Where to find research opportunities.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nma.la

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first time posting on SDN and definitely won't be my last. But I noticed on the MSAR that a huge majority (85%+) of applicants at U.S. med schools have done some form of research.

I am currently taking my remaining prereqs, with plans on taking the MCAT for the first time in April. I finished my undergrad studies in June of 2014 at a University of California school. Unfortunately I did not think to get involved in any kind of research and I feel like I sort of blew my chance.

I live in Los Angeles and would love if someone could maybe point me in the right direction of where I could look to apply/be considered for a research position given my situation.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I assume you have zero experience in research, which is a tiny disadvantage if you're looking for a job in research. But some of the job listings I've seen in NYC for entry-level research jobs simply require a 4-year degree in science and "recommend" research experience. You could always get in touch with your alma mater and speak with professors there, especially new professors who may not have filled their labs yet, but this would be purely voluntary (you should be gainfully employed as well if this is the route you choose)

I guess I should have specified, I am mainly looking for voluntary research. It doesn't have to be a paid research position.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I should have specified, I am mainly looking for voluntary research. It doesn't have to be a paid research position.

Email PIs at your alma mater and offered for FREE labor from an individual who can dedicate X hours/wk in a lab. The more hours you can devote, the better, especially because you are no longer a student and may have more flexible and open hours (such as the weekend and evenings).

Make it work. Free labor for 40hrs/week (average work week hours) would be too generous, imo. Treat it like a job, but if you need to get to lab by 9AM, then leave your house at like 6:30. You can always discuss your availability, your goals for the experience, and your responsibilities (helping out more senior researchers or working on your own project) with the PI. If you want experience in a high intensity, independent working style lab working for post-docs or graduate students, look for large labs with well established PIs. If you want to get hands on experience working on a project with close mentorship from the PI, go for a small lab.

Typically, assistant professors and other entry level tenure track positions in research are PIs of small labs. Full professors tend to have larger labs. Ask your underclassmen friends or just get a feeling when you interview at the lab.

But I noticed on the MSAR that a huge majority (85%+) of applicants at U.S. med schools have done some form of research.

The advice provided for finding research opportunities is good, but realize that the 85%+ statistic found in the MSAR is grossly exaggerated since most applicants don't have productive research experience (they categorize dishwashing and maintenance as research, as opposed to independent, hypothesis-driven research involving design and experiments).

If you have clinical experience then you could try to apply for some clinical research assistant type positions in your area. I'm sure in LA there would be plenty. Those would be kinda tough to get. But if you're looking for volunteer research positions in the life sciences your best bet is to email as many PIs at any institution nearby for opportunities. Some PIs and grad students I've spoken with are actually really fond of post-bac volunteers since they tend to be more flexible with scheduling and have more availability than your typical undergrad.