Which are the best DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you berate me, I have done extensive searching on these forums but cannot seem to find a SOLID consensus on this question.

I am an RN and have done pediatric trauma for 3.5 years. My cGPA is 3.75 (science 3.92). I take the MCAT in May and I am an ORM.

I am pretty decided that I would like to go DO as I like the thought of more holistic medicine and OMM. I live in Texas, but would not be opposed to going elsewhere if I do not get into TCOM. What do you think are the best DO schools, as far as quality of clinical rotations and curriculum? My ideal goal would to be either a pediatric hospitalist, but I am open to primary care as well! (My partner is doing their MBA/NP currently, so being near a major city where they could do an administrative fellowship would also be an important factor).

Thank you if you could shed any light onto this!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask ten people and you're going to get 11 different answers.

I have a high regard for:
UNECOM
VCOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
MUCOM
CCOM
AZCOM
DMU
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
both Westerns
TCOM
KCOM
KCU

Reactions: 10 users
Before you berate me, I have done extensive searching on these forums but cannot seem to find a SOLID consensus on this question.

I am an RN and have done pediatric trauma for 3.5 years. My cGPA is 3.75 (science 3.92). I take the MCAT in May and I am an ORM.

I am pretty decided that I would like to go DO as I like the thought of more holistic medicine and OMM. I live in Texas, but would not be opposed to going elsewhere if I do not get into TCOM. What do you think are the best DO schools, as far as quality of clinical rotations and curriculum? My ideal goal would to be either a pediatric hospitalist, but I am open to primary care as well! (My partner is doing their MBA/NP currently, so being near a major city where they could do an administrative fellowship would also be an important factor).

Thank you if you could shed any light onto this!

Come on now, if you know you're about to be berated, you've done enough searching to know there is no solid consensus on this topic. Why don't you wait and see what your MCAT is and consider applying to state TX schools, where the tuition is half the average DO school.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Come on now, if you know you're about to be berated, you've done enough searching to know there is no solid consensus on this topic. Why don't you wait and see what your MCAT is and consider applying to state TX schools, where the tuition is half the average DO school.
Only because I don't want to be completely ripped apart haha. I know, but some of the advice is more than 2 years old which leads me to think that some things might have changed at the schools. Not sure. It's just a shame (as well as confusing) that there's isn't a true ranking.

The one that accepts you, as they say.

Reactions: 7 users

UNECOM
VCOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
MUCOM
CCOM
AZCOM
DMU
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
both Westerns
TCOM
KCOM
KCU

No OSUCOM? I thought they were well regarded among DO schools.

Basically, it's the one that accepts you. But in no particular order, my top 10 are:
KCUCOM
DMUCOM
PA-PCOM
TCOM
MSUCOM
OSUCOM
OUHCOM
RVUCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM

Reactions: 4 users

Please don't take this as berating... but there have been a lot of threads on this topic over the years. The reason there's no "solid consensus" is that it's a completely subjective matter. There's no objective way of ranking schools, because we all have our own biases and preferences. Choose a school on your own terms, not on the basis of some arbitrary rank list from an anonymous person on the internet. Go where you think you'll feel most comfortable and happy.

Reactions: 2 users
Everybody ranks them differently based on what they perceive to be the most important factors. In your case any school near a city that is not brand new and has established rotations will be a pretty good fit. Cast a wide net and attend interviews and go with your gut.

The "Founding Five" and state schools I have high regard for.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The school you get in to. Once admitted, it's up to you to get where you want to go. Does you undergrad take credit for your MCAT score? In most cases, I dont think your COM is responsible for your Step/Comlex score. Understand from day 1 you have some obstacles and plan/work to overcome them. You'll need good board scores to get a look by residencies, and you will have to make yourself a competetive candidate for whichever field you choose. We had a good match this year.

I don’t think there is a big difference between DO school, especially the established ones(not new). I made my DO school list based off where I wanted to live/work.

If you dig through SDN/reddit, there is a PD ranking list somewhere that includes both DO & MD schools, up to you how much you value that list.

At the end of the day, you are going to be a doctor.

