Where should I apply? What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarBear21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CA resident and I've been browsing this forum for a little while. I'm not sure where should I apply. My stats are not great at all and I'm not really sure if I should even apply to UCSF,UCSD, USC. Does anyone know of any out of state schools that don't give preference to their in-state students, I don't know if I'll get into any CA schools.

I'm probably taking PCATS in Oct for non-CA schools

My stats:

Overall GPA: 3.40
Science GPA: 3.08
Pre-Pharm: Depends on school, but generally 3.2ish

I'm hoping for an upward trend though, hopefully this quarter goes well. Last quarter I got A- (biochem), A- (physiology), A (health economics), A (entomology), overall 3.84

I basically got Straight B's, B+'s in my bio and ochem/genchem classes and I did poorly in calculus and physics B/B-/C+, but I'm hoping to turn it around this quarter as well and possibly raise my GPA to 3.44 overall, 3.14 science. I've gotten straight A's in my 5 econ courses (I'm not sure if that means anything), I'm hoping it sets me apart somewhat.

I'll have a BS by the time I attend pharmacy school if I get accepted (class 2007) and I'm getting a degree in Biological Sciences (emphasis in Microbiology) and I'm minoring in Economics from UC-Davis

I'm in Alpha Phi Omega (Service Fraternity and I'm in the service commitee if that counts for anything), I'm in the prepharmacy club here at my school, I'm in National Society of Collegiate scholars (if that counts for anything), and I've interned for one quarter at UCD Veterinary Teaching Hospital Pharmacy.

I'm just really discouraged right now, I'm thinking I'm just going to apply everywhere and see what happens...

Thanks for any response and thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

Any of the private out of state schools don't care which state you are coming from. AACP.org has a search engine where you could pick schools out like no PCAT required, etc.

Hey, I remember getting something from National Society of Collegiate Scholars during undergrad. They told me to send money to some address near the CA/Nevada border.

I don't remember seeing any academic places on the border while travelling to vegas.....

So do you think its not worth mentioning? =/

I'm pretty sure they're a legit organization though because they're quite active at our school. They have an IM team, they do comm service and they hold all their meetings on campus. I doubt UCD would let them do that if they were a fraud. But yeah it does seem frivolous b/c I actually don't do much with them. I just don't have much EC's besides my service frat and prepharm club.

Members don't see this ad :)
PolarBear21 said:
I'm a CA resident and I've been browsing this forum for a little while. I'm not sure where should I apply. My stats are not great at all and I'm not really sure if I should even apply to UCSF,UCSD, USC. Does anyone know of any out of state schools that don't give preference to their in-state students, I don't know if I'll get into any CA schools.

My stats:

I'm hoping for an upward trend though, hopefully this quarter goes well. Last quarter I got A- (biochem), A- (physiology), A (health economics), A (entomology), overall 3.84

I basically got Straight B's, B+'s in my bio and ochem/genchem classes and I did poorly in calculus and physics B/B-/C+, but I'm hoping to turn it around this quarter as well and possibly raise my GPA to 3.44 overall, 3.14 science. I've gotten straight A's in my 5 econ courses (I'm not sure if that means anything), I'm hoping it sets me apart somewhat.

I'll have a BS by the time I attend pharmacy school if I get accepted (class 2007) and I'm getting a degree in Biological Sciences (emphasis in Microbiology) and I'm minoring in Economics from UC-Davis

I'm in Alpha Phi Omega (Service Fraternity and I'm in the service commitee if that counts for anything), I'm in the prepharmacy club here at my school, I'm in National Society of Collegiate scholars (if that counts for anything), and I've interned for one quarter at UCD Veterinary Teaching Hospital Pharmacy.

I'm just really discouraged right now, I'm thinking I'm just going to apply everywhere and see what happens...

Hello there,

First of all, I want you to know that you have nothing to be discouraged about! You have a competitive GPA and a good shot at most schools. Here are a few bits of advice I can give to you:

1- You have a very good chance at being admitted at USC based on your stats BUT apply early! I know someone with 3.0 science and 3.4 overall from UCSD who was admitted to USC. They accept many more applicants from their early interview sessions.

2- You should still apply to UCSD and UCSF. Many students in the 3.0-3.2 GPA category get admitted into these schools. If you do research, that's a big plus. Overall, they are looking for well-rounded applicants. I don't know how big those clubs are at your school, so it's hard for me to say if your EC's will or will not be your strong points.

3- I don't think you will have a problem being admitted at other schools in Cali (ie Western, Touro, LL, UoP). Be prepared at the interviews, though.

