Where would you attend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliGal777

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simple question. Anticipating secondaries but wanted to get feedback. Obviously, if we have only one choice, then there is that!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

From this list ? Def Rowan. It has a great reputation and the match list seems to be top notch. I'm from NYC but Touro doesn't look too appealing to me.

Simple question. Anticipating secondaries but wanted to get feedback. Obviously, if we have only one choice, then there is that!

Thanks.
With a name like CaliGal, I don't think that Rowan will be in the picture.

If you were my kid, I'd send you to LECOM for the cheap tuition. If the required class attendance and dress code is too much for you, then Touro-NY

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

If you were my kid, I'd send you to LECOM for the cheap tuition. If the required class attendance and dress code is too much for you, then Touro-NY
Whoa @Goro is Touro-NY off of your bad boy list ?

Thanks for your reply. I did apply here but friends have said the same since I do not have regional ties and they are very strict about this apparently. Is this what you are alluding to?

I am surprised to hear all this stuff about KYCOM.

Avoid KYCOM like the plague unless you want to be around a cohort of students who average 450s on COMLEX, professors that get fired/arrested all the time, and get pushed into primary care by administration

Rowan > Touro > LECOM > others >>> KYCOM > BCOM ( can I add this lol)
Well. I was thinking about throwing in an application there but reviewing what others wrote, not so sure now.

Unless you’re in state, Rowans tuition is pretty stupid. Honestly, there’s nothing magical about most osteopathic schools. As a fourth year staring down the barrel of loan repayment, I really think more people should consider lecom.

Reactions: 2 users
Unless you’re in state, Rowans tuition is pretty stupid. Honestly, there’s nothing magical about most osteopathic schools. As a fourth year staring down the barrel of loan repayment, I really think more people should consider lecom.
Thanks for your feedback. This is my worry. It scares me how much these school charge. I am hoping LECOM gets me a secondary, but the others are merely there as safety school. I am not saying, any med school is bad, but hope I wount have to pick between ACOM, KYCOM, or WVSOM.

Yeah, they cleaned up their act.
Sure off your bad boy list but what puts them above CUSOM and ACOM? When I interviewed there (before the clean up) they were a dumpster campus and has similar personalities throughout administration. Just the smugness I got from the interview. If i remember, they hadn't created any real residency spots and they were continuously jocking for rotation sites around NYC where NYCOM has been and was successful with their students in LI.

My list id put Rowan>LECOM>CUSOM>ACOM>Touro NY> the rest on the list.

LECOM would jump ahead of Rowan if money came into play for you. It would for me to a certain extent

Thanks for your feedback. This is my worry. It scares me how much these school charge. I am hoping LECOM gets me a secondary, but the others are merely there as safety school. I am not saying, any med school is bad, but hope I wount have to pick between ACOM, KYCOM, or WVSOM.
lecom will give you a secondary. Bc their secondary is literally just you giving them more money and not writing anything lol. You can be successful wherever you go. Med school is mostly on you. I’ve met a brain surgeon from kycom for example. Iirc, wvsom is actually pretty good, just really expensive out of state.

I was accepted to LECOM in FL and for personal reasons (and the fact that the 100% PBL curriculum kind of scared me), I turned it down. In retrospect, it would've been nice to save ~80k and probably have the same outcomes since I mostly studied on my own for the first 2 years anyways. My vote's for LECOM, because I too doubt you'll get much love from Rowan.

lecom will give you a secondary. Bc their secondary is literally just you giving them more money and not writing anything lol. You can be successful wherever you go. Med school is mostly on you. I’ve met a brain surgeon from kycom for example. Iirc, wvsom is actually pretty good, just really expensive out of state.
Is it ok if I PM you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid KYCOM like the plague unless you want to be around a cohort of students who average 450s on COMLEX, professors that get fired/arrested all the time, and get pushed into primary care by administration

Rowan > Touro > LECOM > others >>> KYCOM > BCOM ( can I add this lol)

While I agree with your list of school rankings, I can assure you that professors do not get fired/arrested all the time (there was one in 2017 and they are no longer employed) at KYCOM. The admin does push for primary care but welcome to DO schools. Average board scores are low but we do have students with 250/650 every year. OP I still think Rowan is your best choice, followed by Touro and LECOM but don't avoid KYCOM because of these false accusations. If you have questions, you're more than welcome to PM me.

