Where do your ethics on research lie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is killing large animals for medical research morally ethical?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then how could you possibly do any testing in regards to pediatric treatment at all if there was no animal testing either drug or procedure related? Just never make any advancements? If you would ever want to try anything new for pediatric patients you would have to directly test it on them before testing it on any animal models, correct?
How is an animal model a better stand-in for a young human than a consenting human adult as a model? How about donated cells and organs? People seem to think we are somehow stuck in a scientific rut; as if there is nothing other than animal testing. New technology can be developed.

I just love how you guys know that most of our research is frivolous and would certainly never revolutionize medicine! Gee, why don't you guys run the experiments? How could you POSSIBLY know the future implications of this research?

Ripples in a pond, people.
"Meeting our needs" was meant to encompass all our use of animals for products, work and entertainment, as well as research. I do not claim that most research is frivolous. That is ridiculous. The need for meat, entertainment and clothing, however, ultimately are.

Members don't see this ad.

I just love how you guys know that most of our research is frivolous and would certainly never revolutionize medicine! Gee, why don't you guys run the experiments? How could you POSSIBLY know the future implications of this research?
Ends justify means?

I forgot that pediatric patients are practically the same thing as adult patients. My bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is an animal model a better stand-in for a young human than a consenting human adult as a model? How about donated cells and organs? People seem to think we are somehow stuck in a scientific rut; as if there is nothing other than animal testing. New technology can be developed.

Again, you're trying to drag this debate into the future. ALL of us can agree (at least I hope so) that there will be "better" methods of obtaining this sort of information in the future. Just because we aren't OK with stopping animal research to develop different methods does not mean we are stagnating and/or not working on developing better methods. Yes yes, if we were to stop animal testing altogether we MIGHT develop a new method (e.g. your hypothetical advanced computer program, for lack of a better example) faster than we would now, out of necessity, but that's a HUGE "maybe."

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot that pediatric patients are practically the same thing as adult patients. My bad.
I forgot that dogs/pigs were practically the same thing as children human.

Again, you're trying to drag this debate into the future. ALL of us can agree (at least I hope so) that there will be "better" methods of obtaining this sort of information in the future. Just because we aren't OK with stopping animal research to develop different methods does not mean we are stagnating and/or not working on better developing better methods. Yes yes, if we were to stop animal testing altogether we MIGHT develop a new method (e.g. your hypothetical advanced computer program, for lack of a better example) faster than we would now, out of necessity, but that's a HUGE "maybe."

It is a big maybe, but we need to understand that we have no right to exploit things in the ways that we do, all throughout our societies. We need to be working harder toward a set of means to address all our biomedical, food and materials problems that do not involve (or at least very greatly reduces) the suffering of all beings. And I stand by my computer idea. Don't dog it.

:eyebrow: And a dog/pig is a better analog, why? Similar in size?

Reactions: 1 users
It is a big maybe, but we need to understand that we have no right to exploit things in the ways that we do, all throughout our societies. We need to be working harder toward a set of means to address all our biomedical, food and materials problems that do not involve (or at least very greatly reduces) the suffering of all beings. And I stand by my computer idea. Don't dog it.

:eyebrow: And a dog/pig is a better analog, why? Similar in size?

I am not saying they are - but experimenting on human adults is not a better answer either, and dog/pig organs are closer to humans than a mouse/rat organs. Physicians I know had to learn to do specific, experimental heart surgeries on dog hearts that certainly could not be done using mouse hearts. And I agree with Womb Raider - it's not that we aren't trying to develop other methods of research to reach new methods, but right now it is our best way of doing research without having to do experimental procedures or using experimental drugs on adults OR children, without ever having checked them out in vivo before. And what affects adults will not affect children the same way.

I am not saying they are - but experimenting on human adults is not a better answer either, and dog/pig organs are closer to humans than a mouse/rat organs. Physicians I know had to learn to do specific, experimental heart surgeries on dog hearts that certainly could not be done using mouse hearts. And I agree with Womb Raider - it's not that we aren't trying to develop other methods of research to reach new methods, but right now it is our best way of doing research without having to do experimental procedures or using experimental drugs on adults OR children, without ever having checked them out in vivo before. And what affects adults will not affect children the same way.
Just because it is the best method we currently have doesn't make it fundamentally ethical.

