Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soybean7

Reaction score
Hey, I need help choosing schools to apply to this upcoming cycle. Any suggestions?

Overall GPA: 3.86
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

AA 21, TS 20, PAT 22, QR 22, RC 22, Bio 20, Gen Chem 22, Org Chem 19
State of Residence: North Carolina

Major: Biochemistry
Minor: Public Health and Biology
Minority? Yes, African American
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~180 hours (mostly general, most specialties, some virtual)
Volunteering Experience: ~250 hours (Local community-Habitat for humanity, farm for formerly incarcerated women, blood drives, covid vaccine site, tutoring local high-school students)
Employment: ~2000 hours (Residence Life, general and organic chemistry lab assistant, tutoring university students, outdoor trip leader)
Research: 2 years (Investigating oral cancer chemotherapy synergy in vitro)
Other Extracurriculars: Hours and type; includes athletics, military, leadership, etc.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors Fellowship, presidents lists, $20k research scholarship
LOR type and strength: Research mentor, genetics prof, physiology prof, general dentist (I think they will all be strong) +UNC MED Program letter of rec after this summer.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Certs- CPR/AED, Basic First Aid, Wilderness Medicine First Aid, Certified Dental Assistant (haven't worked as an assistant yet, will begin work after I apply)
School list:
UNC, ECU, Howard, Meharry

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I need help choosing schools to apply to this upcoming cycle. Any suggestions?

Science GPA: 3.82
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.80

Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: ~180 hours (mostly general, most specialties, some virtual)
Volunteering Experience: ~250 hours (Local community-Habitat for humanity, farm for formerly incarcerated women, blood drives, covid vaccine site, tutoring local high-school students)
Employment: ~2000 hours (Residence Life, general and organic chemistry lab assistant, tutoring university students, outdoor trip leader)
Other Extracurriculars: Hours and type; includes athletics, military, leadership, etc.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Honors Fellowship, presidents lists, $20k research scholarship
LOR type and strength: Research mentor, genetics prof, physiology prof, general dentist (I think they will all be strong) +UNC MED Program letter of rec after this summer.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Certs- CPR/AED, Basic First Aid, Wilderness Medicine First Aid, Certified Dental Assistant (haven't worked as an assistant yet, will begin work after I apply)
School list: UNC, ECU, Howard, Meharry
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Science GPA: 3.82
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.80

Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Certs- CPR/AED, Basic First Aid, Wilderness Medicine First Aid, Certified Dental Assistant (haven't worked as an assistant yet, will begin work after I apply)
School list: UNC, ECU, Howard, Meharry
have you attended events/volunteered/shadowed/spoke to students and staff at ECU and UNC?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
have you attended events/volunteered/shadowed/spoke to students and staff at ECU and UNC?
I have attended many events and spoke to students and staff at both schools and plan on applying to both UNC and ECU
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!
My current list of schools is at the bottom.

all logical choices, ECU and UNC are your instate and the two HBCUs
what other factors are you considering?
small/medium class size, early clinical exposure, price/potential for scholarships. other than those I'm pretty open right now

small/medium class size, early clinical exposure, price/potential for scholarships. other than those I'm pretty open right now
that information is readily available (except for scholarships). make a list and we will tell you what we think
you need to have a range of schools, some reach, more in-range, and a few safety schools

Reactions: 1 user
I would add other Southern schools in the region. Some may have some scholarship money for URM applicants (network through SNDA to see). This means adding MUSC, VCU, UAB, Maryland. Now the OOS may be a little intimidating so check with them. Otherwise private schools near you could be in play: Columbia, Pitt, Penn, Temple. Just my suggestions but refine the list as it makes sense.

Here's my current list:
UNC
ECU
Howard
Meharry
UAB
UF
VCU
Maryland
Michigan
Penn
Columbia