Where to go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snk24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your cumulative and science GPA: CGPA (3.35 with grade replacement) SGPA (3.91 no need for grade replacement)
-Your MCAT score (if available): N/A
-Clinical volunteer activities: 300 HRS
-Physician shadowing DO FP: 50 hrs MD FP: 50 hrs
-Employment: Worked as an ESL instructor in Mexico and France for a year a piece.

So, I've been wanting to be a physician for a while, but I royaaaaaally screwed up undergraduate. I graduated with my degree at a GPA around 2.75. After I realized that it was time I grow up, buckle down, and try and make med school happen, I did better. I did a post-bacc and replaced six classes that I made an F in, and did my prereqs. I have all As in my prereqs. Luckily, I hadn't taken those courses until after I got my stuff together, so the 3.91 SGPA is pure and without grade replacement. Though, I did take my prereqs at a community college, so I'm not sure if they'll look down on that a bit.

I'm looking at DO schools, but I don't know what more I can do to improve my chances, other than to perform well on the MCAT. I know that 3.35 is not a stellar GPA, but it's better than I had pre-grade-replacement. Will my success in the prereqs plus a good MCAT score outweigh it? Or should I keep replacing grades? There are some more courses I could replace, but they'd only raise my GPA by about .1, so I'm not sure if the time and cost are worth it (as I've already spent about 10,000 dollars on the post-bacc) for such a small gain in number. What about ECs?

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.35 cGPA might not be stellar, but a 3.91 sGPA is, and so is a strong rising trend. There are MD schools that reward reinvention and so if you can ace the MCAT, try a mix of both MD and DO schools.