where would u go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• Suny Buffalo

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • U of Vermont

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • Loyola

Votes: 55 61.1%

• Total voters

brr

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which school would you choose between Suny Buffalo, U of Vermont and Loyola? why?

Members don't see this ad.

which ever one was warmest and the most fun to live in.

Members don't see this ad :)
brr said:
which school would you choose between Suny Buffalo, U of Vermont and Loyola? why?
They all are med school.
Just pick the one that you would enjoy most... :luck:

brr said:
well too bad there's no one with "warm" weather. but probably the one with the most money and if not that then the place where I think i'll have the most fun. I'd pick loyola.

I think you would have many choices in which to do your clinical clerkships in years 3 and 4, with the metropolitan hospitals being so close to Maywood. But then again, I'm biased...I did my post-bac at Loyola, and it was a great experience. Go Chicago!

loyola has a ridiculous nice gym!

blump said:
loyola has a ridiculous nice gym!

that probably ranks among the stupidest reasons to choose a school

i don't think it was meant to be a reason; just an observation. :rolleyes:

chicagomel said:
i don't think it was meant to be a reason; just an observation. :rolleyes:
well this thread is "WHERE WOULD YOU GO" so obviously the OP is farming for reasons to choose one of the above three schools - meaning posts here are reasons for attending one over the other.

so most of you guys are not basing your decision on school rating, right?

brr said:
so most of you guys are not basing your decision on school rating, right?
The reality is that none of the schools are ranked by USNEWS, and they really don't have good or bad reputations to speak of. Loyola is probably the most "known" on SDN because its private, where as Buffalo and Vermont are public and most applicants not from those states know little about the schools.

Like the poster said, choose one you like the most. Base your decision on location, facilities, $$$, curriculum style, not school rating as you put it.

well, u of vermont is 16th in USNews
however, it is the most expensive one ( I'm out-of- state)

I would have to say NOT to choose Vermont.
Not because it is a bad school, my advice is strictly self-serving. UVM is my only allopathic waitlist!

J/k
I loved UVM and hope to see you there :luck:

nona1 said:
Actually, the University of Vermont is a top ten school - #9 to be exact. And it does have an excellent reputation, especially to those in the know (ie residency directors).
For those in the know, as you put it, primary care rankings mean squat. UVM is actually tied at number 9 with an osteopathic medical school. Not to burn osteopathy, but its widely acknowledged what the "best" medical schools are. Do you see them filling the top 20 of the primary care rankings or of the research rankings.
For the record, when I said none are ranked, I referred to research rankings as I do not think its telling to rank schools by how many grads they put into the primary care residencies.

I am sure the UVM has a good reputation around Vermont and for primary/rural medicine, in the same way that Loyola has a good reputation in Chicago (I know nothing of Buffalo). When I spoke of reputations I was speaking overall and nationally. I said none had any good or bad to speak of as they are not known as schools that produce poor clinicians or are overly easy to get into, and they are also not leaders of the medical education community.

I should have qualified my statements when I originally posted.

does anyone know how religiosly diverse the student body at Loyola is? is it true that 90% are christian?
thnx.