MD & DO Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumtimesuwonder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering where you guys think would be worth applying to. Just got my MCAT back and I'm just trying to set myself up. I'd like to stay on the east coast (and as close to PA as possible but if it means getting in ill go anywhere)

Major: political science (bio minor if anyone cares)
cGPA: 3.45
sSPA: 3.2
MCAT: 32
Extracurriculars:
Two years employment as a medical assistant at a dermatologists office
Two summers and one winter break as a technologist assistant at an imaging center

Things that hurt me:
Did a year of law school, hated it, dropped out

Possible schools as I see it now:

MD:
TCMC
Drexel
Cooper
Buffalo?
Hofstra?

DO:
PCOM x 2
LECOM
Touro
NYIT
WVCOM
Lincoln
UMDNJ
Nova
UNE
Ohio?

Members don't see this ad.

Buy the MSAR

If you're not URM, pick 10-15 MD schools with an average MCAT of 30-31 and GPA of 3.6-3.7 (Averages don't go much lower than that for GPA). Make sure they accept a good number of people from your state.

Then apply to >5 DO schools.

Work on improving extracurriculars.

That's just my advice but I'm applying next year as well. The blind leading the blind eh?

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a PA resident apply to all the PA MD and DO schools (except Pittsburgh). There is no point in applying to OOS public schools with your stats. Other MD and DO schools outside of PA that would be worth considering include Hofstra, New York Medical College, NYIT, Touro, Quinnipiac but I think you need to consider schools that are further away than the northeast to maximize your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
Your list is fine. You're good for ANY DO program.

Add your state MD schools, all new MD programs, and the Philly triplets.

Hi, just wondering where you guys think would be worth applying to. Just got my MCAT back and I'm just trying to set myself up. I'd like to stay on the east coast (and as close to PA as possible but if it means getting in ill go anywhere)

Major: political science (bio minor if anyone cares)
cGPA: 3.45
sSPA: 3.2
MCAT: 32
Extracurriculars:
Two years employment as a medical assistant at a dermatologists office
Two summers and one winter break as a technologist assistant at an imaging center

Things that hurt me:
Did a year of law school, hated it, dropped out

Possible schools as I see it now:

MD:
TCMC
Drexel
Cooper
Buffalo?
Hofstra?

DO:
PCOM x 2
LECOM