Where do I start? Going from finance to ED doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello- I am reposting this from the "what are my chances" forum.

I've recently become interested in a career in medicine. Right now my interests lies in emergency medicine so that is most likely where I will try to focus.

I am 28, graduated a few years ago with my BS in finance, unspectacular GPA, overall 3.0. Worked as a trader at a hedge fund for 3 years and was laid off when the economy went south. I had always been interested in emergency medicine so I used the downtime to get my EMT-B certification and do some volunteer work on the ambulance and in the ED.

I didn't really take any science classes in undergrad so I will need at least a year back in undergrad to get those credits and then I will need to take the MCAT's prior to applying to school. In the meantime I am hoping to continue working in EMS to learn more and get some volunteer hours for my resume. I'm smart but never really applied myself when studying finance, hence the 3.0. I'm pretty sure I can get a 3.5-4.0 for the science stuff and do well on the MCAT's. This will not only show improvement and strength in the sciences, but should also bump my overall GPA up a few notches.

Given what little you know of my background, do I stand a shot at med schools in the US? How about the Carribbean, South American, Europe, etc? Is there anything else I can do in the next year or two to improve my chances? Should I be considering a DO program?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

Suggest you buy the MSAR to get a feel for what average accepted students' mcat/gpas are, also check out aamc.org

If you nail a 4.0 on the next 40 hrs of classes, presuming you're at around 120 hours now, that'd bring you up to 3.25 which is a ways from the average 3.6 or so, it'll hurt you but there have been accepted students with GPAs in that range. pre-med studens are scary in the amount of focus, and resulting high grades, through basically all of undergrad career - that's your competition and unfortunately no, older classes won't be "forgiven" even though they're not science related.

Sounds like you're in good shape on ECs with the ED work you're doing now,

Suggest you consider DO as well; you can apply to both the same year in case the MD path does not work out.

Timing - you're realistically looking at 1 1/2 yrs course prep time; physics to me was kind of like finance -- a whole bunch of formulas that take time to learn but were pretty straightforward to use after that initial (massive) anount of time invested to learn the material. Ochem was a bunch of repetion and recognizing patterns. It just takes time to get through the sequence. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
No I have a serious girlfriend but no kids or other commitments. If I do this I have the resources and time to throw everything at it, and I am willing to go international or the DO route if I have to. I've found one good post bac program at a local state university which, if I can get accepted, would take two years to complete and would give me a good shot at getting into their medical school, so right now that is one of the routes I am considering. If that doesn't pan out I can still take my science requirements their and then decide where to apply afterwards.

As far as building a good overall resume, how much will the EMT work help me? Watching the Nova special last night I was surprised at how unprepared those students were when it came to simple things like taking histories, talking to patients and dealing with difficult situations.

I am also I finance major with a year left in my degree aiming towards medicine. Lots of the schools I have looked into and contacted do not require any sciences and business studies are sufficient as an undergraduate degree. As long as performance is achieved on the MCAT, GPA is acceptable (greater than 3.3), and extracurricular activities are undertaken you should do fine.

Hello- I am reposting this from the "what are my chances" forum.

I've recently become interested in a career in medicine. Right now my interests lies in emergency medicine so that is most likely where I will try to focus.

I am 28, graduated a few years ago with my BS in finance, unspectacular GPA, overall 3.0. Worked as a trader at a hedge fund for 3 years and was laid off when the economy went south. I had always been interested in emergency medicine so I used the downtime to get my EMT-B certification and do some volunteer work on the ambulance and in the ED.

I didn't really take any science classes in undergrad so I will need at least a year back in undergrad to get those credits and then I will need to take the MCAT's prior to applying to school. In the meantime I am hoping to continue working in EMS to learn more and get some volunteer hours for my resume. I'm smart but never really applied myself when studying finance, hence the 3.0. I'm pretty sure I can get a 3.5-4.0 for the science stuff and do well on the MCAT's. This will not only show improvement and strength in the sciences, but should also bump my overall GPA up a few notches.

Given what little you know of my background, do I stand a shot at med schools in the US? How about the Carribbean, South American, Europe, etc? Is there anything else I can do in the next year or two to improve my chances? Should I be considering a DO program?

Thanks in advance for any information.

how do you feel about the fact if you do go to med school you will be 38 by the time you're out of residency? im curious because im close to your age and the thought makes me very :(.

how do you feel about the fact if you do go to med school you will be 38 by the time you're out of residency? im curious because im close to your age and the thought makes me very :(.