EDIT: @Womb Raider because that is where the original sentiment of "the best method" started.

And what effects a pig will definitely not necessarily affect a child in the same way. How is that any better than an adult of the same species?

You are still adhering to the idea that human interests supersede non human interests. Do you have a rational explanation for that sentiment?

I have no problems with eating meat or testing on rats or smaller animals, but when it comes to larger mammals such as dogs I find It a bit disturbing. The research I was referring to in my original post was I believe a study on certain proteins in the corpus collosum of dogs, nothing that would revolutionize medicine. That is why I found it particularly disturbing, they kept the dogs alive in the lab for a few weeks killing them 1 by 1 to study that part of their brain, just because a Ph.D found it interesting.. the due to research guidelines all vertebrate mammals are required to be put down at the conclusion of the experiment i.e. they kill the leftover dogs. If this had been to study the processes of disease or the RAC or memory mapping in mammals (something meaningful) I wouldn't have a problem with it. I find it brutish and wasteful of life. As someone who wants to be a physicican and a person who sees humans as slightly advanced primates with pants, I find it easy to see relate with those animals. The only difference between humans and lesser evoloved mammals is that my body is developed differently and my brain is more developed, we have the same core emotions, body functions, and impulses. My point is if they were to do this research atleast make it mean somthing

What's the protein? How do you know it won't revolutionize medicine? A grant committee apparently found it worth funding and in our current climate of restricted research funding that's not easy. The research plan had to be approved by the IACUC (including vets and non-scientist members) for scientific validity and justification, including how it will benefit humans/animals, why it can't be done in vitro, and the number of animals needed and for how long.
I agree about the research guidelines but that is something that needs to be addressed with the institution and their IACUC itself. At the institutions I've been at cats/dogs and anything larger were had to be adopted out at the end of the study if possible (generally only waived if you were working with infectious diseases) so I find what you've described perplexing and think that there is more to the story.

No one does animal research just for fun. It's expensive, takes time and highly variable but it's the only way we have to replicate in vivo environments.

Ends justify means?

See Underdu's posts in this thread (#47 & #60) - they sum up my view/response much more eloquently than I'm capable of providing.

I forgot that dogs/pigs were practically the same thing as children human.

I'm not sure if you guys are just oblivious to how many different ways animal testing aids science/medicine, or just here to argue ethics, but whatever the case I am HIGHLY skeptical that you are practicing what you preach. For those of you who are adamantly against animal testing, let me present you with this moral dilemma: If, right now, your mother/daughter/sister was dying and you could save them by killing another animal (let's say dog), would you do it?

Yes, yes you would. If you say no - I don't believe you.

That is our point... This thread is going nowhere.

See Underdu's posts in this thread (#47 & #60) - they sum up my view/response much more eloquently than I'm capable of providing.

I'm not sure if you guys are just oblivious to how many different ways animal testing aids science/medicine, or just here to argue ethics, but whatever the case I am HIGHLY skeptical that you are practicing what you preach. For those of you who are adamantly against animal testing, let me present you with this moral dilemma: If, right now, your mother/daughter/sister was dying and you could save them by killing another animal (let's say dog), would you do it?

Thats the bloody point of the thread, mate.

I love my family more than a random other person or dog. In this magical scenario, is there someone inciting this need to choose? Why not just waste him?
That scenario is bogus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats the bloody point of the thread, mate.

I love my family more than a random other person or dog. In this magical scenario, is there someone inciting this need to choose? Why not just waste him?
That scenario is bogus.

It proves that all of this ethical talk about how we should stop animal testing is both hypocritical and impractical. It's nice to talk about in theory, but in reality you'd never abide by your arguments.

We understand that it's unethical. We understand it isn't optimal. We understand there's room for improvement. We're just better at accepting reality.

So, until you can honestly tell me that you wouldn't sacrifice another animal to save a family member, you're in the same boat as us.

It proves that all of this ethical talk about how we should stop animal testing is both hypocritical and impractical. It's nice to talk about in theory, but in reality you'd never abide by your arguments.

We understand that it's unethical. We understand it isn't optimal. We understand there's room for improvement. We're just better at accepting reality.

