Where did I go wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E=mc^2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I somehow messed up the MCAT, which I cannot understand because I studied it probably 10 hours a day for probably half a year. I scored a 29 on it. I can still probably get into low tier MD schools, which is OK I guess. However, I feel like the biggest idiot in the world for my performance on the exam.

For example, I can literally name every physics equation off the top of my head in a matter of seconds. Kinimatics, P=IV, Intensity=power/area, etc. Furthermore, I understand biological interactions very very well. I even memorized the 5 layers of the epidermis from bottom to top for that test. I spent all this time memorizing every hormone, digestive enzyme, and nuerotransmitter in the human body. I memorized claisen condensation, Hoffman degregation and many many other orgo chem equations. I ended with the highest grade in my physics class and multiple other classes. Yet some of these people in my classes beat me in the sciences portion of the mcat.

This test inexplicably got me. I always held the belief that if I try hard enough for a score, I will get it. This is the first time that hasn't happened for me.

The verbal, which I dedicated probably less than 5% of my total time studying for, I scored best in. How is that even possible? I always sucked at reading and excelled in science. I haven't taken a reading class in 3 years. I MAJORED IN BIOCHEMISTRY.

Furthermore, I dominated the Kaplan tests, averaging about 35 while averaging about a 29 on the AAMC.

I ask this question kind of as a rant, but more so as a legitimate question so i don't make this mistake on the Boards or in med school. What did I do wrong? Why did I screw up so bad in the sciences? I scored 19 in biological + physical and 10 in verbal.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My guess is that this isn't a memorization test as much as this is a read the passage and critically think test. Something that I didn't study properly. Kaplan seems to be more of a memorization type test and these AAMC tests seem to all be critical thinking. But I would love to hear your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I somehow messed up the MCAT, which I cannot understand because I studied it probably 10 hours a day for probably half a year. I scored a 29 on it. I can still probably get into low tier MD schools, which is OK I guess. However, I feel like the biggest idiot in the world for my performance on the exam.

For example, I can literally name every physics equation off the top of my head in a matter of seconds. Kinimatics, P=IV, Intensity=power/area, etc. Furthermore, I understand biological interactions very very well. I even memorized the 5 layers of the epidermis from bottom to top for that test. I spent all this time memorizing every hormone, digestive enzyme, and nuerotransmitter in the human body. I memorized claisen condensation, Hoffman degregation and many many other orgo chem equations. I ended with the highest grade in my physics class and multiple other classes. Yet some of these people in my classes beat me in the sciences portion of the mcat.

This test inexplicably got me. I always held the belief that if I try hard enough for a score, I will get it. This is the first time that hasn't happened for me.

The verbal, which I dedicated probably less than 5% of my total time studying for, I scored best in. How is that even possible? I always sucked at reading and excelled in science. I haven't taken a reading class in 3 years. I MAJORED IN BIOCHEMISTRY.

Furthermore, I dominated the Kaplan tests, averaging about 35 while averaging about a 29 on the AAMC.

I ask this question kind of as a rant, but more so as a legitimate question so i don't make this mistake on the Boards or in med school. What did I do wrong? Why did I screw up so bad in the sciences? I scored 19 in biological + physical and 10 in verbal.

My guess is that this isn't a memorization test as much as this is a read the passage and critically think test. Something that I didn't study properly. Kaplan seems to be more of a memorization type test and these AAMC tests seem to all be critical thinking. But I would love to hear your opinions.

To start, what did you use to study? The MCAT is NOT a test where you need to memorize a bunch of facts and details like layers of epidermis (waste of time). The MCAT is about being able to take basic science concepts and apply it to a unique situation (passage) at hand. If you noticed, many of the physics and chemistry passages even GIVE you the formula, which again shows its not all about memorization.

Second, dont look at Kaplan tests to gauge. They are good for more "mathy" type questions, however AAMC is much more like the real thing (especially 10 and 11). Kaplan obviously gave you a false reading of where you stood in your scores. The later AAMC tests are the only practice tests that should be used to see where you would be scoring on the real exam +/- 2 points.

Hmm, first, you did not mess up your MCAT. A 29 is still a good score, and a lot of ppl in this forum will be happy to have your score. Now, general opinion is that AAMC practice test is more accurate than Kaplan; and you scored right around your AAMC average; ppl tend to score +or- 3 pts of their average, in other your score is normal given your practice test score. AND you can forget about verbal, it is more innate than anything, you scored a 10 in verbal, which is very good, you should be happy; I spent 2 months studied verbal alone and very happy to have a 9 (I am ESL students since I was 16). To sum up, I think 29 is a good score, right about your AAMC average, do not retake it unless you can prove in AAMC practice test to have constantly score 32+

Reactions: 2 users
To start, what did you use to study? The MCAT is NOT a test where you need to memorize a bunch of facts and details like layers of epidermis (waste of time). The MCAT is about being able to take basic science concepts and apply it to a unique situation (passage) at hand. If you noticed, many of the physics and chemistry passages even GIVE you the formula, which again shows its not all about memorization.

