detroit, and he lives at 3562 8 Mile Road, and his phone number is 818-867-5309", that sort of thing.

You mean this whole time, and I didn't know @southerndoc was a great rapper?!
;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

I think you’re much more worthy than the person who has been a member for 2y and is (I think?) a med student who I’ve never heard of before and locked a thread.

I think you’re much more worthy than the person who has been a member for 2y and is (I think?) a med student who I’ve never heard of before and locked a thread.
Might be worth getting a bunch of you EM regulars together and nominate a few people to be mods, see if any of them pass whatever screening process SDN uses. That way there's a better chance of getting someone y'all respect into the job.

Reactions: 2 users
Might be worth getting a bunch of you EM regulars together and nominate a few people to be mods, see if any of them pass whatever screening process SDN uses. That way there's a better chance of getting someone y'all respect into the job.

I mean, literally almost everyone on this thread would work. Veers, gro, Apollyon, deadcactus, Wilco, groove, genius, southern. Birdstrike.

I mean, literally almost everyone on this thread would work. Veers, gro, Apollyon, deadcactus, Wilco, groove, genius, southern. Birdstrike.
Some of those could. Several I think wouldn't stand a chance.

I know you didn't ask, but I think @gamerEMdoc would be great at it.

Reactions: 7 users

Some would be too salty for SDNs taste (cough, Veers, cough), but I think all of the forum regulars would be fine with it. Agree with gamer doc. Basically anyone who is one of the usual suspects would be fine.

Just wanted to let you all know we're discussing that thread. It did get really nasty really quickly, so we locked it while we discussed what to do.

We miss Ninja too. Feel free to send me a PM if anyone has some suggestions for a new EM moderator.

Agree with Gamer. I don't think the rest of you could. Let's be real, most of you are far too political to one side or another.

Just wanted to let you all know we're discussing that thread. It did get really nasty really quickly, so we locked it while we discussed what to do.

We miss Ninja too. Feel free to send me a PM if anyone has some suggestions for a new EM moderator.

Thanks. Did I get a little hot? Yes. I could have been a little cooler. But I think I’m right to take serious offense to some resident from a different specialty coming into a sub forum to say what is and isn’t supposed to happen in my specialty. It happens all the time in EM - everyone else thinks they know what we do or what we should do without understanding the field. The second guy was a troll and I got baited - that was my mistake.

Agree with Gamer. I don't think the rest of you could. Let's be real, most of you are far too political to one side or another.

Maybe, but I feel like most of the people on this forum have been around a while and know the ropes. It’s definitely a different forum than several of the others. Having opinions and having the ability to be impartial are two different things. Should I be one of the mods? No. But a lot of other folks could do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe, but I feel like most of the people on this forum have been around a while and know the ropes. It’s definitely a different forum than several of the others. Having opinions and having the ability to be impartial are two different things. Should I be one of the mods? No. But a lot of other folks could do it.
There is truth in that. I liked McNinja, but dude did have some strong opinions.

There is truth in that. I liked McNinja, but dude did have some strong opinions.

Agree - McNinja was a good mod in spite of his opinions, not because of them. We disagreed on quite a bit, but were able to do so productively & thus often were able to learn that we also agreed on important points.

Last edited:
I can't be a mod (I'm on double super-secret probation....). I don't envy them their jobs having to close threads, and warn people.

That being said I have noticed a shift in the policies, and the behavior of the mods in the last couple of years.

I'll come out of my den.

I was asked to be a mod a few years back; but quickly declined.
The fox can't guard the henhouse; and I would have a full "Hands-Off" approach, encouraging freedom of speech.

Yes, he would be great, but that's the problem - he already has (at least) 2 jobs. He would, I think, knowing him just a little, be compelled to do a good job, but there's only so much time.

I see that the "Social EM" thread has been deleted (unless I'm wrong; I can be wrong... I freely admit it).
I would have loved to chime in on that.

But "Rekt" said it best:

"Shut up and be a doctor."