So, until you can honestly tell me that you wouldn't sacrifice another animal to save a family member, you're in the same boat as us.
You have a fundamental lack of understanding regarding what we are talking about. It's not about would you hypothetically favor a dog over your mother. I would hypothetically favor my mother over a stranger. I would hypothetically favor my mother over a dog. Anyone would and they have every reason and right to. It's about would you do something in selfishness that harmed something you thought was less important that yourself.

There is a difference between accepting reality and being complacent. We accept reality and accept that we can change ourselves. You still believe that humans are more important than everything else just because you happen to be a human, and you are adherent to how you were raised. You refuse to extend you compassion to anything else and if you were to, you would understand what I'm talking about.

@Womb Raider Let me give you a similarly unlikely scenario:

Say that a sufficiently advanced extra terrestrial intelligence with a superiority complex decided it wanted to use us as a food source and for research. Would your sentiment then be: "Aw well. They don't have anything better right now and, well...they're just smarter and stronger than us so I don't really have a problem with it even though it's probably wrong."

No. You would fight against them. You would try to run away and hide. You would do the same thing a cow does when you lock her up to artificially inseminate her. You would do the same thing a mouse does when you try to handle him in a lab. You would be the weak, stupid and tiny life form then. It wouldn't feel good, would it?

Last edited by a moderator:
No one does animal research just for fun. It's expensive, takes time and highly variable but it's the only way we have to replicate in vivo environments.

Aside from consenting adults (outside drug trials among some other things). But we can't do that. Human life is somehow more sacred than all other life, it seems.

Children are not small adults and whereas animal models have limitations that all good scientists accept, they have been and remain crucial to our understanding and treatment of neonatal disease. The most famous example is that of artificial surfactants, covered well in this article, http://www.fasebj.org/content/18/13/1624e.full, (search for Fujiwara to find the key section). The current best surfactant is made from porcine lung extract. More challenging has been an animal model of necrotizing enterocolitis. Lack of such a model has seriously hampered research, although progress has been made. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2562191/. This is also true for neonatal cholestasis (it is dissimilar to any such condition in adults).

Bottom line is that animal research as well as animal derived-products have saved, continue to save, and will in the future save the lives of infants. Make your own decisions about whether this is worthwhile, but don't imagine when someone you care about has their life saved with surfactant that its development, production and use wasn't and isn't dependent on animal research and animal derived products.

Reactions: 2 users

I actually very much agree with most of Unduru's reasonings, but am left dissatisfied by the conclusions. I'm suggesting that breeding and killing large animals is unethical. If I am going to be unethical and kill something I might as well use people on death row or consenting human subjects who are better models. If it were 1 dog to save my family member. I would certainly do it. Evolution has given me that decision and I act upon my intinctual desire to preserve human genetic diversity (as well as social implications of that persons relationship to me). But in the grand scheme it never stops at 1 dog. If we don't make an effort to eliminate animal testing now, why should we have any reason to try in the future?

I'm all for scientific progress, but if we're thinking consequentially (ends justify means): at what point do the costs exceed the gains? Couldn't we use only human/primate models to discover cures faster? Wouldn't that mean fewer animals were killed over the course of the research? Wouldn't it mean drugs had better efficacy? But these are certainly unethical methods because of some naive declaration of human's (and to an extent primate's) non-animalness. Call animal testing pragmatic - it has certainly shown to be effective over the years. There used to be a time when it was pragmatic to own slaves (in fact, for thousands of years) - and that was also effective. But there comes a time when we ought to stop "accepting reality" and act on ideals.

But there comes a time when we ought to stop "accepting reality" and act on ideals.

When you still have people eating meat they bought from the market and killings things for fun, calling it "hunting" and having an overarching lack of consideration for non human life, you will have trouble getting people to act on ideals. They have to actually possess the ideals first.

Aside from consenting adults (outside drug trials among some other things). But we can't do that. Human life is somehow more sacred than all other life, it seems.

Humans are even worse. Variable genetic background, numerous confounding factors, compliance issues, even longer observation times, etc.

You have a fundamental lack of understanding regarding what we are talking about. It's not about would you hypothetically favor a dog over your mother. I would hypothetically favor my mother over a stranger. I would hypothetically favor my mother over a dog. Anyone would and they have every reason and right to. It's about would you do something in selfishness that harmed something you thought was less important that yourself.