Second, dont look at Kaplan tests to gauge. They are good for more "mathy" type questions, however AAMC is much more like the real thing (especially 10 and 11). Kaplan obviously gave you a false reading of where you stood in your scores. The later AAMC tests are the only practice tests that should be used to see where you would be scoring on the real exam +/- 2 points.

I studied using examkrackers, kaplan, tbr, GS, tpr but I only started the AAMC tests the last 2 weeks. I really regret that quite a bit. Yeah, I basically used everything but the AAMC for the first 5 months lol. I thought they were overpriced at $35 a pop but I guess they really were important. I just took two of them.

AAMC 3 I scored a 26
AAMC 4 I scored a 31

I did very well in the sciences in Gold Standard, The Princeton Review, and Kaplan. I averaged about a 12 on both bio and physical and was averaging an 8 or so on the verbal. Things just got flipped upside down on the real thing. It is really strange.

Anyways, I think you are right about the AAMC thing. To me it also seems like the AAMC requires more critical thinking skills. I was getting done with GS, TPR and kaplan Bio sections with 20 minutes left. Never have I had even close to that much time left in the AAMC tests. I can't really figure out if I just a style test I wasn't used to or if there is indeed more critical thinking involved in the AAMC tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied using examkrackers, kaplan, tbr, GS, tpr but I only started the AAMC tests the last 2 weeks. I really regret that quite a bit. Yeah, I basically used everything but the AAMC for the first 5 months lol. I thought they were overpriced at $35 a pop but I guess they really were important. I just took two of them.

AAMC 3 I scored a 26
AAMC 4 I scored a 31

I did very well in the sciences in Gold Standard, The Princeton Review, and Kaplan. I averaged about a 12 on both bio and physical and was averaging an 8 or so on the verbal. Things just got flipped upside down on the real thing. It is really strange.

Anyways, I think you are right about the AAMC thing. To me it also seems like the AAMC requires more critical thinking skills. I was getting done with GS, TPR and kaplan Bio sections with 20 minutes left. Never have I had even close to that much time left in the AAMC tests. I can't really figure out if I just a style test I wasn't used to or if there is indeed more critical thinking involved in the AAMC tests.

You need at least a month to do practice exams. At least. Also, you need to make sure you are doing the later AAMC tests.

Also, you studied WAY too long. Studying for the mcat should be no more than 3-4 months. If you are studying longer than that, you will forgot information and burn out much easier.

Reactions: 2 users
Hmm, first, you did not mess up your MCAT. A 29 is still a good score, and a lot of ppl in this forum will be happy to have your score. Now, general opinion is that AAMC practice test is more accurate than Kaplan; and you scored right around your AAMC average; ppl tend to score +or- 3 pts of their average, in other your score is normal given your practice test score. AND you can forget about verbal, it is more innate than anything, you scored a 10 in verbal, which is very good, you should be happy; I spent 2 months studied verbal alone and very happy to have a 9 (I am ESL students since I was 16). To sum up, I think 29 is a good score, right about your AAMC average, do not retake it unless you can prove in AAMC practice test to have constantly score 32+

I agree with what you say on the verbal. Mainly because I find the verbal section a hit or miss. I feel i got somewhat lucky on the verbal. Believe it or not I scored a 6 a week before the test on my AAMC 3 in verbal. Somehow I jumped 4 points in a span of a week on that section. I kind of wonder how accurate this test is as a representation of how good a person is in certain subjects. It doesn't reflect my strengths and weakness at all. That is a bit troubling, but non-the-less, I can't complain because the verbal score offset my not so flattering science scores.

And thanks for the advice about the score, I really don't think I will retake. Its a respectable score, (not too great for how much effort I put into studying as a whole), but it will get me in hopefully. I am lucky to live in a state with a ton of medical schools, most of which favor in state applicants and non are too competitive. Anyways, good luck on your endeavors as well, and thanks for the opinion on my situation.

Man don't beat yourself up about it....It's really disappointing for many people who invest so much of their time on it, yet MCAT doesn't fully reflect your full capabilities.
And I kinda sense you're a texan :) That being said, a 29 is a very good score and you are bound to get lots of love from the UT schools (maybe not from UTSW but who knows?)

