Which Anesthesia Programs Didn't Fill in Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stimulate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that the Match of 2007 is over can someone list the data as to which Anesthesiology residencies did not fill? I looked on NRMP website and can't find the data...

Members don't see this ad.

It's on the NRMP web site if you look under the reports section. It is a state-by-sate listing of all of the programs in each state. You should be able to find what you're looking for there.

Can you post a link? Do you have to be able to log-in because I don't have a log-in...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you Stony Brook got 4 of 10 filled initially. The scramble time filled four more spots; I'm not sure how many more have filled since.

I ask, again, if anyone knows WHY they did so poorly (grapevine info, if you interviewed there, etc), I'd love to hear about it.

dc

Yeah, you have to be able to log in to get that report. It's huge so I would hate to post the actual report here.

Here is the list according to NRMP

UConn 1
MCG 2
Rush 3
Iowa 6
U of Kansas 2
JHU 1
BMC 1
MCW 5
MGH 4
Dartmouth 4
UMNDJ 2
NY Methodist 1
Nassau 1
Cornell 2
SUNY Brook 2
Sunny Upstate 7
Stony Brook 6
Vermont 1
U washington 4

How did dartmouth have 4 unfilled slots? Isn't here program only 4 or 5 slots anyway? Everyone I've talked to has said they had a solid program so I'm shocked to say the least

How did dartmouth have 4 unfilled slots? Isn't here program only 4 or 5 slots anyway? Everyone I've talked to has said they had a solid program so I'm shocked to say the least

I believe 8 is what they told us when I interviewed there. 4 categorical and 4 advanced. Solid program, just thought the cost of living was outrageous.

thanks for posting that info!

I don't think going unfilled necessarily means that these are bad programs. I bet the programs over-estimated the competition for spots and didn't rank as many applicants.
The Match is almost more about who is better at playing games than open and honest discussion between programs/applicants...

There has been a lot of discussion about why our spots did not fill. Generally, there are two camps- the less desirable programs that consistently don't fill, and the more desirable programs that take turns not filling every year. The less desirable programs are self explanatory- many people get interviews, programs rank as many candidates as they can, but for some reason, people don't want to go there. It may have been personal reasons, location, etc... just goes with the territory.

Obviously. anesthesiology is not like plastic surgery or optho. Programs that are less attractive to candidates will obviously go unfilled, just like most other specialities that are not super competitive. This years match results directly reflect result of the high match rates and perception of competitiveness in anesthesiology from the years before. As has been mentioned, programs saw a huge swing in applicants, and the top programs basically interviewed the same 120 people around the country. So if you were one of those candidates, getting the interview was the hard part, with avg board scores shooting into the mid 230s (thanks MD Dreams), a good deal of AOA, etc. Matching at least one of the 'top' programs was almost assured if you weren't a complete jerk in your interviews.

It's the top programs who screwed up by not interviewing and then not ranking enough candidates based solely on perceived increase in level of interest. UCSF went unfilled the year before based on ranking so few people (just a portion of their interviewed applicants), and this year Cornell, MGH, Dartmouth had the same issues- knowing that they are top programs, they ranked very few candidates compared to the actual pool of top candidates available because they assumed there was no way more than a handful of people would pass up such programs in those locations. Programs really need to sell themselves these days to students who would rather be in a local, friendly program than a high powered, impersonal institution.

The whole purpose of this probably self explanatory ramble is for the students next year to realize that anesthesia hasn't dropped off in competitiveness from the year before. The desirable programs and desirable locations will fill- they may have smartened up now (although theyll forget in a few years) and will extend a few more interviews or rank a few more people, but in reality the 'cutoffs' will not be lowered. Programs will just do a little more of what applicants this year had done (apply to 30 programs, interview at 15, rank 14, and send letters to all, knowing that in reality there were only 2 places you were considering :D ). So keep the hard work going- and don't let the numbers fool you. The bottom line is if you want to get into ANY anesthesia program it will happen, but if you want to get into a DESIRABLE program, keep workin.. as many people have found out, scrambling into a desirable program is extremely hard to do, as programs already have in mind who they want out of the match.

well, have a good day, all

SC

Just FYI I think that must be the KU- Wichita program. The KU - Kansas City program I am pretty sure matched all their spots.

yea i am shocked about stony brook as well.....it is the best program on the actual island (by this i mean counting BK).....i would have seriously considered that program if i was tied to the island...in fact prob be applying for a job there if i decide to head back there....if anyone has any input, id be curious to know......

Members don't see this ad :)

UConn 1
MCG 2
Rush 3
Iowa 6
U of Kansas 2
JHU 1
BMC 1
MCW 5
MGH 4
Dartmouth 4
UMNDJ 2
NY Methodist 1
Nassau 1
Cornell 2
SUNY Brook 2
Sunny Upstate 7
Stony Brook 6
Vermont 1
U washington 4

I don't know where this person got their information, but I can confirm it is not accurate for at least two of the programs, which makes me doubt the accuracy of the remainder of the list as well.

I don't know where this person got their information, but I can confirm it is not accurate for at least two of the programs, which makes me doubt the accuracy of the remainder of the list as well.

??
it's published on NRMP for all match applicants. it's accurate.

copied right out of the NRMP report, and yes U kansas was Witchita, and yes your a fool

copied right out of the NRMP report, and yes U kansas was Witchita, and yes your a fool

Wow, I want to be a doctor where you're going. Didn't take you long to resort to personal insults. Nice job. Incidentally, it is "you are" a fool.

I wasn't implying you copied the information incorrectly. Clearly the NRMP is infallible, and having direct access to the lists at schools would obviously be trumped by data from the NRMP. I'm sure in the years of the match there has never been a mistake in any of their documents or the match process *rolls eyes.* Only pointing out that people should take what they read here with a grain of salt.

Wow, I want to be a doctor where you're going. Didn't take you long to resort to personal insults. Nice job. Incidentally, it is "you are" a fool.

I wasn't implying you copied the information incorrectly. Clearly the NRMP is infallible, and having direct access to the lists at schools would obviously be trumped by data from the NRMP. I'm sure in the years of the match there has never been a mistake in any of their documents or the match process *rolls eyes.* Only pointing out that people should take what they read here with a grain of salt.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: lighten up dude, and no one likes a grammar nazi

Go away.

UConn 1
MCG 2
Rush 3
Iowa 6
U of Kansas 2
JHU 1
BMC 1
MCW 5
MGH 4
Dartmouth 4