Where? Ccom or Tcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zfarooq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I got into both ccom and tcom. I also factored in cost and it will cost me about 70 thousand more over the course of 4 years to stay in chicago as opposed to going to texas. Taking that into consideration, where would you guys go....? Which school do you think is better? Do you think cost should affect my decision that much? And does anyone know the allopathic match rates for top three choices for one or both schools? I need to make a decision by the end of tonight...hahaha

Members don't see this ad.

Alright guys, I got into both ccom and tcom. I also factored in cost and it will cost me about 70 thousand more over the course of 4 years to stay in chicago as opposed to going to texas. Taking that into consideration, where would you guys go....? Which school do you think is better? Do you think cost should affect my decision that much? And does anyone know the allopathic match rates for top three choices for one or both schools? I need to make a decision by the end of tonight...hahaha

I have heard nothing but good things about TCOM, that 70 thousand you save is before interest so take that into consideration. I know both match very well, I would say go to TCOM, save some money, you're going to a great school either way!

Members don't see this ad :)
No brainer: TCOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TCOM no doubt, a lot cheaper, good facilities, and a good track record of graduates matching into competitive specialties. Been around for a while etc..

Sigh.. I envy these Texans.... But seriously, it's not even a question: TCOM! It'll be between 80k-160k cheaper.

Sigh.. I envy these Texans.... But seriously, it's not even a question: TCOM! It'll be between 80k-160k cheaper.

he's not from texas...

both schools are good...just depends where you'll be happier :)

Go to TCOM. Great reputation/match results + lower COA = winner.

Lol you got accepted to CCOM and are saying I should go to TCOM? Please explain!

Teach me! How does one who is not from Texas ascend the ladder into cheap medical school?
And he's telling you to go to TCOM as CCOM is going to cost you hundreds of thousands more and CCOM is no Harvard. Not to mention TCOM's step 1 scores are higher than most DO schools.

Where did you get accepted?

I got accepted to a handful of schools, look at my mdapps for details, but i chose the school i did for a lot of personal reasons. With the factors you gave me to influence your decision i would choose TCOM. There are other factors to consider such as cost of living (once again money saved by going to TCOM), whether or not you like/hate/love the areas both schools are in, and if you have a significant other like i do the job market in the area.

The one thing that does worry me about TCOM is I heard that they recently changed their curriculum, it seems some people like it others hate it.... Someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I am mistaken

TCOM....better reputation, lower tuition, most research funding among all DO schools...

I don't know about changes to curriculum, but I do know that TCOM has a very intense schedule. They go 8-5 virtually every day and have shorter summers than the other Texas schools. Perhaps this is just characteristic of osteopathic schools. TCOM was the only DO school I interviewed for so I cannot compare the curriculum other than to the MD schools in Texas. Having said that, go to TCOM. I have worked with numerous graduates of TCOM and have been impressed with each one. My experience is that graduates of TCOM are terrific clinicians who care a great deal for their patients. Downtown Fort Worth is a great area, and you can't go wrong with the price.

Also, don't sweat the decision. You got into two great schools and either route will serve you well. Congrats!:D

TCOM all the way. Less expensive, better scores, Texas rocks. OK, that last one may be a little biased, because I'm in Texas.:laugh:

Obviously I'm hoping for TCOM myself! Although I spent a while living in Chicago and it's a beautiful place too.

I got accepted to a handful of schools, look at my mdapps for details, but i chose the school i did for a lot of personal reasons. With the factors you gave me to influence your decision i would choose TCOM. There are other factors to consider such as cost of living (once again money saved by going to TCOM), whether or not you like/hate/love the areas both schools are in, and if you have a significant other like i do the job market in the area.

The one thing that does worry me about TCOM is I heard that they recently changed their curriculum, it seems some people like it others hate it.... Someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I am mistaken

So overall I wouldn't say the curriculum has changed. What has changed is the second year grading/testing schedule and our omm director. It seems like they have made second year a hard core by reducing the number of tests per block thereby making the tests you do have longer and ultra intense. This has been justified by saying they are preparing us for the boards. And like ^ stated some people love it and some hate it. Wish I could tell you more, it seems the tcom is unanimous on this thread but if u need more info on what first year at tcom is like shoot me a pm.

So overall I wouldn't say the curriculum has changed. What has changed is the second year grading/testing schedule and our omm director. It seems like they have made second year a hard core by reducing the number of tests per block thereby making the tests you do have longer and ultra intense. This has been justified by saying they are preparing us for the boards. And like ^ stated some people love it and some hate it. Wish I could tell you more, it seems the tcom is unanimous on this thread but if u need more info on what first year at tcom is like shoot me a pm.

Second year has also changed significantly in that if you miss class you lose points - 1 point per class. It used to be that you could study on your own without going to class if that's what you prefer (technically you were supposed to go but you lost nothing if you didn't), but now if you do that it comes at a price. I think it's important that people know this before making their decision.

Nothing against Chicago, but I'd choose TCOM. Their low tuition, clinical rotations and placement record over the years are hard to beat. It's just a good, solid medical school with a stellar reputation in Texas.

Reactions: 1 user
Second year has also changed significantly in that if you miss class you lose points - 1 point per class. It used to be that you could study on your own without going to class if that's what you prefer (technically you were supposed to go but you lost nothing if you didn't), but now if you do that it comes at a price. I think it's important that people know this before making their decision.

I've heard that TCOM is going PBL 2nd year which is what many MD schools are doing as well. Attendance shouldn't be a deciding factor if this is the case. (Besides, mandatory attendance is a fact of life in 3rd year, 4th year, and many years after that.)

I've heard that TCOM is going PBL 2nd year which is what many MD schools are doing as well. Attendance shouldn't be a deciding factor if this is the case. (Besides, mandatory attendance is a fact of life in 3rd year, 4th year, and many years after that.)

It's not PBL exactly, since it's not in a small group setting. It's a large lecture with questions.

While I understand that attendance is necessary for jobs and other things, many people feel that 2nd year is better when attendance is not at a premium because it gives more flexibility for studying and boards. I'm only trying to provide all the information, since it was not provided to me when I applied. We do well on the boards and we have a good reputation - those are great things. I think that "fit" is very important as well when it comes to choosing a medical school.

Unless you are from Chicago, have significant family in Chicago, or think you will be happier at CCOM, I think you should go to TCOM...Fort Worth is a nice city and they have a great reputation!!

another vote for tcom from texas.
on other tcom comments: i think everyone at tcom hates the !*#`&(@3#% exams.
but hey med school is hard. it's stuff i want to learn and i'm not gonna complain
attendance is the least of my probs and i can always sleep in class if i want lol