Reactions: 1 user
This doesn't really answer your question but I assume you took all the AAMC practice exams so you wouldn't have any new exams to practice on. Since you said you were averaging a score of 29 on the AAMC practice exams, I say stick with what you got...don't retake it. If you were averaging like 3 or more points higher on the practices then I would say retake it. 29 isn't horrible, it's an okay score...one more point would have been real nice. You still have a decent chance at some M.D. schools assuming your GPA is high and you have good ECs. Sorry you didn't get the score you wanted.....MCAT exam is much different exam than undergraduate exams.....it's all critically thinking and reading comprehension. And I agree....Kaplan exams are way different. I took a couple AAMCs and then took a Kaplan and then never took another Kaplan again because I thought it was so different. Although I am probably the only person on the planet that thinks this....I think taking practice Kaplans hurts you more than it helps....you get used to taking that kind of exam which is nothing like the AAMC.I also think that cramming for the MCAT is better than studying over a long period of time.....there is so much information that I think it is better to learn it over a short period of time (so you remember everything) and then take a bunch of practices and then the real thing. That's what I did. Studied material for 4 weeks.....took practices for 2 weeks and then took the real thing and it worked out great. Just my opinion for anyone who reads this and is going to take the MCAT at some point!

Last edited:
Like I just said in another thread, the MCAT is not about memorization. It's about understanding physics, biology, and chemistry. Not remembering the minor details.

Like I just said in another thread, the MCAT is not about memorization. It's about understanding physics, biology, and chemistry. Not remembering the minor details.

Wrong.

It's about understanding physics, biology, and chemistry AND remembering minor details.
If you want to be an MCAT hero, it's not enough to just have a fundamental understanding of the sciences. You really need to memorize all the minutiae if you want a really high score...

And to the OP,

You got your AAMC average. I don't know why you are so shocked. You get what you put in. You did yourself a disservice by only doing 2 AAMC exams.
The absolute best way of studying is doing ALL of the AAMC full lengths, ESPECIALLY 8-11, as those are the most indicative of how you would score on the real thing.

It's not the end of the word though. I'm sure you can still get a seat for the current format. If you do...TAKE ALL THE DAMN AAMC EXAMS !!!

Also the fact that you only took two AAMCs was a huge mistake...that is the most important part of preparing. Take the rest of the AAMCs and if you start scoring 32+ consistently then retake the MCAT. Good luck....

No. Perhaps we have a different definition of minor details. But in my view, every single question that appears to ask you about a random, highly specific fact can be answered correctly using general content knowledge and critical thinking, especially on the more recent tests.
I agree

Wrong.

It's about understanding physics, biology, and chemistry AND remembering minor details.
If you want to be an MCAT hero, it's not enough to just have a fundamental understanding of the sciences. You really need to memorize all the minutiae if you want a really high score...

And to the OP,

You got your AAMC average. I don't know why you are so shocked. You get what you put in. You did yourself a disservice by only doing 2 AAMC exams.
The absolute best way of studying is doing ALL of the AAMC full lengths, ESPECIALLY 8-11, as those are the most indicative of how you would score on the real thing.

It's not the end of the word though. I'm sure you can still get a seat for the current format. If you do...TAKE ALL THE DAMN AAMC EXAMS !!!

The reason I am shocked really is 1.) because of the time I put in. I cannot say I studied more than anyone for that exam, but I can say that I doubt many if any at all studied more than I did. 2.) my score on the verbal vs the sciences did not reflect my relative strengths and weaknesses in my personal opinion. Its the first test out of probably 15 tests that I scored highest in the verbal 3.) Gold Standard, Kaplan, EK, and the Princeton Review all had me at inflated numbers. I incorrectly assumed that averaging all of those would put me around my exam score, which they did not.

But yes, I think you guys are correct that the AAMC is by far the most accurate description of what a person's actual score will be. I think the best bet for me is to hopefully get into an MD school in Florida if possible, where I reside.

I appreciate the insightful comments. Practicing with AAMC tests is the best indication of your score. Which makes me wonder, for the USMLE Step 1, does anyone know the best way to study for that? Hopefully I don't have to rely on Kaplan practice exams for that lol. Long way off, but its best to learn from mistakes.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you do wrong? You didn't actually study for the test. If you want to be a good driver, memorizing all of the traffic rules and components of a car is necessary, but not sufficient to being a good driver. You need to practice driving as well. Same with the test. Doing a lot of practice passages that emphasize thinking critically with the material is what you didn't do.

