Where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JShel585

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated high school somewhat young (2 weeks after my 17th bday) and was unprepared for college in regards to maturity. I "wanted" to be a doctor, but was not driven by any means. In summary- I was enrolled from 2007-2010. In that time, I completed minimal coursework with moderate to poor performance, I dropped plenty of classes, I had a hardship withdrawal from an entire semester, and I had 2 incomplete grades which defaulted to F's. My GPA at this point was something around a 1.7, if I recall correctly. I also had 2 deaths in the family which affected my performance as a student. But truly, my performance was reflective of my efforts.

Since 2007, I was working part-time in a pain clinic. After I left the university in 2010, I began working full-time in the same pain clinic, which was now an operating surgery center (ASC). I worked full-time there until 2013. During this time, I met my wife, gained invaluable wisdom and life lessons, and found purpose for going back to school.

I went back to school in summer 2013 with a mission to prove myself and make it to medical school. I essentially started back at the beginning. Since coming back to school, I have earned a 4.0 in everything (that includes gen chem I and II, gen bio I and II, gen phys I and II, and orgo I). A lot of these classes I actually earned A+, but as I understand it, AMCAS GPA doesn't factor in the '+' in that situation. Come application time (early decision), my stats will be something like this...

26 yrs old
Bio major / spanish minor

MCAT: 28 overall 10P 10V 8B (not having taken orgo killed me here!)

(per AMCAS) Cumulative GPA~ 3.2
(per AMCAS) BCPM GPA~ 3.6

(per institution) Cumulative GPA~ 3.6
(per institution) BCPM GPA~3.9

I have thousands of hours of clinical experience in multiple settings, I have been overseas twice volunteering on missions, translated directly for a physician on a medical mission (I speak Spanish). Also, my wife is finishing up PA school this year and is extremely supportive and understanding of what it takes to succeed in medical school.

I know that my GPA and relatively low MCAT limit my options, but I have been told that adcoms view each application holistically. Please note, I have done a lot of research on the numbers/statistics. I am only intending to apply to low- and middle-tier schools. With all things considered, where do I stand?

Any words of direction/advice/encouragement from experience would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

From the sticky on the front page of this forum, you can see that you are right at a 23% chance of MD success with your current stats. Unless you have an especially forgiving home state (e.g. AL, ND), you need to do some serious re-tooling of your application.

You are a good candidate for many DO Schools. Have you calculated your AACOMAS gpa's?

Strongly concur with my learned colleague.

From the sticky on the front page of this forum, you can see that you are right at a 23% chance of MD success with your current stats. Unless you have an especially forgiving home state (e.g. AL, ND), you need to do some serious re-tooling of your application.

You are a good candidate for many DO Schools. Have you calculated your AACOMAS gpa's?

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated high school somewhat young (2 weeks after my 17th bday) and was unprepared for college in regards to maturity. I "wanted" to be a doctor, but was not driven by any means. In summary- I was enrolled from 2007-2010. In that time, I completed minimal coursework with moderate to poor performance, I dropped plenty of classes, I had a hardship withdrawal from an entire semester, and I had 2 incomplete grades which defaulted to F's. My GPA at this point was something around a 1.7, if I recall correctly. I also had 2 deaths in the family which affected my performance as a student. But truly, my performance was reflective of my efforts.

Since 2007, I was working part-time in a pain clinic. After I left the university in 2010, I began working full-time in the same pain clinic, which was now an operating surgery center (ASC). I worked full-time there until 2013. During this time, I met my wife, gained invaluable wisdom and life lessons, and found purpose for going back to school.

I went back to school in summer 2013 with a mission to prove myself and make it to medical school. I essentially started back at the beginning. Since coming back to school, I have earned a 4.0 in everything (that includes gen chem I and II, gen bio I and II, gen phys I and II, and orgo I). A lot of these classes I actually earned A+, but as I understand it, AMCAS GPA doesn't factor in the '+' in that situation. Come application time (early decision), my stats will be something like this...

26 yrs old
Bio major / spanish minor

MCAT: 28 overall 10P 10V 8B (not having taken orgo killed me here!)

(per AMCAS) Cumulative GPA~ 3.2
(per AMCAS) BCPM GPA~ 3.6

(per institution) Cumulative GPA~ 3.6
(per institution) BCPM GPA~3.9

I have thousands of hours of clinical experience in multiple settings, I have been overseas twice volunteering on missions, translated directly for a physician on a medical mission (I speak Spanish). Also, my wife is finishing up PA school this year and is extremely supportive and understanding of what it takes to succeed in medical school.

I know that my GPA and relatively low MCAT limit my options, but I have been told that adcoms view each application holistically. Please note, I have done a lot of research on the numbers/statistics. I am only intending to apply to low- and middle-tier schools. With all things considered, where do I stand?

Any words of direction/advice/encouragement from experience would be greatly appreciated!
I have a similar story, coming from a 1.6 to a 3.58 GPA with a lower MCAT score, and received plenty of interest from DO schools and one MD school. It should be noted that my MD interest was based on two things: 1. It was an instate school, and 2. I have a cool story of playing with some Grammy award winning musicians that I masterfully told like Bob Ross painting a picture. Goro and Gyngyn are about as knowledgeable as anyone you could hope to ask so I would take their advice and go with DO!