where is a US dental degree valid outside North America?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rals

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about for example western european countries? do they accept a US education or how does that work? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

any insight into this, even if you are not positive would be much appreciated... I can't reach the UK dental association to ask them abut this... so I'm counting on you guys for now.

Does anyone know about for example western european countries? do they accept a US education or how does that work? thanks.

Because of licensure requirements, opportunities for U.S. dentists to practice in other countries are limited, just as they are for foreign dental graduates who wish to practice in the United States. Most of the developed countries work on mutual agreement of recognition of their degrees. General rule is if USA is doesn't recognize UK degree, same goes with UK, it doesn't recognize USA degrees. Australia and UK recognize their degrees mutually, so they can work in both places.
UK has an exam called IQE, it is 3 part exam. If you pass this exam you will get full dental license. USA degrees are not recognized in UK . But you could get a temporary license to work in UK. All you need to get this temporary license is, your dental school should be listed in WHO. But the catch is you will get this license ONLY after you find a job, and nobody wants to give you a job unless if you have full UK license. If you have American degree you will have higher chances of getting a job. you can work only for specified time ( I am not sure how many years, but I think 3 years).
I am positive that American degree is not recognized in any of the western European countries. I am sure you don't want to work in eastern Europe, for the salary they pay. But if you have degree from one of the EU countries you can get license in any other EU country. Scandinavian countries: they don't have standard exams, but first you should learn their language and then take supplementary courses and exams.
Australia: 2 part exam. Theory followed by practical exam on mannequins. No live patients. You will get full license after this exam. If you have American degree you can easily clear them.
New Zealand: similar exam like Australian one.
The other route is you can work with WHO, wherever the actual working location would be (Europe etc), if you have American degree. Go to WHO site for job listings.
The other option is: you can work with American military bases in Europe. Technically you will be working for USA, but the location is in Europe or whatever.
In some European countries, a US dentist may work as a "dental assistant." In those countries, a "dental assistant" is not a paraprofessional as in the U.S. but a graduate dentist who practices under the supervision of a licensed dentist and receives a salary or percentage.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, nondentist - that was really thorough info... it looks like you've done the homework for both of us. I guess I'll just have to resort to taking extended vacations in europe and practice in canada/the us...
still not bad. :)

thanks, nondentist - that was really thorough info... it looks like you've done the homework for both of us. I guess I'll just have to resort to taking extended vacations in europe and practice in canada/the us...still not bad. :)

That would be phenomenal! I would love to do it!!:p
Thanks nondentist you are a blessing:luck:

What about a dentist with a US degree and a European Union passport? does that change things? If that's the case, then can I practice in Europe more easily, or is it as stated above whatever your citizenship is?

Thanks in advance guys!

What about a dentist with a US degree and a European Union passport? does that change things? If that's the case, then can I practice in Europe more easily, or is it as stated above whatever your citizenship is?

Thanks in advance guys!

the passport qives you the right to work witouth a working permit but you still need an europian diploma
and some one mentioned eastern europe - even the salary is low US diploma is still not recognized, but eastern europe diplomas are recognized in western europe just as a part of the europien union

I graduated in EU.

I can only practice in CA , since the rules were different 10 years ago.

Most other US states treat my EU dentist license like a worthless piece of paper, in spite of my CA DDS license/US work experience

See the following thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=622799&page=2

I am starting an internet campaign exposing the protectionist US/Canadian rules.

I will also contact

http://www.adee.org/cms/

regarding the situation.

While EU countries accept anyone from an EU dental school, US dental boards impose all kind of fees/regulations /restrictions , even on US graduates, I guess it must be fear of competition

Reactions: 1 user
I can only practice in CA , since the rules were different 10 years ago.
Most other US states treat my EU dentist license like a worthless piece of paper, in spite of my CA DDS license/US work experience
I am starting an internet campaign exposing the protectionist US/Canadian rules.
I will also contact http://www.adee.org/cms/ regarding the situation.

While EU countries accept anyone from an EU dental school, US dental boards impose all kind of fees/regulations /restrictions , even on US graduates, I guess it must be fear of competition

While your EU license may be worthless, your ds diploma is worth 2 years of ds. The protectionism must come as a big surprise for those in this country. Good luck with your boycott. And if that fails, you proceed to step 2- the American way: take the State Dental Boards to court.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=619685

While your EU license may be worthless, your ds diploma is worth 2 years of ds. The protectionism must come as a big surprise for those in this country. Good luck with your boycott. And if that fails, you proceed to step 2- the American way: take the State Dental Boards to court.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=619685

My EU dentist degree is not exactly worthless; I am licensed to practice in California, without any restrictions whatsoever, since I got my license while it was still posiible, when CA had the bench test for foreign dentists

Step 2 sounds rather interesting , but I doubt it would work..

Members don't see this ad :)
Give it a rest.

Why would that be?

Sometimes one needs to be determined while fighting for the right thing.

People all over the world will see my posts.

The dental boards cannot stop me, I'll speak out loud against injustice and protectionism

Maybe some US politicians will realize what's going on and that something needs to be done to address this issue

Sometimes one needs to be determined while fighting for the right thing.
People all over the world will see my posts.
The dental boards cannot stop me, I'll speak out loud against injustice and protectionism
Maybe some US politicians will realize what's going on and that something needs to be done to address this issue

Not the mention an ego the size of Jupiter.

Last edited:
Not the mention an ego the size of Jupiter.

Do not underestimate the power of the internet, this will be all over the place within a few weeks, nothing can stop it

You do not know my particular circumstances, so it is easy for you to disagree.

Do not underestimate the power of the internet, this will be all over the place within a few weeks, nothing can stop it

It is not the power of the internet that is in question but yours might be. You can also try finding yourself a spot in MacArthur Park.

Last edited:
It is not the power of the internet that is in question but yours might be. You can also try finding yourself a spot in MacArthur Park.

Very intelligent point , indeed

What does that park have to do with it?

Very intelligent point , indeed

What does that park have to do with it?

Get acquainted with S. Cal. You can get on your soap box and rant, rave, scream at the top of your lungs or whisper about the "discrimination" you are subjected to. Make sure to tell them that you are being denied the $70K. That alone should get you a lot of sympathy.

Cadds I feel your pain, however this whole situation was created by the government itself unfortunately. This is the only medical profession in US that allows people to earn a great deal of money after studying only 4 years...there is no way to actually know how much money a dentist is making...everywhere you go they keep double books and most of them have only one assisstant...no accountant...people working illegally and many other discrepancies...
Makes you wonder...

Would I have to fly to Australia to take that two part exam, or would I be able to take the exam here in the United States before I move? I plan to get my degree from a university in the United States, but I'd prefer to practice in Australia. Thanks in advance.

Would I have to fly to Australia to take that two part exam, or would I be able to take the exam here in the United States before I move? I plan to get my degree from a university in the United States, but I'd prefer to practice in Australia. Thanks in advance.
Bump.