It's your emphasis on rote memorization. I mentally prepared myself, told myself that I was going to understand the concepts and not the small, fine details. When I got a question wrong, I tried to understand the concept behind it. Try to focus more on getting the larger picture, rather the fine little details. You're likely to get passages with content you've never seen before on the actual MCAT, and its the concepts that come in and help you out then.

The MCAT is far more about reading and critically analyzing the paragraphs than it is about knowing anything in particular. First off, Kaplan is garbage, you should have used TBR. Second of all, you can logically deduce most answers on the MCAT if you have a very basic understanding of the material and strong skills of logical deduction.

@bararaboi and @Mad Jack
I can't help but agree to your statements from my experience with the AAMCs. But is the real MCAT primarily answerable with passage, logical reasoning, and some basic bio background. I have reviewed my biology thoroughly but I actually find myself overthinking easy questions on the AAMCs. And if what you say is true of the real MCAT, what makes the real thing so much harder than the AAMCs (as so many SDNers seem to state)?

@bararaboi and @Mad Jack
I can't help but agree to your statements from my experience with the AAMCs. But is the real MCAT primarily answerable with passage, logical reasoning, and some basic bio background. I have reviewed my biology thoroughly but I actually find myself overthinking easy questions on the AAMCs. And if what you say is true of the real MCAT, what makes the real thing so much harder than the AAMCs (as so many SDNers seem to state)?
Pressure.

Honest answer? You can literally know everything that the MCAT will test you on, but its application of concepts and more importantly test taking skills that separate the proverbially men from the boys. The MCAT doesnt assume you know every minutae there is to know, they want to see if you have the intuitive ability to figure it out the **** out without explcitly knowing the answer.

Often times, in my own MCAT study, I find a problem that there is truly NO way to flat out just KNOW, they'll give you an answer you've never seen before based on a concept thats not bio/chem/ochem/physics material that you were intended to study and know, but they put it on you as the test taker to know that all over the other familiar answer choices to be wrong, ultimately leaving the unfamilar answer choice to be correct, regardless of whether or not you know what the **** it even means.

That is just one example of how the MCAT likes to **** with your head, the test writers are very good at what they do in testing your knowledge, and also your intuition, and ability to rationalize and guess the correct answer without actually knowing the correct answer.

Its a difficult test, I wouldnt really beat yourself up over it. Take your 29 and move forward. Any score past the 30 is pretty much satisfactory as far as Adcoms go. The difference in correct responses in a score of 39 and 36 is like, what, maybe 8 questions on the whole entire test of 140 questions. So 3 per section? A 39 is like 93% and a 36 is roughly 89%.. they are BASICALLY the same thing. However if you look at national average a 39 is the near the top 99.5 % of test takers and a 36 is like top 97.1 % of test takers... the difference is negligible. Your 29 is roughly top 73% of test takers. Dont feed into the SDN neuroticism that infestates within this website.. the 29 is fine.

If you studied 10 hours a day for 6 months, and got a 29 then theres really no improving on content, your weakness lies in your test taking abilities, which are much more difficult to improve on. People who get crazy scores just have exceptional intuitive test taking abilities.

Also kaplan practices inflate their score numbers so theres that, not to mention people claim they are the least comparable to the actual AAMC tests/ real MCAT.

TLDR: #yolo, take the 29 and improve your application in other areas where your energy will be more cost effective than re-studying and re-taking.

The reason I am shocked really is 1.) because of the time I put in. I cannot say I studied more than anyone for that exam, but I can say that I doubt many if any at all studied more than I did. 2.) my score on the verbal vs the sciences did not reflect my relative strengths and weaknesses in my personal opinion. Its the first test out of probably 15 tests that I scored highest in the verbal 3.) Gold Standard, Kaplan, EK, and the Princeton Review all had me at inflated numbers. I incorrectly assumed that averaging all of those would put me around my exam score, which they did not.

But yes, I think you guys are correct that the AAMC is by far the most accurate description of what a person's actual score will be. I think the best bet for me is to hopefully get into an MD school in Florida if possible, where I reside.

I appreciate the insightful comments. Practicing with AAMC tests is the best indication of your score. Which makes me wonder, for the USMLE Step 1, does anyone know the best way to study for that? Hopefully I don't have to rely on Kaplan practice exams for that lol. Long way off, but its best to learn from mistakes.

lol forget step 1, focus on your application, then getting an interview, then nailing the interview, then MS1 then MS2, THEN step 1. Baby steps man.

Pressure.

So the test pressure makes you see the passages as harder than they actually are? But if you finish like the "easy" passages quickly and spend 10-12 mins on the hardest passages to truly understand/reread the passage and think about the questions, would that help?

