Where would you go to earn the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it means a lot when nobody ever leaves. Crappy jobs have high turnover. Great jobs have almost no turnover.
I know plenty of hospitals with terrible anesthesia culture around for 50 years. And for all 50 years they have had an anesthesia department. thats longevity.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I know plenty of hospitals with terrible anesthesia culture around for 50 years. And for all 50 years they have had an anesthesia department. thats longevity.

perhaps you are not understanding what I am saying. I am saying that the system can't be bad if none of the doctors ever leaves for another job. Everybody is too happy to bother looking elsewhere. Our median time of working for our group is probably approaching 30 years. If people felt they were getting screwed over, I assume they would have looked elsewhere.

I think if I had to do eyes four days in a row, I'd be booked as a patient on the fifth day, after I desperately stabbed myself in my own eyeball just to get away.

When I'm 70 that's what I want to be doing

Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps you are not understanding what I am saying.
I understand completely what you are saying.. What I am suggesting is Inertia is a tough thing to overcome. Just because someone who is handcuffed to a job( for whatever reason) and stays doesn't really mean anything.

High turnover is always a bad sign but low turnover doesn’t necessarily mean everything is awesome.

I think if I had to do eyes four days in a row, I'd be booked as a patient on the fifth day, after I desperately stabbed myself in my own eyeball just to get away.
if money is good and work is easy … why the hell not

Because eyeballs.
I do plenty of eyeballs and don’t enjoy them at all. Especially I do lots of peribulbars and a busy day gets you exhausted. The older guys seem to love the pace and lack of acute care . Maybe they become more enjoyable as you get into the twilight of your career.

if money is good and work is easy … why the hell not

Off the top of my head, I can think of about 12,576 other things I’d rather be doing than sitting in an OR…even for easy money. If I thought harder, I could probably think of even more than that.

Reactions: 1 user
Off the top of my head, I can think of about 12,576 other things I’d rather be doing than sitting in an OR…even for easy money. If I thought harder, I could probably think of even more than that.
Not saying it’s like everyone cup of tea but some people enjoy making money. I got at least 2 decades before I’m in thst boat, but I can see the appeal.

Members don't see this ad :)

My mortgage isn't gonna pay itself

I understand completely what you are saying.. What I am suggesting is Inertia is a tough thing to overcome. Just because someone who is handcuffed to a job( for whatever reason) and stays doesn't really mean anything.

I will assume the dozens and dozens of partners we have had over the years haven't all felt handcuffed to a job or a location. If the group runs well, sharing the money and the work is about the best scenario possible. You can freely buy and sell whatever shifts you want to pick up or don't want to do.

I'm fairly certain I could not find a better job anywhere.

Additional reasons for not leaving include not having the ability to remain gainfully employed elsewhere. Once you are at a place long enough, you can basically do whatever the **** you want and/or be incompetent with impunity.

Reactions: 2 users
Additional reasons for not leaving include not having the ability to remain gainfully employed elsewhere. Once you are at a place long enough, you can basically do whatever the **** you want and/or be incompetent with impunity.

Describing terrible groups does not seem relevant to great groups in any way.

I am simply pointing out that sharing money and work equally can be wonderful, the best of all worlds when the group is well run.

This part is key and not every place works this way. I do get what you're saying though.

There are several financial ways for a group to run well. How a particular group runs financially is not what will determine if it is a good group to work for or not. It is the people and structure of it that determines it. As long as your work is rewarded via either money or time off to an adequate degree, you will probably be happy.

There are several financial ways for a group to run well. How a particular group runs financially is not what will determine if it is a good group to work for or not. It is the people and structure of it that determines it. As long as your work is rewarded via either money or time off to an adequate degree, you will probably be happy.

If you have good people who play fairly, it almost doesn’t matter what the structure is.

Reactions: 5 users
Pre. Very few make 550 post
Even in academic position with only 1 week vacation making 400 seems low. Now I don’t know if he/she is not counting they holiday days off as vacation but just straight one week off seems crazy for 400k

Even in academic position with only 1 week vacation making 400 seems low. Now I don’t know if he/she is not counting they holiday days off as vacation but just straight one week off seems crazy for 400k
Some academic institutions will explicitly tell you the honor of working for them and having their name on your CV makes up for the "$200K for 200 clinical days" standard offer. There are some crappy academic jobs out there, that are every bit as exploitive of new grads as the predatory PP groups we hear about on this forum.