There is a difference between accepting reality and being complacent. We accept reality and accept that we can change ourselves. You still believe that humans are more important than everything else just because you happen to be a human, and you are adherent to how you were raised. You refuse to extend you compassion to anything else and if you were to, you would understand what I'm talking about.

Would you murder a stranger to save your mother, though? That was the question, not who you "favored" more - that's a N.S.S... You can tell us all about what your views are, and how you would never do this and that to animals, but if it really came down to the choice, (like those girls who are soooooo against abortion, until they get pregnant and immediately go to the abortion clinic) your loved one or an animal, you'd choose the animal every time. That is relevant because animal testing is directly linked with saving human lives. It proves that you do, in fact, believe in a hierarchy of life, unless you truly believe all life is "equal", in which case I will have to call you evil.

Tell me more about how you think all life is equal, but put greater emphasis on different forms of life. Yep, the hierarchy of life is arbitrary.

As far as your ET scenario goes, I actually think about that all the time, believe it or not. I think we have an ethical obligation to care for, and protect forms of life lower than ourselves, who are defenseless against our powers. However, I'm not going to sacrifice a human life for an animals. Call me unethical, call me evil, call me whatever you want - that's just the way it is, and you're the same way.

Would you sentiment then be: "Aw well. They don't have anything better right now and, well...they're just smarter and stronger than us so I don't really have a problem with it even though it's probably wrong."

Again, obviously I would have a problem with it. I'm not saying we (or the animals) would prefer to be test subjects. However, I would understand that what they're doing wasn't out of spite, and hatred toward us, but because it was the best way they knew how to save themselves - I wouldn't blame them. By accepting the realization that you would sacrifice an animal to save your loved one, you are acting in the exact same way.

I actually very much agree with most of Unduru's reasonings, but am left dissatisfied by the conclusions. I'm suggesting that breeding and killing large animals is unethical. If I am going to be unethical and kill something I might as well use people on death row or consenting human subjects who are better models. If it were 1 dog to save my family member. I would certainly do it. Evolution has given me that decision and I act upon my intinctual desire to preserve human genetic diversity (as well as social implications of that persons relationship to me). But in the grand scheme it never stops at 1 dog. If we don't make an effort to eliminate animal testing now, why should we have any reason to try in the future?

1. We are making an effort....................................................................
2. I am very in favor of testing on death row subjects.
3. So what are your thoughts about reaping the benefits of animal testing and breeding animals for human use? Because there is no way you don't benefit from these things. Does that mean you're unethical, too?
4. Yay!!! We both agree that this is unethical. And we both agree that we would sacrifice an animal to save a human life. We're in the same boat!!!!

I'm all for scientific progress, but if we're thinking consequentially (ends justify means): at what point do the costs exceed the gains? Couldn't we use only human/primate models to discover cures faster? Wouldn't that mean fewer animals were killed over the course of the research? Wouldn't it mean drugs had better efficacy? But these are certainly unethical methods because of some naive declaration of human's (and to an extent primate's) non-animalness. Call animal testing pragmatic - it has certainly shown to be effective over the years. There used to be a time when it was pragmatic to own slaves (in fact, for thousands of years) - and that was also effective. But there comes a time when we ought to stop "accepting reality" and act on ideals.

Excellent analogy, comparing this to slavery. Are you implying slaves are sub-human? No? Then how is this relevant? It's a poor analogy and is not even close to being on the same level.

I'm sure human/primate subjects are not the best for every form of testing, many times they're probably unnecessary and cost-inefficient.

@Womb Raider

Trying to extend equal consideration to everything that can suffer is evil?

It's not about a hierarchy. It's about who is is more important to me. A hierarchy doesn't include individuals, in this context. It includes groups. As a species we aren't more deserving of freedom and happiness than another species.

Slavery is a very good analogy. You are failing to consider the thinking involved. People label slaves as "less than human" because it somehow justifies to them their abuse of these people. You doing the same thing as slave drivers. You see something that isn't human and you label as less important than yourself. Why do you find it so hard to extend your consideration to other living beings? Answer me that.