• Haha
I see that the "Social EM" thread has been deleted (unless I'm wrong; I can be wrong... I freely admit it).
I would have loved to chime in on that.

But "Rekt" said it best:

"Shut up and be a doctor."

It's there, dude!

"Social EM"

Really?

How about EM is for EM and addiction medicine is for addiction medicine.
And social services is for social services.

You asked me to be a doctor.
I did my job. I did the doctoring.
Now; you do your job.

I’m honestly shocked this thread wasn’t immediately locked and my account put on hold. That’s what I figured would happen when I woke up this morning.

• Haha
Apollyon would be excellent. I appreciate the sentiment of the nomination, but I don't think I could keep up with it.

He reads the EM forum extensively, is well-versed in the ToS, and he's often critical of the mods. Who better to be a moderator?

How did you volunteer? What’s the process?

Send a mod a PM that you are interested.

This is probably better.

Uh, no.

Either the forum needs to police itself a little better or needs to come up with a consensus pick for mod who "knows the ropes" and also the regulars. SDN mod policy has tightened up in the last years. Site-wide moderation doesn't always set too well in the physician forums since we are all grown ups and most of us have been on here a long time. If you don't have an EM mod then you run the risk of some random mod swooping in when maybe it isn't indicated. Or me giving out some ham-fisted infractions or some such.

Maybe we could get Quinn back! He was awesome!

You're joking, right? That was over 14 years ago. He was fine, but, I think you have recall/nostalgia bias.

How many people here even remember Quinn? I do, but it’s a short list of posters who have been on SDN for 20 years.

Whatever happened to him? I haven't seen him around in eons.
He took his charisma, HIS model-pretty looks, and his cheerleader wife (seriously - pro cheerleader), and took a sweet-ass job in Wisconsin, and didn't look back. Looks like his account is, in the words of Chilliwack, gone gone gone, been gone so long.

How many people here even remember Quinn? I do, but it’s a short list of posters who have been on SDN for 20 years.
Hell, I remember you when you were a resident. Now, you are f'n black letter rich.

Back when I was a resident, there was an attending who told me that "institutional memory is 4 years". After that, you're gone, into the vapors of time and history, rarely thought of, and never missed. The rivers of temporality wash away any trace of you or what you did or were, except a sole, stark moment of something you may have monumentally screwed up. Otherwise, you're a fart in the cosmic wind.

Reactions: 4 users
So let me set the record straight here, just for posterity: I locked the thread because a flurry of reports was coming in (from your colleagues in the EM forum who have been long-standing members) and rather than letting the dumpster fire continue to burn (again, as many of your long-term EM forum colleagues have already indicated that it was). This is standard fare until either the forum specific mod can sort out the problem, or, in this case, that a quorum of staff members could evaluate the situation (ie, it's temporary until it is decided to be reopened or shut down permanently).

The problem occurred because I mistakenly marked the report as resolved after I put the lock on the thread, so it caused some confusion and that's my fault. By all means, someone please step up and volunteer their time to moderate, otherwise, as stated, you end up with site-wide moderation from admins and we abide by the TOS. Or, if you are really unlucky, you will get under Arch's collar and I've seen him wipe rosters clean of 15+ year members for threads that have deteriorated to a less degree than the TPA thread.

Also, as a side note, yes, I'm a medical student but I'm also probably older than most of you, as well as a decorated combat veteran, so before you call me a "coward" or a "dreg," I'd appreciate it if you at least get to know me first :)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Oh man - so passive/aggressive. If you are a combat vet - first, God's honest truth, thank you for your service, and thank heavens that you got home safely. But, as a combat vet, you know that trust extends to the soldier/sailor/Marine right next to you. I stand by my use of "dregs", as that is historical on SDN. That is not up to debate. My point was that one stands up, clearly, in the light, for what one does. Anonymous moderating has no honor, because, as Paul Newman said, "A man with no enemies is a man with no character". Stand up for what you stand, or what you believe. I'm telling you, after 19 years on SDN (appeal to authority), after the fact moderation looks REALLY weak. No character in that.