Which anatomical area have you NEVER treated pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just for fun; I think I've treated pain everywhere except:

1. Nose
  2. Pinna
  3. Spleen
How about you?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
come on... you must have treated PHN involving nose/face...

i dont think there is a body zone i havent been asked to see.

Just for fun; I think I've treated pain everywhere except:

1. Nose
  2. Pinna
  3. Spleen
How about you?
You must've forgotten about that fibro pt with "pain all over"

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"my hair hurts" - FMS patient

• Haha
I had a patient state that their pain was "outside of their body" "It isn't actually my chest that hurts, but about two inches above my chest, you know what I mean doc?" I asked a bunch of clarifying questions but they insisted the pain was outside of their body. This wasn't a phantom pain situation either. I had never seen this before or since....

I had a patient state that their pain was "outside of their body" "It isn't actually my chest that hurts, but about two inches above my chest, you know what I mean doc?" I asked a bunch of clarifying questions but they insisted the pain was outside of their body. This wasn't a phantom pain situation either. I had never seen this before or since....
So what was it and howd you treat it?

I think this is possible.

This is a great TED talk. These scientists actually re-created this same situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
colorectal guys do it pretty routinely for anal fissures and spasm. colorectal surgeons, that is. my patients smell bad enough in other parts of their body. dont need to add another

colorectal guys do it pretty routinely for anal fissures and spasm. colorectal surgeons, that is. my patients smell bad enough in other parts of their body. dont need to add another
Interesting you said that bc we did it with a colorectal guy. They did internal and we did external (not sure why they can't do both TBH).

Truth be told, severe anal spasms have got to hurt. I can't imagine that. This poor woman had several per day.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting you said that bc we did it with a colorectal guy. They did internal and we did external (not sure why they can't do both TBH).

Truth be told, severe anal spasms have got to hurt. I can't imagine that. This poor woman had several per day.

tenesmus. i get about 1-2/year, and when i do, the entire house hears me scream "tenesmus!!!" its therapeutic.

Anything requiring a pelvic exam lol. I once knew a pain doctor that did pelvic a on every female patient believe it ..or not

I had an attending make me do a pelvic exam on a 20yo woman with pelvic pain, during fellowship. It was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever done professionally

I had a vaginal stalker my intern yr.

24-26 very attractive female. I did a speculum exam and she moaned. Came back for the follow up asking for another. I sent to OB and they did a speculum (negative). Sent back to me.

Last visit I discharged her. Kept asking for another vaginal exam and her ROS was all directed at me - For example, she has anxiety and palpitations whenever she sees me...Weird stuff like that.

I will not be exploited by attractive women. There's more to me than just an otherworldly amount of good looks. I'm physically perfect, but there's more to me than just that.

Like, I know stuff too.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

24-26 very attractive female. I did a speculum exam and she moaned. Came back for the follow up asking for another. I sent to OB and they did a speculum (negative). Sent back to me.

Last visit I discharged her. Kept asking for another vaginal exam and her ROS was all directed at me - For example, she has anxiety and palpitations whenever she sees me...Weird stuff like that.

I will not be exploited by attractive women. There's more to me than just an otherworldly amount of good looks. I'm physically perfect, but there's more to me than just that.

Like, I know stuff too.
i have a good looking patient about once every 2 years.

Reactions: 5 users
This is where Ducttape will beat us all by saying he had a 8/10 back in '94, and nothing but cripples and strays since.

"when i was your age the patients would come in to see me skinned alive. we used to do dry needling with rusty nails. one patient lost her entire thoracic spine in a bear-hunting incident"

Pain pts...I'd say I have an occasional real estate agent with neck pain that I'd consider hot. They're all taking Adderall too.

Like, I know stuff too.
Send her to Epter for 2nd opinion.

I managed to make it through all residency and fellowship (including a month in the ER intern year) without having to do a pelvic or rectal exam. I’m ok with that not being part of my skill set.

This is where Ducttape will beat us all by saying he had a 8/10 back in '94, and nothing but cripples and strays since.
the fact of the matter is, if i saw someone who actually thought i was attractive, then, without asking a single quesion, i know her Axis I and Axis II diagnoses

• Haha