Something can suffer pain. It can cry out in agony at the loss of a friend or a mate. It can experience loneliness, anger, hatred and insanity. You desensitize yourself to these things so you can continue your exploitation just because it works out really well for you. It angers people to a high degree, as this thread attests, to hear that they are so terribly selfish.

You say we are making an effort? Good. Now let's try harder! We are killing billions of beings each year for our selfishness. It needs to stop. This isn't predation. It's mass murder.

@Womb Raider I'm getting tired of this debate, as I know you must be as well. I'm retiring from this thread. As you suggested, it's going nowhere. Thanks for discussing this stuff with me!

@J Senpai sorry for not replying to your earlier post, but this thread kind of took off while I was away from my computer. Anyway it seems that you are convinced that the morality of the issue must involve weighing the suffering of humans and animals equally. This is what I was trying to get at by having you point out the differences between non-human animals and humans. Specifically our capacity for morality. And I think it's where we disagree. Animal suffering should absolutely be considered when deciding on the utility of an experiment, but not weighted equally with human suffering (IMO).

My view is that humans, as the only sentient beings capable of moral consideration as far as we know, have higher moral value than non-human animals, and thus their moral considerations should be weighted more heavily. But anyway I doubt we'll convince each other on this point. Interesting conversation regardless!

Edit: sorry, didn't see your last post

@Womb Raider I'm getting tired of this debate, as I know you must be as well. I'm retiring from this thread. As you suggested, it's going nowhere. Thanks for discussing this stuff with me!

@J Senpai sorry for not replying to your earlier post, but this thread kind of took off while I was away from my computer. Anyway it seems that you are convinced that the morality of the issue must involve weighing the suffering of humans and animals equally. This is what I was trying to get at by having you point out the differences between non-human animals and humans. Specifically our capacity for morality. And I think it's where we disagree. Animal suffering should absolutely be considered when deciding on the utility of an experiment, but not weighted equally with human suffering (IMO).

My view is that humans, as the only sentient beings capable of moral consideration as far as we know, have higher moral value than non-human animals, and thus their moral considerations should be weighted more heavily. But anyway I doubt we'll convince each other on this point. Interesting conversation regardless!

Edit: sorry, didn't see your last post

Damn, closing this thread with courtesy and respect towards one another. I love it. I wish all SDN debates/arguments ended like this.

Reactions: 2 users
Excellent analogy, comparing this to slavery. Are you implying slaves are sub-human? No? Then how is this relevant? It's a poor analogy and is not even close to being on the same level.
Slaves were thought to be and even treated as sub-human; that was the WHOLE point of the analogy. People eventually came to believe that slaves were equal and deserved equal rights as humans (sure this seems really straightforward to us, but it wasn't always this way).

1. We are making an effort....................................................................
2. I am very in favor of testing on death row subjects.
3. So what are your thoughts about reaping the benefits of animal testing and breeding animals for human use? Because there is no way you don't benefit from these things. Does that mean you're unethical, too?
4. Yay!!! We both agree that this is unethical. And we both agree that we would sacrifice an animal to save a human life. We're in the same boat!!!!.
I think my personal line is drawn where we breed the animal for testing. I think if the animal were simply killed, that would be fair enough - that's life - human or animal. One minute you're there, the next you're dead. But often times it's not that simple. We are testing the effect of drugs with limited knowledge of the side effects or known harmful drugs to see the extent of the side effects. Infecting animals and then attempting to treat them (often unsuccessfully). Create physical injuries and then watch how they heal/with new technologies. Force behavioral changes with consequence and reward. I have benefited from these things but I would like to think that my stance somehow justifies my moral compass (alas to nothing but self-awareness). I can accept that technology is moving toward non-animal testing, but to me the general opinion seems to be "there's no problem, why fix it?"

do you even research? how can you possibly get enough human volunteers for a meaningful experiment? how can you possibly control all the different factors that might affect your experiment?

If you're so against animal suffering, stop using any animal products. Stop using anything that was a result of animal experimentation. Go live in the woods and eat berries because the only reason you can go outside without getting mauled by mountain lions is because we killed them all and paved it the **** over

Sure. Just as the man who runs over someone because his breaks failed and he had no choice, is also a hypocrite.
If you get sick, nobody forces medication on you.
If your breaks fail, you don't magically stop because you wish it to.