TCOM is #1 and its not close (according to their match lists + tuition IMO)

Then State schools + older schools like PCOM/KCU with access to GOOD research either at the school or in the city. For example at OSU, a research team started about 4 years ago here and the first class involved in this just matched (around 8-10students I believe) and those matches include plastics, IR, ortho, ENT, acgme anesthesia, very good academic psych program, university IM, and a couple others I don't know of the top of my head. Research can really help.

Then oldish schools with match data

Then new schools

then (IMO) CCOM/AZCOM (last because these schools are not worth 70k+ a year (100+k after living expenses) as you can get any residency from other DO schools that you could get here with working hard). The tuition here is honestly robbery.

Reactions: 4 users
From what I gathered, the most reputable ones seem to be Rowan SOM, UNECOM, PCOM, MSUCOM, Midwestern (CCOM and AZCOM), NYITCOM, DMU and TCOM.

Reactions: 1 user

UNECOM
VCOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
MUCOM
CCOM
AZCOM
DMU
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
both Westerns
TCOM
KCOM
KCU
Surprised you don’t have Campbell on there given the large amount of GME they created with acgme accred. 2019 class had 100% placement. I would have gone there if they didn’t have the dumb attendance and dress code rule lol

Surprised you don’t have Campbell on there given the large amount of GME they created with acgme accred. 2019 class had 100% placement. I would have gone there if they didn’t have the dumb attendance and dress code rule lol
The two balance out. I may reconsider the next time I make the list!

I don't think there's alot of P/F grading in DO schools.

TCOM is #1 and its not close (according to their match lists + tuition IMO)

Then State schools + older schools like PCOM/KCU with access to GOOD research either at the school or in the city. For example at OSU, a research team started about 4 years ago here and the first class involved in this just matched (around 8-10students I believe) and those matches include plastics, IR, ortho, ENT, acgme anesthesia, very good academic psych program, university IM, and a couple others I don't know of the top of my head. Research can really help.

Then oldish schools with match data

Then new schools

then (IMO) CCOM/AZCOM (last because these schools are not worth 70k+ a year (100+k after living expenses) as you can get any residency from other DO schools that you could get here with working hard). The tuition here is honestly robbery.
This post pretty much hits the nail on the head. Go to a state school if you can. If not, it doesn’t mean a whole lot so go where you want. I’m at an “established” school and honestly I just don’t see what’s so much better than going to a marginally cheaper or newer school.

I understand that the majority of established DO schools offer the same opportunities and results depend on individual performance.

Having said that, what are the schools with the most student-friendly policies that facilitate a smooth learning experience? As in, least or no mandatory attendance, lenient grading (ideally P/F), spaced out exam schedule, effective curriculum that prepares well for boards, and least amount of unpleasant or unnecessary hurdles students face?
Humor doesnt translate well on social media, so I have to ask," Is this a serious question"?

There are really no true ranking for DO schools but from my research I really like NYITCOM, PCOM, Rowan, UNECOM, DMU and CCOM a ton. I haven't looked at the DO schools into the West much since I been focusing on schools out in the east coast, but these 6 schools are schools that I'd def apply to and would love to attend.

PNWU, PCOM, VCOM, CCOM, DMU, TCOM, KCOM, KCU, WVSOM are all good choices. Stay away from newer schools if you can.

Last edited:
Take all of these responses with a grain of salt. People usually go to 1 Med school and that school ends up becoming the top or bottom of their list.

Notice how people are saying IMO, I high in high regard, from what I can tell? They probably don’t know jack.

DO schools don’t have clear rankings so that should make it more of a level playing field. Trust (more than others) responses from adcoms, advisers (@Goro), because they probably have done some research and have experience in the field. Avoid school that are on probabtion or are consistently mentioned as bad (TOURO-Harlem)

Other than that, choose a school that won’t completely rip you off on tuition. Closer to home will probably save you monies. Looking at match lists isn’t helpful because everyone is different in what they want. Pass rates and board averages aren’t super helpful in my opinion because practically the all same resources are used during board prep. (UFAP)

Reactions: 1 users
ATSU-AZCOM is not impressive. TUNCOM facilities are sub-par. PNWU, PCOM, VCOM, CCOM, DMU, TCOM, KCOM, KCU, WVSOM are all good choices. Stay away from newer schools if you can. Just don't apply to LUCOM.
Depends on the new school. CUSOM, ACOM are new and are doing great so far. ARCOM hasn't graduated a class yet, but has been moving in the right direction. They have full support of the state, plus they have fairly good rotation sites, and already their own affiliated Hospital with residency programs and multiple contracts with other major hospitals in the states for new GME development.

