This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BB_USF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am in a 7-year program at USF in Florida and the program requires a 514 in order to matriculate into Morsani COM. I am looking for back up school (in-state and out-of-state, private/public) for if I come short or miss the score. Right now, I have a 509 (unbalanced) score and I am retaking the MCAT on JUly 9th.

What schools do you guys think would work?

I am a white, female from a rural/medical underserved community (but I did not apply disadvantaged).
GPA: 3.99
science GPA: 3.98

Will finish undergrad in 3 years.
I work as a tutor and I am a coordinator at a research lab (2 jobs)
150+ shadowing hours and 250+ hospital volunteer hours
I am a volunteer volleyball coach
I am president/founder of 2 clubs
Headed up two community service outreach programs
I studied abroad
Attended 1 conference
I've also participated a lot of community service/outreach programs

Any feedback would be great! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all your Florida schools, including Miami. For OOS schools you could try:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Your best chances are the Florida schools where you should be able to receive at least one interview with your stats. If you are going to apply you need to submit your application soon since applying in mid August when your MCAT score is available is a little late into the MD cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rural, low ish MCAT (but 509 isn't bad in FL), stellar gpa = FSU is your place lol

All Florida schools should be friendly to you. Depending on your app timing Novas new MD program could be a possibility too (2018 cycle I believe)

Florida is a good state to be an applicant in...what region are you from?

I dont have anything valuable to add school wise. But requiring a 91 percentile MCAT score? Some people just cannot score that high (in my opinion). After studying for 4 months, maxxing out my capacity, i took my exam and felt there was nothing further i could have done and it was always somewhat predetermined for me (not full-time study - was working as well -did my best).

Sorry for the hijack.. just stirred something in me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Just wondering Why did you say you didn't apply URM when that wasn't even an option for you?
Did you submit your primary? Have you been verified?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I dont have anything valuable to add school wise. But requiring a 91 percentile MCAT score? Some people just cannot score that high (in my opinion). After studying for 4 months, maxxing out my capacity, i took my exam and felt there was nothing further i could have done and it was always somewhat predetermined for me (not full-time study - was working as well -did my best).

Sorry for the hijack.. just stirred something in me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Yea the MCAT minimum in the USF program is pretty brutal. I actually know a couple people from my high school who turned down other guaranteed BSMD programs to go to USF and got screwed by their crazy MCAT requirement. I always got the feeling that it was unfair for them to ask for a minimum 33 when their median score is a 31 on msar.

Im not a big fan of USF med though, so I'm a bit biased...

I am from a small town called Green Cove Springs, about an hour south of Jacksonville and an hour west of St. Augustine. I loved the area, but it definitely limited my opportunities growing up. I probably should have applied disadvantaged, but my family always made sure I got to the doctor/hospital if I ever really needed to...and so in that regard, I didn't think it was fair to put disadvantaged (I thought I would be cheating the system).

With USF's 7-year program, you have to apply early decision to Morsani COM by June 10th (at least that what they said they wanted). So I didn't know my score when I sent in my primary application through AMCAS. My primary applicaiton has already been verified.

Yes, the score is ridiculous! I am mad that they are requiring a 514 when the average MCAT last year was a 510-511. I actually regretting sending in my application so early. I feel like I will improve on my retake and make my score more balanced, but I do not know if I will be able to make a 5 point jump with an extra month of studying.

Last edited:
To be clear urm means you are an under represented minority...if you are black/Hispanic/Native American that will dramatically shift your opportunities and where you should apply.

However if you are from a healthcare underserved region, then that's not that big a deal unless your applying to schools who's mission is to improve healthcare for the underserved (such as FSU).

Other places you could reasonably apply:
UF, USF through the conventional pathways, Fsu, fiu, fau, um, ucf. Oos: quinnipiac, Oakland, nymc, Albany, wake forest, western Michigan

OP said in her first post that she is white. Not sure why she keeps saying she didn't apply URM and she should have.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Oops...not URM. I meant disadvantaged! Sorry. There is the section of your application where you can either select whether you are disadvantaged or not.