Where to apply for postbacs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animaux

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - looking for some advice on where to apply next application cycle (applying in fall 2017).

I'm currently a senior in college double majoring in the humanities and a public-health related field. As a result of the second major I have done extensive (2 summers) public health related but not clinical work in developing countries. My medical exposure otherwise is slim other than classwork and papers, but I plan to spend next year following graduation acquiring clinical and domestic healthcare volunteering experience (and of course making 100% sure that this is what I want to do). I'm at a top 30 or so university and have about a 3.78 GPA right now, which will almost certainly be above 3.8 by graduation, and have had a 4.0 for the last several semesters. Unfortunately my freshman year wasn't as good, and I took genchem and one advanced bio class (13 credits total) of science classes as prereqs to the public health major with a science GPA of 3.2 (mix of A-, B+, and B with one B- in genchem) and an overall GPA of about the same.

Money isn't much of an issue (unsure about 2 years at Columbia though), so Bryn Mawr or Goucher would be ideal, but I'm note sure if having taken genchem with mediocre grades will preclude me from those programs. Also interested in UVA, UVM, and Bennington, but not as familiar with those. Would much prefer to be in a 1 year program with stronger institutional support. Any other recommendations? Are Bryn Mawr, Goucher, or anywhere else out of reach with that science GPA?

Any advice much appreciated!

Also would very slightly consider applying this year if the opportunity presents itself, but I don't mind taking a year off first to get the proper clinical exposure before applying to postbacs.

Members don't see this ad.