Where is Brad Tice? New BLS report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farm4real

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mr Tice was going to engage with us, about how APhA is our advocate, our protector.....yet the new BLS came out

15,000 new RPh per year, and job growth..???

Captura de Tela (2).png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
There were a few months in a row he was publishing a guest blog on the APhA website. It said it was a “monthly” feature... didn’t see one for August unless I missed it.

Why isnt there a rule in place to stop new schools from opening up? I DONT GET IT.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well this is grim.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not impressed by anyone that gets admitted into a school anymore. They accept anyone. I actually feel bad for them because they will pile on tuition debt + expenses during school, and then trying to pay it off with a low wage by the time they graduate.

Reactions: 4 users
Why isnt there a rule in place to stop new schools from opening up? I DONT GET IT.

What's not to get? Preventing schools from opening would be anti-capitalistic. Which organization do you think should have that authority?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that happen but I don't get why anyone thinks that could possibly happen. Even if there was an organization that had that power why would they use it to help gatekeep pharmacy? Is it just straight up wishful thinking?

Damn now even the BLS is trolling about saturation

Lol. Im no math genius but little to no change in job outlook in 10 years im assuming is bad... especially when pharmacy organizations keep on pushing to open new schools... talk about shooting yourself in the face. Like... not your foot, but your face. If you shoot yourself in the foot, at least you can still relatively function. This current situation is like shooting yourself in the face. Even if you survive, you dont got a face so people are gonna be like wtf. Thats exactly what people are saying about pharmacy. WTF?!

What's not to get? Preventing schools from opening would be anti-capitalistic. Which organization do you think should have that authority?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see that happen but I don't get why anyone thinks that could possibly happen. Even if there was an organization that had that power why would they use it to help gatekeep pharmacy? Is it just straight up wishful thinking?

Government could pull the loan access to pharmacy schools citing the zero percent growth in the profession. Actually they should do that for a bunch of programs and schools

• Love
They still give out degrees in psych, art history, women's studies, etc so I doubt anyone cares about pharmacy schools.

Government could pull the loan access to pharmacy schools citing the zero percent growth in the profession. Actually they should do that for a bunch of programs and schools

This may be a legitimate reason not to open more school and may even be able to reason shutting down some existing schools. I mean, seriously... what kind of profession, especially one in which requires a freaking DOCTORATE, has ZERO predicted growth in 10 years?! This is put out by the US government for gods sake. The same government that claims to have lowest unemployment rate that does not distinguish chitty part time jobs from Lebron James’ trillion dollar contract. Which means, the pharmacy outlook is probably a lot worse than this report claims in reality...

Reactions: 2 users
This may be a legitimate reason not to open more school and may even be able to reason shutting down some existing schools. I mean, seriously... what kind of profession, especially one in which requires a freaking DOCTORATE, has ZERO predicted growth in 10 years?! This is put out by the US government for gods sake. The same government that claims to have lowest unemployment rate that does not distinguish chitty part time jobs from Lebron James’ trillion dollar contract. Which means, the pharmacy outlook is probably a lot worse than this report claims in reality...
In reality there are only 33 percent full time jobs. 33 part and 33 gig economy

Members don't see this ad :)
In reality there are only 33 percent full time jobs. 33 part and 33 gig economy

Damn, being that median(or average? Cant remember) household income is in $50k ish.... household, not an individual income, i dont know how people make a living in this country. Smh.

Damn, being that median(or average? Cant remember) household income is in $50k ish.... household, not an individual income, i dont know how people make a living in this country. Smh.
33 gig

• Wow
They use median family as 65k. Divide that by two people. America isn't in a good state right now. This will bring more far right and left. Like your profile it's hunger games

Reactions: 1 user
There are probably going to be a lot more “PIP” posts coming back. Performance improvement plans. Yeeeesh.

What if I never read or looked at sdn or Reddit? Ignorance would be bliss. Does anyone else go to work now (like seriously just this week after learning this) feeling like they’re headed into a dead end toxic relationship?

And my market is unionized. Lol. They want us to strike with the techs on top of all of this.

I wonder how many pharmaceutical sales rep jobs are lined up for us? Haha. My friend loves it and always wants me to do it and her background is an architecture degree.

20% unemployment for pharmacists will solve the school problem and brand pharmacy as an undesirable career for years. That is after a recession which hits retail pharmacies hard.

