where does water absorption occur primarily?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Water absorption occurs primarily in the
A. duodenum.
B. jejunum.
C. stomach.
D. large intestine.
E. mouth.

I thought small intestine can absorb water but kaplan says large intestine is the right answer.

Can someone check this for me?

Members don't see this ad.

yup. the small intestine absorbs sugars fats and protein. the large intestine does the water absorption and K+ ions and B16 it think. But here are some notes i threw together from EK. Hope it Helps Gluck.

Attachments

• The human Digestive System.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 272
My human physiology power power slides say it can also absorb water XD.
I don't know which one to follow.

moz-screenshot-3.jpg
The Large intestines main function is water absorption and electrolyte absorption. Remember that in the small intestine primarily the in the duodenum ( i forgot how to spell it lol) the body will absorb aminoacids and sugars through the enterocytes directly into the blood stream. While the fatty acids will get absorbed into the enterocytes and then will be modified in the smooth ER where they are incorporated into chylomicrons(water soluble globules). There really isnt much water absorption in the small intestines. therefor its a major fuction of the large intestine.

Members don't see this ad :)
small intestine ... it was a question on my bio final... so im assuming A.. yes large intestine's main role is water absorption but it's only absorbing what's left over from small intestine. My whole class argued over this one.. so i remember this very well..

i'm pretty sure its the large intestine. The main function of the large intestine is to absorb the water from the material that comes in from the small intestine and make solid waste (feces).

Vitamin K and Water are absorbed within the LARGE intestine! Small intestine is primarily involved in absorption of nutrients.

Site of compaction = large intestine, so I think it's large intestine. If the small intestine was the answer..way too easy I think.

Large intestine is the first answer the comes to mind.

Although my Physiology power points tell me that the small intestine reabsorbs 8500ml of water compared to 400ml in the small intestine.

Absorbtion.jpg

Yeah, small intestine.
Note the difference between the two choices: While most water is absorbed in the small intestine, that's not its primary function. The large intestine's primary function is water absorbtion, but it doesn't do the majority of that during the digestive process.

Also, if you look at the diagram, it looks as if the part where 8500 mL is being reabsorbed, it looks like that would be the jejunum.

small intestine ... it was a question on my bio final... so im assuming A.. yes large intestine's main role is water absorption but it's only absorbing what's left over from small intestine. My whole class argued over this one.. so i remember this very well..

I'm almost 100% sure that the discussion could have ended with this post. Main function of Colon is water reabsorption, but most of water reabsorption is done in the small intestine. :thumbup:

Water absorption occurs primarily in the
A. duodenum.
B. jejunum.
C. stomach.
D. large intestine.
E. mouth.

I thought small intestine can absorb water but kaplan says large intestine is the right answer.

Can someone check this for me?

Large Intestines!

I'm almost 100% sure that the discussion could have ended with this post. Main function of Colon is water reabsorption, but most of water reabsorption is done in the small intestine. :thumbup:

Just throwing in one last confirmation.

Small intestine absorbs most of the nutrients, and whenever you absorb minerals the water must follow.

Large intestine's function is to form the feces, part of that process is removing the tiny bit of remaining water.

Most of these responces are incorrect. Yes most nutrients are absorbed in small intestine and colon is responsible for absorbing water, but this statement is misleading. Colon basically absorbs ONLY water to solidify waste by removing excess water not absorbed by small intestine (SI abbreviation from here on).

SI absorbs roughly 80% of water in consumed food and drink, and can also secrete water if needed. The absorption relies on several factors, mainly presence of sodium. Na is absorbed then re-secreted in small areas between folds of interrior lining. This Na electrolyte gradient forces water via osmosis into the cells as the cell now has a much lower concentration of Na ions. The innitial sodium mechanism is also dependant on the presence of glucose and amino acids, so diarrhea can occur if proper intake of these things are not balanced. Magnesium plays a major role in the colon controlling water absorption or secretion as well, this is why most all OTC meds for constapation contain high amounts of Mg in form of usually mag. hydroxide. The hydroxide neutralizes stomach acid to ease discomfort while releasing high amounts of Mg ions. Once in colon, this works in reverse as the [Mg+2] is now much higher in colon waste than cells, forcing reverse osmosis pumping water into colon from cells which hydrates and softens stool.