Where does fourth year medical school tuition go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstaidjelly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the money doesnt go toward paying the hospital you are rotating at, then why are you even paying tuition? I am setting up my electives.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sometimes imagine my school has a kind of Scrooge McDuck-esque vault where they keep our tuition dollars in gold coins and freely swim around in it.

The real answer, I think, is that you are subsidizing campus operations and are paying a disproportionately high amount versus what you're gaining in return.

Reactions: 1 users
If the money doesnt go toward paying the hospital you are rotating at, then why are you even paying tuition? I am setting up my electives.

The best kept secret in medicine is that your Match Day envelope contains a check for the full amount of tuition you paid to your med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I did some time in admin. Essentially tuition at most schools only covers ~10-15% of the cost of education. The overhead on education is MASSIVE. If you didn't pay for fourth year, they'd lose even more money on you, so since you're still in school they charge you for learning.

That cannot be true that your tuition only covers a part of the operating expense. How does Rocky vista and the other for profit schools such as Ross operate when they accept students? They charge 40000 per year also. Rocky accepts 130 and keeps those throughout the four years and charges 40000. How can they possibly be making money on that?

It obviously depends on the school. Most MD schools will tell you exactly what dye guy said - that your tuition only covers a very small percentage of the actual cost to the school per person.

However, for-profit schools like Ross and some of the for-profit DOs wouldn't exist if they weren't making money. So they are obviously doing something differently.

I did some time in admin. Essentially tuition at most schools only covers ~10-15% of the cost of education. The overhead on education is MASSIVE. If you didn't pay for fourth year, they'd lose even more money on you, so since you're still in school they charge you for learning.

lol no.

I think you mean that the school takes 10-15% of tuition and puts it toward educational uses. Meanwhile, the other 85-90% goes to the Dean's offshore bank account.

Reactions: 2 users
That cannot be true that your tuition only covers a part of the operating expense. How does Rocky vista and the other for profit schools such as Ross operate when they accept students? They charge 40000 per year also. Rocky accepts 130 and keeps those throughout the four years and charges 40000. How can they possibly be making money on that?

I can't speak for rocky vista, but I've read that the caribbean schools have several admissions cycles per year and literally have thousands of students.

Maybe for the caribbean it's volume that keeps the doors open.

Because some student from another school is rotating in your school's hospital and (s)he's not paying your school but is still paying tuition at his (or her) own school.