Reactions: 8 users
Some academic institutions will explicitly tell you the honor of working for them and having their name on your CV makes up for the "$200K for 200 clinical days" standard offer. There are some crappy academic jobs out there, that are every bit as exploitive of new grads as the predatory PP groups we hear about on this forum.
Classic-600x360.jpg

tell him you are living about two full levels on the pyramid lower.

pretax or post tax?
Would be impossible to list compensation as post tax since your spouse may make 500k or 50k which naturally would change your post tax salary. Looks like the ad was taken down, or at least I’m not seeing it now.

Good friend from residency got a pretty sweet gig. Only works call shifts which is home call, q3. 17 weeks off. 640K. Midwest rural community hospital part of a big name health system.

Reactions: 6 users
If I'm in any OR doing anything for a paycheck at 70 something very terrible has gone wrong in my world.
I don’t know. Been doing this for a while! Went into anesthesia because I love the OR! Wasn't terribly Interested in doing surgery for various reasons so figured I would try anesthesia. Did a rotation in med school and loved it! So as I reach the twilight of my career as continue to ask myself if I would like to be doing something also or not and working in the OR keeps winning out. I have changed once in my career to a different practice that I find more enjoyable than a previous one. At one point on my prior practice I had considered doing something else but am glad I didn’t and just found a different practice that was more suitable and so glad I did. Is current practice perfect? Of course not but checks the majority of the boxes that keeps me where I am. If that changes I won’t hesitate to do something else. I have always told my children find what you are passionate about and do it, it really is true that if you love what you are doing it doesn’t feel like work. It may sound trite and simplistic but it’s true.

If 17 weeks off q3 that likely means only 3 physicians in the call schedule. 17 FULL weekends as well.

I’m in a similarish setup (not as lucrative and I work more ha), and that number weekends are no joke no matter the time off.

Which means that if you aren’t on vacation call is q2.

I assumed 4 physicians with 1 on vacation at a time and the other three taking q3 call. Still 10 calls a month on average can really be a beatdown. Depending on how busy the calls were, sustaining it for more than a couple years would be very difficult. Salary is good, but is it worth it?

Reactions: 3 users
52/3=17.3
52/4=13

Assuming one doc off at any given time, I vote 3 docs. But then call would be q2, not q3, during work weeks. I’m confused.

Last edited:
Good friend from residency got a pretty sweet gig. Only works call shifts which is home call, q3. 17 weeks off. 640K. Midwest rural community hospital part of a big name health system.
So 17 wk off is 39 weeks on. At q3 is 100-110 days work. 24 hours likely. So 2500 to 3k hours per year which is 250$ ph avg.

Is my math correct ish?

Ita really flipping good. Especially if some non busy nights

So 17 wk off is 39 weeks on. At q3 is 100-110 days work. 24 hours likely. So 2500 to 3k hours per year which is 250$ ph avg.

Is my math correct ish?

Ita really flipping good. Especially if some non busy nights
Depending on how rural it is it may be boring. I don’t see how rural can really afford that salary. So therefore it’s probably more so a busier place with a population of 250k or so but the only game or two in town where you are going for a good 16 hours or so. Like the rural I experienced in Indiana. That place was no joke. They did lung and heart transplants but population was 300k.
My guess.

17 weeks off means 3 people total in all likelihood. Q3 is likely their “average” over the year.

34-35 weeks of Q2 24s. Q3 weekends. This gets really old, really fast. I know.

17 weeks off means 3 people total in all likelihood. Q3 is likely their “average” over the year.

That’s what I was getting at. Even faster if you are working postcall.

Totally depends on how bad the call is. This is my schedule in a cv practice and I really like it.

Totally depends on how bad the call is. This is my schedule in a cv practice and I really like it.
No offense but if you can do q2 call in a cv place, that probably shouldn't be a cv place...

52/3=17.3
52/4=13

Assuming one doc off at any given time, I vote 3 docs unless they get additional “vacation” on top of the 17 weeks off. But then call would be q2, not q3, during work weeks. I’m confused.
Three docs. They get post call days and it sounds like CRNA’s cover epidurals overnight. Seems like a great gig but as others have stated - a lot of weekends worked and time tied to the pager