The difference is you have a choice when it comes to the medication while the man with fail breaks does not

"I'm totally against animal research... unless I get sick and need it. But everyone else is cruel and irrational"

Last edited:

The difference is you have a choice when it comes to the medication while the man with fail breaks does not

"I'm totally against animal research... unless I get sick and need it. But everyone else is cruel and irrational"
Lol yeah. I agree 100% with this post.

Slaves were thought to be and even treated as sub-human; that was the WHOLE point of the analogy. People eventually came to believe that slaves were equal and deserved equal rights as humans (sure this seems really straightforward to us, but it wasn't always this way).

This and Hitler have to be my least favorite analogies of all time. Your analogy fails because black folks are people and animals aren't people. This is not a difficult concept. And comparing things to slavery that are clearly not slavery devalues the very real struggles that people went through.

You say we are making an effort? Good. Now let's try harder! We are killing billions of beings each year for our selfishness. It needs to stop. This isn't predation. It's mass murder.

Science and medicine must be so easy in your mind. Just snap your fingers and all the problems are solved!

This and Hitler have to be my least favorite analogies of all time. Your analogy fails because black folks are people and animals aren't people. This is not a difficult concept. And comparing things to slavery that are clearly not slavery devalues the very real struggles that people went through.
You're assumption is that black folks both ARE and were people; that thinking is quite a novel concept in the scheme of time. Also, black people were not the only slaves in all of history. Animals may not be people, but people are animals. And comparing things to slavery puts into perspective the very real struggles of animals who cannot speak for themselves.

You're assumption is that black folks both ARE and were people; that thinking is quite a novel concept in the scheme of time. Also, black people were not the only slaves in all of history. Animals may not be people, but people are animals. And comparing things to slavery puts into perspective the very real struggles of animals who cannot speak for themselves.

I can see it now: 50 years from now squirrels, rabbits, elephants and dolphins will all be applying to medical school. In the beginning years they will be considered EXTREMELY URM and their MCAT score will be padded by at least a 30 point point buffer to compensate for their lack of educational opportunities. Some schools will have to have their classrooms underwater so that we don't discriminate against the aquatic applicants. I'm not quite sure how we'll sort out the language barrier, though. The cafeteria menus will be delectable, and I can't wait to have a go at the giraffe urinals.

Labs will be the "cool guys" while poodles will be the pretentious stereotypical gunners.. Cats, well, just watch your back.

I can see it now: 50 years from now squirrels, rabbits, elephants and dolphins will all be applying to medical school. In the beginning years they will be considered EXTREMELY URM and their MCAT score will be padded by at least a 30 point point buffer to compensate for their lack of educational opportunities. Some schools will have to have their classrooms underwater so that we don't discriminate against the aquatic applicants. I'm not quite sure how we'll sort out the language barrier, though. The cafeteria menus will be delectable, and I can't wait to have a go at the giraffe urinals.

Labs will be the "cool guys" while poodles will be the pretentious stereotypical gunners.. Cats, well, just watch your back.
Corporations are "people." What will be their point buffer? I also heard they only talk with money; wonder why carib hasn't recruited them yet.

You think the only people who are people are the people who look and think like you. LEARN FROM POCAHONTAS.

LMAO I'm dying this is hilarious and it shows how dumb J Senapi's argument is

If I am going to be unethical and kill something I might as well use people on death row or consenting human subjects who are better models.

I'm all for scientific progress, but if we're thinking consequentially (ends justify means): at what point do the costs exceed the gains? Couldn't we use only human/primate models to discover cures faster? Wouldn't that mean fewer animals were killed over the course of the research? Wouldn't it mean drugs had better efficacy? But these are certainly unethical methods because of some naive declaration of human's (and to an extent primate's) non-animalness. .
Two points on using humans as a model organism. First is somewhat off-topic: we, as a society, must never use prison or death-row inmates for research purposes. In fact, forget research, I used to think that hard-labor would be a superior alternative to prison-sentences and death-row. After all, why not make the incarcerated pay their debt to society in a useful way? Then someone explained to me that the government must never be allowed to profit or otherwise benefit from its prison population. Quite the opposite, it should cost us to keep people in prison or to execute them, because that would give us the necessary impetus to reduce prison population. If the government was allowed to profit from those that it punished, we find ourselves on a slippery slope to literal slavery.

