Where to take Organic Chemistry during summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YB Kim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just joined this forum and I am pretty new here. I am thinking hard about taking Organic
Chemistry I and II over the next summer in my home town(Boston).

There many colleges in Boston like Harvard, BC, BU, Tufts, and Northeastern.
I know it is tough to take both of them during summer. But I like to challenge.

I'd appreciate it if you'd answer the following questions:

1) Is it a good idea to take them in summer?
2) If I take them in Harvard, it might look better but it may be harder to get a good
grade. So I like to ask if it matters where to take the sumer courses(Organic Chems) for medical
application ?
if not, I like to take the courses in a less expensive and closer place to my home.
3) Let me ask one more(sorry and thank you if you answer):
Becasue I got 5 on AP calculus BC, I am curently taking calculus 3 now(freshemen), and
I am planning to take statistics for psychology in Spring. Does this class count for premed
requirement? A math prof in the math department said that it does. Bu I like to
get it confirmed.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

UMASS Boston offers a 2 semsester sequence of Organic Chemistry with Lab from late May until late August. Since 8 months of Organic Chemistry and Lab is crammed into 3 months it is important not to fall behind. If you could obtain the textbook and study 3 or 4 chapters before the course starts it would help. The more you learn before the course starts the more likely you are to do well and not fall behind. Psychology Statistics should be accepted as a statistics course.

If I take them in Harvard, it might look better but it may be harder to get a good
grade. So I like to ask if it matters where to take the sumer courses(Organic Chems) for medical
application ?
if not, I like to take the courses in a less expensive and closer place to my home.

I'd appreciate your opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is the dilemma when you try to decide where to take Organic Chemistry. An A at UMASS Boston is better than a B- at Harvard. Look at it this way. If you took all your premed science courses at UMASS Boston and received all A's you would have a science GPA of 4.0. If you took all your science courses at Harvard and received all B's you would have a science GPA of 3.0 . A science GPA of 4.0 is more impressive than a 3.0 . However, an A at Harvard is more impressive than an A at UMASS Boston. It depends on how confident you are that you could obtain an A at Harvard. Only you know your academic strengths and weaknesses. Did you receive A's in General Chemistry at a competitive university ?

Hi,

I just joined this forum and I am pretty new here. I am thinking hard about taking Organic
Chemistry I and II over the next summer in my home town(Boston).

There many colleges in Boston like Harvard, BC, BU, Tufts, and Northeastern.
I know it is tough to take both of them during summer. But I like to challenge.

I'd appreciate it if you'd answer the following questions:

1) Is it a good idea to take them in summer?
2) If I take them in Harvard, it might look better but it may be harder to get a good
application ?
3) Let me ask one more(sorry and thank you if you answer):
Becasue I got 5 on AP calculus BC, I am curently taking calculus 3 now(freshemen), and
I am planning to take statistics for psychology in Spring. Does this class count for premed
requirement? A math prof in the math department said that it does. Bu I like to
get it confirmed.

Thank you very much!

Harvard's summer courses, while very well-taught, are no joke. It's 2 semesters of work crammed into 6 weeks. The average student spends 60+ hours a week on organic chemistry. If you fall behind at all, it's game over.

Yes, I got A in Chemistry at a top college.

Heyeveryone.

What about taking the organic chem in Northeastern University? It is not as great as Harvard, but they offer Organic Chem 1 and 2 for 12 weeks in summer(6 weeks each).
I think that will be less intense and I can have more time to obsorb.

The only question is, "How would do most medical school differentiate Northeastern
from Harvard?" Of course Northeastern university is not a bad school but a good one and nearby my home.

Has anybody taken Organic Chemistry at Harvard during summer?Organic Chem is not easy any way.
I like to ask how easy it is to get A grade. Someone says that it is not easy to get A. Someone says
that it is relatively easy to get A comparing to other schools in Boston Area like Tufts and BU.
Is that true?