So the test pressure makes you see the passages as harder than they actually are? But if you finish like the "easy" passages quickly and spend 10-12 mins on the hardest passages to truly understand/reread the passage and think about the questions, would that help?
I don't know if I would recommend skipping harder passages and doing the easier passages first. I never tried that strategy although I heard that is a common strategy for attacking verbal reasoning. To me, it seems like it would take time to figure out which are the hard ones and which are the easier ones and that is time lost that you could be focusing on a problem. When you recognize a difficult passage, which shouldn't be hard to recognize, just allow yourself a few extra minutes than normal. I just said "pressure" because when I took the real thing, the first couple physics passages I was freaked out that I was actually taking the MCAT and it took me awhile to really sink my teeth into the exam and focus and perform my best. I was only halfway done with the physics section (3 passages and 2 discrete sections left) with ~26 mins remaining because I spent so long on the first couple passages that weren't necessarily even that hard. This was my personal experience. I still got a 12 on the physical section so I can't complain but I was scoring 13-14 consistently on the practices. Many of my friends scored lower on the physical section on the real thing as well because that is when the pressure is most extreme. I'm sure lots of people will respond to this saying they did better on the physical section but this was the experience that I and many of my friends had.

I don't know if I would recommend skipping harder passages and doing the easier passages first. I never tried that strategy although I heard that is a common strategy for attacking verbal reasoning. To me, it seems like it would take time to figure out which are the hard ones and which are the easier ones and that is time lost that you could be focusing on a problem. When you recognize a difficult passage, which shouldn't be hard to recognize, just allow yourself a few extra minutes than normal. I just said "pressure" because when I took the real thing, the first couple physics passages I was freaked out that I was actually taking the MCAT and it took me awhile to really sink my teeth into the exam and focus and perform my best. I was only halfway done with the physics section (3 passages and 2 discrete sections left) with ~26 mins remaining because I spent so long on the first couple passages that weren't necessarily even that hard. This was my personal experience. I still got a 12 on the physical section so I can't complain but I was scoring 13-14 consistently on the practices. Many of my friends scored lower on the physical section on the real thing as well because that is when the pressure is most extreme. I'm sure lots of people will respond to this saying they did better on the physical section but this was the experience that I and many of my friends had.

I see. I didn't imply skipping a passage entirely, but what I usually do is do all the discretes first, then the shortest or image/table/equation filled passages, and then the remaining hardest ones. I end up having 25+ mins for those last two. It has usually helped me get into test mode quickly since discretes require little reading. But you're right, the real test environment is probably a whole new thing in itself.

I see. I didn't imply skipping a passage entirely, but what I usually do is do all the discretes first, then the shortest or image/table/equation filled passages, and then the remaining hardest ones. I end up having 25+ mins for those last two. It has usually helped me get into test mode quickly since discretes require little reading. But you're right, the real test environment is probably a whole new thing in itself.
If that is the way you have been doing the practice exams and you have been scoring in a range that you would like to score on the real thing, then I would keep doing what you are doing since that is what you are most comfortable with. I'm sure it goes without saying, but definitely don't try a different strategy on the real exam that you have never done before. Good luck, you got it.

Be happy with your score. Could have been A LOT worse.

Here's the thing. Kaplan curves the scores that their students receive (no idea why). That may be where things went wrong. You went into the test with a false confidence of how you would be performing. Take how well you've been doing on the Kaplan tests and subract 5. That's your average AAMC score. I know, it sucks. This is why I discourage people from taking the Kaplan exams because it's not a realistic representation of how you'll do on the real thing. I'm really sorry you weren't able to achieve your target score, but if you wanted, you could take it again in January, and this time go hard for the next 2 months. The MCAT is about strategy, not memorizing every single fact out there there is to know. You can do this! And remember, a 29 isn't terrible! That's above the national average.

Best of luck!

I personally found all of the non-AAMC practice tests to be pretty useless. They seemed to require a knowledge of facts that is not required for the real deal, and do not require the type of problem-solving skills the actual test demands. I know that the way I studied was unique and would probably not work for everyone, but I studied independently for 6 weeks immediately following my last pre-req class (ORGO 2). I had taken the vast majority of these classes in the preceding year and had worked hard over that time to keep the necessary knowledge fresh.

I would take an AAMC practice test, figure out which areas needed improvement, study for a few days and take another practice test. I scored a 32 on my first AAMC practice. By the end, I was scoring 36-38 consistently (over the last 5 tests). I ended up with a 34 on the real test (lower than practice average due to some test anxiety and REALLY long passages, questions, and answer stems). My actual exam was a bit different in some ways from the AAMC practice exams, but they were by far the best preparation.