On this rank list, I would put CUSOM, WVSOM, and LECOM above the others.

Interesting. Curious to hear your thoughts on CUSOM and WVSOM? Just trying to gauge perspective so your input is greatly appreciated.
LECOM due to tuition and the fact that they have some of their own residencies.
CUSOM is definitely on the rise. Is - in my opinion - a good location in the South. Seems to know WTF they're doing. Students seem to do well and match well.
WVSOM because they're a state school - after you first year you can pay in-state tuition (if I remember correctly), and because it is a well-established state school, it has solid connections. Last time I checked their match list, they had good matches. But its been a year or two since Ive checked so maybe that has changed.

I was never and have never been a fan of any of the touros - I didn't like their vibes. But thats a biased reason really
KYCOM is the bottom of the list of schools just above LMU-DCOM and LUCOM. They also never sent me a rejection, just ghosted me. Kinda still bitter about that. But I personally wouldn't want to attend a school that treated people that way.
ACOM is a good school - new - but good. Solid rotation sites, good connections in the state. Students seem to do well, nice building.
Rowan is actually a really good school; no qualms other than they seem to really prefer in-state applicants and surrounding areas. I also, personally, CANNOT live in city like Philly. Not the kind of life for this small-town southern boy.

Again, ask 8 people, you'll get 9 opinions. KYCOM is really the only one on your list I would 100% avoid if possible.

CUSOM is definitely on the rise. Is - in my opinion - a good location in the South. Seems to know WTF they're doing. Students seem to do well and match well.
WVSOM because they're a state school - after you first year you can pay in-state tuition (if I remember correctly), and because it is a well-established state school, it has solid connections. Last time I checked their match list, they had good matches. But its been a year or two since Ive checked so maybe that has changed.

I was never and have never been a fan of any of the touros - I didn't like their vibes. But thats a biased reason really
KYCOM is the bottom of the list of schools just above LMU-DCOM and LUCOM. They also never sent me a rejection, just ghosted me. Kinda still bitter about that. But I personally wouldn't want to attend a school that treated people that way.
ACOM is a good school - new - but good. Solid rotation sites, good connections in the state. Students seem to do well, nice building.
Rowan is actually a really good school; no qualms other than they seem to really prefer in-state applicants and surrounding areas. I also, personally, CANNOT live in city like Philly. Not the kind of life for this small-town southern boy.

Again, ask 8 people, you'll get 9 opinions. KYCOM is really the only one on your list I would 100% avoid if possible.
Wow. you are right. I just checked out WVSOMs match list. I know its a reach for many but they had a CT Surgery Match.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
The way match works, you are crazy to base your match on anyone else's. Premed and med students don’t understand that match is a large portion the applicants choice and is absolutely geographic base
Please do not assume to think I am "crazy". I know very well how the match works, and the networking it takes along with years of factors that some never know including geographic ties. I have actually been in medical school before so know full and well the aptitude required to be able to get this. Its not just that match alone, its good to see a program that talks so much about primary care see its students in different areas. It is very impressive to see this nonetheless.

I could be wrong but I think you might be DOA at many schools. @Goro might know

you might have better luck with doing an SMP with linkage/guaranteed interview at a DO school
I did speak to @Goro. I am under the impression I am not. Ive been reciprocated well so far by the many admissions staff I spoke to but then again lets see. Frankly would be very dumb if schools based my health issues as a means to reject me, ofcourse theyll never say so. I did very well previously so Id like to think I have a shot.

I did speak to @Goro. I am under the impression I am not. Ive been reciprocated well so far by the many admissions staff I spoke to but then again lets see. Frankly would be very dumb if schools based my health issues as a means to reject me, ofcourse theyll never say so. I did very well previously so Id like to think I have a shot.
As a teaching moment, the Op is Not Dead on Arrival. My school has accepted other medical students who had to leave due to health issues.

