Which area of my application should I focus on most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minglehox

Reaction score
  1. cGPA:3.65 -> DIY post-bacc in progress, current 4.0 (lowest expected ~3.8)
    1. Attended an R2 state school for undergrad, splitting my DIY post-bacc between there & local CC
  2. Haven’t taken MCAT yet (taking a gap year to focus on studying & improving ECs)
  3. Clinical Experience: 2312+ paid patient care hours (psych tech, MA, Assistant CRC) -> still currently employed as an MA
  4. Research: 245 hrs(no pubs)
    1. Solo research w/ mentor (paid): 160hr, poster presentation
    2. Research project during class: 25hr, poster presentation
    3. Research assistant in my university's cancer lab: 60hr, no poster or pubs
  5. Shadowing: 173 hrs
    1. 1 ER MD ~ 16hr
    2. 1 Neuropsychiatrist MD ~ 50hr
    3. 1 PA, 1 NP (both neuropsych) ~ 107hr
  6. Non-Clinical Volunteering: 105 hrs
    1. Disability note taker for my university: 45hr (Spring 2023)
    2. Volunteer research assistant: 26hr (Fall 2022)
    3. Free OTC medication dispensary for underserved (stocking, sorting, distributing): 24hr (2021-2022)

I plan on taking the MCAT early next year, but is there anything I can currently focus on regarding my ECs? Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Getting more hours of non-clinical volunteering would be wise.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you!! Should I try and add on to one of the 3 places I've already volunteered (haven't been since 2022 d/t school & work schedule) or start somewhere new?
Hard to say since we have no idea what you have done for any of your activities.
Fill in this template completely and you’ll get good help. Post in the WAMC forum.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! Should I try and add on to one of the 3 places I've already volunteered (haven't been since 2022 d/t school & work schedule) or start somewhere new?
Too early without an MCAT score.

Let's put it this way... I don't put weight on activities where there are fewer than 50 hours. Since you haven't done any since 2 years ago, you should focus on getting experience and showing a commitment to your community that doesn't have to do with healthcare.

Have you shadowed a PsyD? You have a lot of neuropsychology and not much else.

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to say since we have no idea what you have done for any of your activities.
Fill in this template completely and you’ll get good help. Post in the WAMC forum.

I updated my post - does this provide more clarity? I apologize - first time poster :)

Too early without an MCAT score.

Let's put it this way... I don't put weight on activities where there are fewer than 50 hours. Since you haven't done any since 2 years ago, you should focus on getting experience and showing a commitment to your community that doesn't have to do with healthcare.

Have you shadowed a PsyD? You have a lot of neuropsychology and not much else.
Thank you for your help! The psychiatrist was an MD. I'm currently an MA at a weight loss clinic so will be getting shadowing hours there via NPs and PAs but definitely plan on bulking up on MD shadowing hours in at least one other specialty. Regarding the volunteering - should I pick a new experience to stick with or go back to one of the previous experiences (I now have time to volunteer at the medication dispensary again).

The psychiatrist was an MD. I'm currently an MA at a weight loss clinic so will be getting shadowing hours there via NPs and PAs but definitely plan on bulking up on MD shadowing hours in at least one other specialty. Regarding the volunteering - should I pick a new experience to stick with or go back to one of the previous experiences (I now have time to volunteer at the medication dispensary again).
So you haven't shadowed a PsyD. Your application is very psych focused. Unless you shadowed other specialties I'm concerned you haven't explored medicine... just neuropsych.

If you are serious about MD, you need at least 150 hours of in person service oriented activities before submitting your application to avoid getting screened out at most medical schools. Activities include food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Your dispensary work may apply but it depends on your responsibilities and interactions.

Reactions: 1 user
  1. cGPA:3.65 -> DIY post-bacc in progress, current 4.0 (lowest expected ~3.8)
    1. Attended an R2 state school for undergrad, splitting my DIY post-bacc between there & local CC
  2. Haven’t taken MCAT yet (taking a gap year to focus on studying & improving ECs)
  3. Clinical Experience: 2312+ paid patient care hours (psych tech, MA, Assistant CRC) -> still currently employed as an MA
  4. Research:245 hrs(no pubs)
    1. Solo research w/ mentor (paid): 160hr, poster presentation
    2. Research project during class: 25hr, poster presentation
    3. Research assistant in my university's cancer lab: 60hr, no poster or pubs
  5. Shadowing:173 hrs
    1. 1 ER MD ~ 16hr
    2. 1 Neuropsychiatrist MD ~ 50hr
    3. 1 PA, 1 NP (both neuropsych) ~ 107hr
  6. Non-Clinical Volunteering: 105 hrs
    1. Disability note taker for my university: 45hr (Spring 2023)
    2. Volunteer research assistant: 26hr (Fall 2022)
    3. Free OTC medication dispensary for underserved (stocking, sorting, distributing): 24hr (2021-2022)

I plan on taking the MCAT early next year, but is there anything I can currently focus on regarding my ECs? Thank you for your help!
I agree with those that advise you to get more traditional clinical exposure where you are interacting with people who have physical ailments. Your psych exposure is great, but a lot of medical school will be about physical problems and you have very limited exposure to those problems.

As has already been suggested, get more community service where you are assisting and interacting with underserved or disadvantaged people.

And you apparently already realize, study heard to ace the MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your help! The psychiatrist was an MD. I'm currently an MA at a weight loss clinic so will be getting shadowing hours there via NPs and PAs but definitely plan on bulking up on MD shadowing hours in at least one other specialty. Regarding the volunteering - should I pick a new experience to stick with or go back to one of the previous experiences (I now have time to volunteer at the medication dispensary again).
Shadowing NPs and PAs does not count. Do not list it in your app. You should shadow a PCP for a few days but your time is best spent in the community helping at a food bank or soup kitchen for around 200 hours.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users