Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whitemule

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a junior at a certain liberal arts school in the northeast that you might guess by my username. By the end of this year I should have between a 3.45 and a 3.55 cumulative GPA and a 3.5+ science GPA. I got a 507 on the MCAT with very even scores. I volunteer at 2 hospitals every week (as well as other non-medical volunteering), I'm an EMT, and I worked in an ER this summer. What are my chances of getting into Tufts, BU, Dartmouth or UVM? And where else should I apply? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Invest in MSAR
2) Your MCAT score translates to around a 29 on the old scale. Your GPA is around a 3.5. One of those things has to go up to really boost your chances significantly.
3) Based off previous year results, about 30% of applicants with a 3.4-3.6 with a 27-29 were able to find an acceptance. About 50% of 3.4-3.6 applicants with a 30-32 were able to find an acceptance. 45% of applicants with a 3.6-3.79 and 27-29 were able to find an acceptance. 65% of 3.6-3.79 with a 30-32 MCAT were able to find an acceptance
4) Analyze how much prep went into your MCAT last time around. IF you have legitimate reasons to believe you can do significantly better on a re-take and time to study significantly more, it's definitely worth consideration to re-take. For many in situations like yours, its more feasible to raise their MCAT significantly(3+ points) than their GPA. You would need close to a 4.0 these next two years to really make a significant dent in changing your GPA to around 3.7 territory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems am not alone I am a male black African I got a 513 on MCAT and a 3.79 gpa what are ma chances of getting in an MD school considering the fact that I got a C- in two prerequisite classes chemistry and psychology two years ago at a community college. I also have three W's on my community college transcript I I was able to rectify my mistakes when I transferred to a four yr college and got A's and A- in ma science classes

Seems am not alone I am a male black African I got a 513 on MCAT and a 3.79 gpa what are ma chances of getting in an MD school considering the fact that I got a C- in two prerequisite classes chemistry and psychology two years ago at a community college. I also have three W's on my community college transcript I I was able to rectify my mistakes when I transferred to a four yr college and got A's and A- in ma science classes
You can apply anywhere you like if you are authentically African American.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you mean if I am authentically African American

What do you mean if I am authentically African American

I think what gyngyn means by "authentic" is that you're part of a group that is underrepresented in medicine (compared to say, Africans of European descent or Egyptians). Both can use "African-American" without technically lying, but only the former group is badly needed in our healthcare system.

I think what gyngyn means by "authentic" is that you're part of a group that is underrepresented in medicine (compared to say, Africans of European descent or Egyptians). Both can use "African-American" without technically lying, but only the former group is badly needed in our healthcare system.

Don't listen to him, he still bothers with Sejuani even after the cinderhulk nerfs.

Are you the Best Sejuani NA who is Challenger?

Reactions: 1 user
You can apply anywhere you like if you are authentically African American.
If he wrote, "I am a white guy, I got...." would you think he has a better than average chance of being admitted somewhere? I'd say yes. 513 is not to shabby and neither is 3.79.

I guess what you are saying is that a URM with those numbers can apply anywhere whereas a non-URM with those numbers should target the application in a strategic way.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess what you are saying is that a URM with those numbers can apply anywhere whereas a non-URM with those numbers should target the application in a strategic way.
We have a seen a rash of non-African applicants applying as such. This tends not to help the applicant.