where to live on rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just booked myself a one month elective rotation out in Detroit (I'm based out of NYC/NJ for the most part) and just began thinking about the actual logistics of it all. If I'm doing a one month rotation at a major city, and (likely) wont be spending a second month there, what kind of housing am I looking for.

Lets assume there is no hospital provided housing. Do most people rent a place for a month? Anyone specifically know if this is a legit option in Detroit and areas directly north of Detroit? Do most people live out of a low end motel and try to book a long term deal for the month?

What have people done in situations where they are briefly in a city totally foreign to them and then picking up and moving someplace else immediately afterwards. I'm okay with being a grifter and living out of a suitcase. Works fine for me. But of course I'd *prefer* to have an actual apartment.

Members don't see this ad.

When I set up my away electives, I emailed the university campus life coordinator who was gracious enough to send a global email to all its med students with my advert. I got a dozen replies. Pretty effective. Is your elective at a hospital affiliated with your school or perhaps a DMC affiliate?

No such luck. My schools influence is pretty much limited to NY Nj and California. Not bad states to have sway in, but it doesn't help me with Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just email the coordinator for suggestions. That's how I ended up paying $400/mo for a room in a resident's place for a month.

try contacting your alumni association...maybe there is someone in the detroit area who has a spare room or can offer advice.

I've done this before and here's how the things i tried. Always ended up w/ a craigslist subleas: 1. email coordinator 2. contact student interest group leader 3. Rotating room 4. Subletting through craigslist