Don't be intimidated by the application process! I remember when I first started, I felt discouraged as well, particularly since I didn't come from a UC school (or any other big-name school). However, I was offered 6 interviews and went to 4. I was admitted at USC, U Maryland, and UCSF while waitlisted at UCSD even though my interview at UCSD was very very bad.

I have a 3.6 overall GPA and a BS in Biochem. I've also had my share of C and B- with biology courses, in particular.

I wish you the best of luck in the application process!

Wow thats a suprise. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm definately trying hard to keep raising my GPA this quarter.

I guess I definately will start working on those apps really early since UOP and USC apparently both give preference to early apps.

Thanks again! Really helpful stuff. :)

PolarBear21 said:
Wow thats a suprise. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm definately trying hard to keep raising my GPA this quarter.

I guess I definately will start working on those apps really early since UOP and USC apparently both give preference to early apps.

Thanks again! Really helpful stuff. :)

I would also look at getting some experience at a pharmacy, volunteer or paid. It helps a lot. Especially since you need a LOR from a pharmacist for UOP. Besides that you seem competitive.
Good Luck

thaliagoo said:
Hello there,

First of all, I want you to know that you have nothing to be discouraged about! You have a competitive GPA and a good shot at most schools. Here are a few bits of advice I can give to you:

1- You have a very good chance at being admitted at USC based on your stats BUT apply early! I know someone with 3.0 science and 3.4 overall from UCSD who was admitted to USC. They accept many more applicants from their early interview sessions.

2- You should still apply to UCSD and UCSF. Many students in the 3.0-3.2 GPA category get admitted into these schools. If you do research, that's a big plus. Overall, they are looking for well-rounded applicants. I don't know how big those clubs are at your school, so it's hard for me to say if your EC's will or will not be your strong points.

3- I don't think you will have a problem being admitted at other schools in Cali (ie Western, Touro, LL, UoP). Be prepared at the interviews, though.

Don't be intimidated by the application process! I remember when I first started, I felt discouraged as well, particularly since I didn't come from a UC school (or any other big-name school). However, I was offered 6 interviews and went to 4. I was admitted at USC, U Maryland, and UCSF while waitlisted at UCSD even though my interview at UCSD was very very bad.

I have a 3.6 overall GPA and a BS in Biochem. I've also had my share of C and B- with biology courses, in particular.

I wish you the best of luck in the application process!

Why do you think your interview at UCSD bad?

highlyfavored said:
Why do you think your interview at UCSD bad?

hahaha I've had so many people PM me to ask that question that I may as well put it in my profile or something...

I was completely unprepared for it. I came back from overseas 2 days before the interview was scheduled. When I started talking, all of my answers sounded really bad... I think I had an anxiety attack. It came to the point where I just sat there, with nothing coming out of my mouth... I know it sounds crazy. I completely didn't answer some questions and the ones I did answer didn't make sense, but I was glad that I was still speaking. When I got out, I was so sad that I saw no point in finishing my essay because I thought I had 0 chance of getting in. I finished the essay half-heartedly and I'm sure the tone was quite different as well.

having an upward trend in grades looks good to schools too... a lot of them realize that not everyone wants to go to pharm school right off the bat, but they like to see that you are improving with time.

PolarBear21 said:

My stats:

Hah. You've nothing to be ashamed of in terms of stats. I've pretty much the same thing. So just volunteer/shadow in more pharmacies and you should be set.

PolarBear21 said:

My stats:

You have a very good chance to get into CA schools, don't let stats get you down. I try to tell everyone this because well-rounded students are favored rather than high GPA, at least UCSF does. I also learned from the application process that the reason there is a higher # of instate students in CA schools is because the ratio of in-state to out-of-state applicants is higher.

I was an active member and officer of NSCS, this helped me a lot with developing leadership skills and diversifying my community service work. Definitely mention this because schools like hearing about leadership, management skills, etc. This is a very legit organization and offers many opportunities that many don't bother researching. Also, I was an active member of Alphi Phi Omega, so we are frat brothers! (I love how girls are still referred to as brothers, haha :laugh: ) Being on the service committee counts, it shows you've taken a larger step in leading a group and shows your initiative. Also your pre-pharm club and vet experience are a plus, it shows that you are involved in pharmacy and are aware of what it is like in the some aspects of the field.

Again, don't be discouraged by your grades. Do keep them up and stay consistent with your extracurriculars. That shows that if you try hard it will pay off. Hope this encourages you!

Thanks guys! I really hope my upward trend continues, b/c to be honest I am such a different person now than when I was a freshman. Having a end goal (getting into pharm school) really helps develop consistent work ethic.

Hey Blizz what chapter were you in? Where you in CA? thats really cool