I can't wait for the full impact of the incipient, likely to be prolonged recession/malaise. Retail pharmacy is already in a bad spot. LOL

AACP stopped publishing the demand indicator, probably got so many responses about a saturated market they kept it internally to keep applications coming

AACP stopped publishing the demand indicator, probably got so many responses about a saturated market they kept it internally to keep applications coming
They probably didn't even perform the study in fear of what they would find.

The AMA is able to protect the medical profession by limiting the number of newly licensed medical doctors each year. Unfortunately, ACPE doesn’t care because they make more money when more pharmacy schools open up.

The AMA is able to protect the medical profession by limiting the number of newly licensed medical doctors each year. Unfortunately, ACPE doesn’t care because they make more money when more pharmacy schools open up.

Actually, it is the US government that limits the number of new doctors, by limiting the amount of funding available for the required residencies. AMA has nothing to do with it, nor is the number of MD/DO schools a limiting factor. Having a MD/DO does not qualify someone to be medically licensed, unlike having a PharmD does qualify someone to be licensed as a pharmacist (assuming boards are passed....but a MD/DO who has passed all their boards still can't practice as a doctor without a residency.)

Actually, it is the US government that limits the number of new doctors, by limiting the amount of funding available for the required residencies. AMA has nothing to do with it, nor is the number of MD/DO schools a limiting factor. Having a MD/DO does not qualify someone to be medically licensed, unlike having a PharmD does qualify someone to be licensed as a pharmacist (assuming boards are passed....but a MD/DO who has passed all their boards still can't practice as a doctor without a residency.)
Just like how in the future every single pharmacist role regardless of setting will require residency. Community, hospital, LTC, whatever you want. No residency? Then you’ll be seen as someone who has a license but no practical experience = PASS.

Specific to retail, the rate of new community pharmacy residency grads at this point is higher than the amount of retail jobs opening up each year (which is going the other way as it is negative). Give it a couple years and community pharmacy residency grads ALONE will not be able to get retail jobs due to supply/demand unless more layoffs/restructuring occurs to “create new jobs.” These new jobs will obviously take only community residency-trained grads because when you have so many candidates vying for the same spot then you will pick the ones with the most credentials. For the rest of the 14,000+ new grads— you’re out of luck.

I picture the scene at the end of Titanic when the boat is sinking. Some will jump ship in hopes that they can survive/swim to safety (career changers). Some will stick it out and go down with the ship (sunk cost fallacy). Others will lie/cheat/use desperate measures such as disguises, “pretend” ilnesses or other excusrs (hustlers/predatory pharmacists such as career coaches, pharmacy school deans/faculty etc.) to get on the limited number of lifeboats which are meant for the women and children (residency/fellowship trained grads)— who are the ones that are supposed to have priority as they are the ones supposed to be carrying forward the future generation (future of the profession). It’s a sad story, really.

Last edited:
Fred's pharmacy to close all stores due to bankruptcy. This is going to hurt a lot of folks in the South.

• Wow
Fred's pharmacy to close all stores due to bankruptcy. This is going to hurt a lot of folks in the South.
Weren't they the ones talking about buying nearly half of Rite Aid back during the original Walgreens merger talks? I'm probably showing how little I know about corporate acquisitions but how would they have ever had a chance of picking up a bunch of struggling stores and becoming profitable?

Just like how in the future every single pharmacist role regardless of setting will require residency. Community, hospital, LTC, whatever you want. No residency? Then you’ll be seen as someone who has a license but no practical experience = PASS.

The difference is physician residencies are required by law and they are paid for by the federal government (aka me and you the taxpayers.)
Sure pharmacy residencies could change in the future, but currently, they are not require legally in any setting, and they certainly aren't paid for by the government. The lack over government financing thing is important, this means that there is no limit to the number of residencies that open--unlike with doctors where the federal government will only pay for so many residencies so there is a firm limit on them. This is how our government (not the AMA) limits the number of practicing physicians, and this is why there is going to be absolutely no limit to the number of practicing pharmacists. I think your Titanic scenario is pretty accurate Myself, I'll be clinging to the ship as it sinks. But then I'm 58% of the way to retirement, not as close as I'd like, but to close to turn back now. But for those who are just starting out, I can't imagine jumping on the boat at this point.