Depends on the new school. CUSOM, ACOM are new and are doing great so far. ARCOM hasn't graduated a class yet, but has been moving in the right direction. They have full support of the state, plus they have fairly good rotation sites, and already their own affiliated Hospital with residency programs and multiple contracts with other major hospitals in the states for new GME development.
I'm not saying all new schools are bad, but they don't have a reputation yet. Some of them have great potential, but there's no data right now to back up any claims for being a good or bad school.

I'm not saying all new schools are bad, but they don't have a reputation yet. Some of them have great potential, but there's no data right now to back up any claims for being a good or bad school.
How is WVSOM's IM matches? I want to go into IM and eventually do a fellow in neuro or cardio. Does WVSOM match their students into good IM residencies that prepare them to apply for moderately competitive fellowships?

How is WVSOM's IM matches? I want to go into IM and eventually do a fellow in neuro or cardio. Does WVSOM match their students into good IM residencies that prepare them to apply for moderately competitive fellowships?
Where you match is gonna fall entirely on you, NOT the school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
WVSOM prepares you well for all primary care residencies. IM is very easy to get into, but it will be difficult to get into university programs. Cardio is one of the more difficult fellowships out of IM so you've got to put in the work during your residency and check all the boxes for whichever Cardio fellowships you're looking at. Neuro is easier to get into than Cards.

WVSOM prepares you well for all primary care residencies. IM is very easy to get into, but it will be difficult to get into university programs. Cardio is one of the more difficult fellowships out of IM so you've got to put in the work during your residency and check all the boxes for whichever Cardio fellowships you're looking at. Neuro is easier to get into than Cards.
So as long as I get good board scores, stick my hand into research opportunities, and try to match into the best possible IM residency, aiming for cardio is not unreasonable?

Friendly reminder to keep the discussion civil. These threads tend to get out of hand quickly, especially as application season rolls around and posts in this thread are already getting flagged. Please try to be both thoughtful and respectful in your responses, as it is part of our community standards.

I have my mind pretty set to OUHCOM rn, but what do you think about OUHCOM vs MUCOM?

Friendly reminder to keep the discussion civil. These threads tend to get out of hand quickly, especially as application season rolls around and posts in this thread are already getting flagged. Please try to be both thoughtful and respectful in your responses, as it is part of our community standards.

Thought and respect? What are those ;)

• Haha
So as long as I get good board scores, stick my hand into research opportunities, and try to match into the best possible IM residency, aiming for cardio is not unreasonable?
Some cards fellowships require USMLE so it would be wise to take that. This may change more with the merger, but most things after the merger will stay the same. DO's can match into anything......including ortho and plastics, but it is more difficult. It takes a very special applicant. If you want Cardio, you'll probably get it if you put in the work.

Pardon my ignorance: when you say “neuro” fellowship do you mean neurocritical care? Or do you mean nephro/nephrology?

Pardon my ignorance: when you say “neuro” fellowship do you mean neurocritical care? Or do you mean nephro/nephrology?
Nephro is going to be a direct fellowship from internal med. Neuro has a few options including an actual neuro residency or you can do a neuro/internal combined program that is about 5 years. Sorry if I was misleading.

Not sure where they got that data but some of it doesn't line up with the most current US News ratings published via their compass package.

My understanding was that it isn't strictly based off of USNWR.

Basically, it's the one that accepts you. But in no particular order, my top 10 are:
KCUCOM
DMUCOM
PA-PCOM
TCOM
MSUCOM
OSUCOM
OUHCOM
RVUCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
lol find it weird that Rowan never gets any love in these lists they started in the 70s id say thats pretty well established

Last edited:
lol find it weird that Rowan never gets any love in these lists they started in the 70s id say thats pretty well established
I would guess Rowan is a good school, but I don't know much about it, so I didn't rank it. As you may know ranking of DO schools is based heavily on people's opinion, and these schools I really liked during my application cycle. Maybe Rowan could make my top 12 lol.