If you read this board, you will know that age isn't that big a deal, and that the OP isn't close to pushing the edge of the envelope yet. You are going to be on the planet the same amount of time either way, so you might as well spend it doing what you enjoy. I do note that a number of ED docs have described the field as "a young man's game" because so much of it is overnight shifts and because you are always on your feet "doing" as opposed to other fields where folks have periodic downtime. So some people may consider this specialty better for the right out of med school 25 year old rather than the career changer. But it's sort of moot -- really no point selecting a specialty until you do rotations/electives in your third and fourth year of med school. Most, if not all, med students change their mind at least once during med school. Some of the things you think you'll love, you hate and vice versa. You can have leanings before med school, but I really wouldn't put much stock in those. Things are different on the other side of the mirror.

pediatrics4life -I'm concerned about your statement that you talked to schools that don't require science classes....

Maybe they meant they don't require a science MAJOR, but I assure you the standard pre-reqs of Bio 1 and Bio 2, Chem 1 and Chem 2, Ochem 1 and Ochem 2 and Physics 1 and 2 will be required. Some schools require Biochem, but not all. Most require English and Math of some sort.

You do need to obviously take these courses, and their lab components...just making sure you knew this. Perhaps you do, and it just didn't come off that way.

If you read this board, you will know that age isn't that big a deal, and that the OP isn't close to pushing the edge of the envelope yet. You are going to be on the planet the same amount of time either way, so you might as well spend it doing what you enjoy. I do note that a number of ED docs have described the field as "a young man's game" because so much of it is overnight shifts and because you are always on your feet "doing" as opposed to other fields where folks have periodic downtime. So some people may consider this specialty better for the right out of med school 25 year old rather than the career changer. But it's sort of moot -- really no point selecting a specialty until you do rotations/electives in your third and fourth year of med school. Most, if not all, med students change their mind at least once during med school. Some of the things you think you'll love, you hate and vice versa. You can have leanings before med school, but I really wouldn't put much stock in those. Things are different on the other side of the mirror.

I've though about it but I really don't care. My rationalization is that I have ~35-40 years of my career left so I shouldn't let the extra time in school sway me. If I hate finance now obviously after another 35 years I am going to be miserable. I'm a big believer in following your dreams, no matter what the cost, we only live once. Plus I've heard of countless people who go back to school at 30, 40 and even older to switch careers and become doctors. I'm only 28, I'm just getting started.

I've worked in the ED before and most of the doctors are 40-50 at my hospital, which has one of the busiest ED's in the state. There are a few young guns but most are older. My personality type deals well with that kind of work though, I was a trader in my past life. ED is tough when it's busy but the tradeoff is that most of your patients are discharged or turned over to someone who can provide definitive care within a couple hours. So you put in your shift hours, go home and come in for the next shift...no worries about making rounds and checking up on all of your patients.

pediatrics4life -I'm concerned about your statement that you talked to schools that don't require science classes....

Maybe they meant they don't require a science MAJOR, but I assure you the standard pre-reqs of Bio 1 and Bio 2, Chem 1 and Chem 2, Ochem 1 and Ochem 2 and Physics 1 and 2 will be required. Some schools require Biochem, but not all. Most require English and Math of some sort.

You do need to obviously take these courses, and their lab components...just making sure you knew this. Perhaps you do, and it just didn't come off that way.

Yeah I haven't seen any schools that didn't require science. Even if they didnt, the MCAT is focused on science and they must require that....so you aren't getting out of taking science classes.

I 'third' this.

Would also add that general sentiment seems to be that DO schools offer great programs comparable to MD programs. I would certainly hit these up before going international. A lot of residency programs accept the COMPLEX now as well.

With a 3.3 it's probably best to shoot for a great MCAT and then evaluate where you stand-take one thing at a time!

Your GPA will hurt you for US allopathic schools, but I think that if you really did the 2 year postbac, and do really well (I don't think 3.5 is doing really well...I'm talking 3.75 or better) you might potentially have a shot. That is only with a good MCAT score. You have to remember there are many, many applicants with 3.75+ GPA's and good MCAT scores, and it will likely be harder to get a good score than on some other tests like the GMAT. I'm not saying you can't do it...I'm saying that it might be harder than you think to do all this. So get ready.

It takes REALLY long to train as a physician. You are talking 2 years postbac, then if your are lucky and get in on the first try, 4 years of med school and about 4 years of ER residency. So that is 10 years minimum before you'll make any real money. If you have some $ such that you won't have to take out loans for all of medical school, that will take some stress off of you. I definitely recommend a state med school if you can get in...it is much cheaper and it's the same education (not really like business schools or some other type of school, where there are so many schools that it helps to go to certain ones just to set yourself apart from the pack).

You could definitely go Caribbean, and likely DO, as long as you don't totally bomb the MCAT.