This is the only way that a med-school withdrawal can get you into another medical school.

Yeah, they cleaned up their act.

Goro, obviously Touro was on your (and a few others!) 'bad' list. I see a decent amount of not-too-great stuff about them from 2015-2017, but nothing too recent and obviously they must have cleaned up their act to be off your bad boy list. Is there anything particular they did that makes you look more favorably upon them, did their match/USMLE rates improve, or was it a combination of a few things? I'm very curious to hear what you say as I respect your opinion a lot and I know you know your stuff!

Goro, obviously Touro was on your (and a few others!) 'bad' list. I see a decent amount of not-too-great stuff about them from 2015-2017, but nothing too recent and obviously they must have cleaned up their act to be off your bad boy list. Is there anything particular they did that makes you look more favorably upon them, did their match/USMLE rates improve, or was it a combination of a few things? I'm very curious to hear what you say as I respect your opinion a lot and I know you know your stuff!
Their Board scores (or rather, their pass rates) have indeed gone up.

KYCOM is cheaper than LECOM!

Because they ghosted you? Just trying to find specific reasons that will help me make a more informed decision about which school to attend.
Not only that, but that they also ghosted a lot of people which I guess isn't a huge deal except they also ghosted a lot of people from where their "mission statement" wants applicants from. Not a good look.
Furthermore, their last updated COMLEX level 1 first-time pass rate that they have posted (2018-19) is 85.5% in which the national first-time pass rate was 93%. They have not updated it since then (at least not that I can find on their website) which is another bad sign. It is also relatively in the middle of nowhere, associated with an extremely small university. I remember that when I was looking into schools, this school had negative attention from the community - as in they weren't looked at favorably (granted, that is the opinions of others, not something I experienced myself). Add in mandatory attendance.

All of these things add up to me for this to not be a great school. Now, I am not saying, "it is an awful school, don't touch it with someone else's ten foot pole." But what I am saying is that based on this list given, it is a bad school / choice. Personally, LMU, LUCOM, WCU, and KYCOM are the bottom barrel of DO schools in my opinion, all for various reasons. I am not saying that you wouldn't get an education that is worth something from these schools because you will. You just might have more barriers, hoops, and circus acts to jump through to be successful.

Just my opinion but the only thing that truly matters is Cost. Which school are you going to come out w/ less debt? In relation to cost, are any schools close to relatives that you can live with for free and not have to take out loans for living costs. My opinion is that the school you go to has minimal impact of residency in general, if you are a good student, study and test well, you will get good board scores wherever you go and you will have opportunity to get a competitive residency.

So cost, go where after 4 years, you have less debt. At the end of school and residency, there is this thing called a job that you will have that likely pays very well compared to average salary of most normal people. It makes a big difference if your debt is $100K vs $200K vs $400K.

Not only that, but that they also ghosted a lot of people which I guess isn't a huge deal except they also ghosted a lot of people from where their "mission statement" wants applicants from. Not a good look.
Furthermore, their last updated COMLEX level 1 first-time pass rate that they have posted (2018-19) is 85.5% in which the national first-time pass rate was 93%. They have not updated it since then (at least not that I can find on their website) which is another bad sign. It is also relatively in the middle of nowhere, associated with an extremely small university. I remember that when I was looking into schools, this school had negative attention from the community - as in they weren't looked at favorably (granted, that is the opinions of others, not something I experienced myself). Add in mandatory attendance.

All of these things add up to me for this to not be a great school. Now, I am not saying, "it is an awful school, don't touch it with someone else's ten foot pole." But what I am saying is that based on this list given, it is a bad school / choice. Personally, LMU, LUCOM, WCU, and KYCOM are the bottom barrel of DO schools in my opinion, all for various reasons. I am not saying that you wouldn't get an education that is worth something from these schools because you will. You just might have more barriers, hoops, and circus acts to jump through to be successful.
Thank you for the info!! It’s good to hear different perspectives 😃