Where to do my internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog1123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be beginning pharmacy school this fall and am trying to plan from now to set myself up for the best position possible in landing a job in a desirable location/just a job. I currently have been a CVS technician for 2+ years now and already have an internship lined up with the store I will be at. A couple other stores where I have worked at for hours have frequently reached out to my pharmacy supervisor and DM to see if I can intern at their store instead which my home PIC is adamantly against. I also have been offered a tech position at Walmart. I have yet to talk to Walmart's DM again to see if that would lead to an intern position but RPhs currently there have led me to believe it would so.

My dilemma is this. Leave CVS now and jump to Walmart as a tech or keep what I have going with CVS right now. Staying at CVS gives me a good chance to be hired by them when I graduate. I have good working relationships with the DM, PS and many pharmacys in my district. I have been repeatedly been told my long standing with CVS and grasp as a tech will almost assuredly (who knows 4 years from now though) get me hired. However, I know in general Walmart is superior to CVS in terms of quality of work, etc. Various RPhs have told me to jump ship now then later, but I do not know if I will be able to have the large chance I have of landing a position with Walmart that I have with CVS at the moment. I will be working while in pharm school looking to make a name for myself either way, but I would like to get the opinions from here. Should I jump to Walmart now as a tech and look to land an internship there and hopefully a job after? I would assume leaving CVS would close the door there to returning as an RPh. Or should I stick with my path at CVS. I currently love my store and a few of the stores in the district (There are quite a few bad ones as well though) and wouldnt mind floating there and hopefully landing one of those stores in the future but I can see RPhs ran hard at CVS and wouldnt mind leaving if I can still have a good landing spot at Walmart after my internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely do not leave CVS for Walgreens if you are happy with how things are going now. You can always transfer later.

If you can get in with Walmart do it as soon as possible. Walmart loves to hire pharmacy staff from within and that is your best chance.

Grocery store pharmacy >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stand alones.