Second, we use mice, rats, and rabbits as model organisms for practical reasons: they breed and develop quickly, are surprisingly resilient, and are relatively cheap to maintain. Primates are none of those things. In addition, we can't use consenting human populations to study basic science because of genetic and phenotypic variability. Yes, in principle we could breed or clone humans, but the fact that scientists don't dare to clone a human being points out the massive ethical complications in artificially generating an intelligent and self-aware being for scientific purposes without its consent. I remember reading about a case about two parents who had a child with a congenital disorder that could be treated with some stem cell therapy, so they pursued in vitro fertilization to obtain a second child's umbilical cord. When the second child grew up and discovered the circumstances of her birth, she sued her parents for emotional trauma. However the judge refused to rule on the case because he did not believe he had the authority to decide if existing and suffering was worse than not existing and not suffering. Can we extend the same discussion to animals? That brings me to my next point.

Animals may not be people, but people are animals. And comparing things to slavery puts into perspective the very real struggles of animals who cannot speak for themselves.
The slavery analogy is most useful for indicating that we have been wrong about subjugating other beings before, but doesn't prove that we are wrong again now. Anyway, it's interesting how you say that animals cannot speak for themselves, which subtly implies that animals are aware of what is happening to them. The main difference between our research on animals and hypothetical aliens experimenting on us is that we would be entirely aware of the fact that we are being experimented upon (but would a lab-cloned human be aware? Don't know, yet they would have the potential to learn to be people, which is more than we can say for non-human animals). I doubt that mice or rats are aware of the ethical debate that revolves around them. I know that doesn't excuse our actions, but at least we can say that the lab animals aren't suffering existential crises.

On another note, be rest assured that we take all the appropriate steps to ensure that lab animals aren't subjected to unnecessary pain. They are generally anesthetized before being sacrificed.

These are good points; it reminds me of the principle of tacit consent. In political theory, if you so much as drive on the highway or go to a public library, you have given tacit (unspoken) consent to the government by using the government's services. In the same way, I think if you intend to practice modern allopathic medicine, you have endorsed animal research. This doesn't mean you can't work to reduce animal suffering, but it does mean that you have tacitly consented to using animals to further human well-being. This is also why I had mentioned earlier in this thread that the only way "peace-with-nature" would work is if we reverted to a pre-industrial state.

It's not about would you hypothetically favor a dog over your mother. I would hypothetically favor my mother over a stranger. I would hypothetically favor my mother over a dog.

@Womb Raider
Trying to extend equal consideration to everything that can suffer is evil?
Don't you notice an underlying inconsistency here? I believe what @Womb Raider has been arguing is that you cannot take the position that "I am equally compassionate to all beings" and at the same time say "I favor some beings over others." This doesn't make you immoral (by my standards anyway), but it does make you self-interested, like every other human being. You favor your mother because she is connected to you socially and genetically. In the same way, others favor their families over strangers, and favor strangers over non-human animals, and favor animals over rocks. Again, it is a matter of degrees, and I think self-interest is the only way you can rationalize the choices that people make.

I don't expect you to have all the answers. I sure haven't, and this topic still bothers me. I am afraid you will find that natural self-interest will always clash with our ideas of compassionate care to all beings that can suffer.

Reactions: 3 users
If the government was allowed to profit from those that it punished, we find ourselves on a slippery slope to literal slavery.

Never looked at it like this, very eye opening! Thanks for explaining.

I don't expect you to have all the answers. I sure haven't, and this topic still bothers me.

+1

Because humans aren't special and do not own the universe. We aren't the only things that can suffer, and we don't have the right to harm or hold captive anything against its will.

A small level of anthropocentrism is normal, because we are humans and we fend for each other. I don't root for the idiot fighting the bull, though.

Why would it have to happen in that order?

I watched Frozen last week.

People argue against animal research because they have extended their compassion to encompass more than just humans. They understand that to kill something because you see it as inferior and a means to your end, is wrong. If an extraterrestrial intelligence used us in the same manner with the same mindset, we would be appalled.
You are so amazing and a very enlightened individual. I agree with everything you have written in this thread! Thank you for being so compassionate. I wish there were more people like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.