Which bio courses to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmc303

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post-bac student, trying to figure out which two bio courses to take over the next year. The standard pre-med track here includes a two-course sequence, the first course being what looks to me like a lightweight overview of stuff like taxonomy, ecology, evolution, some basic genetics, etc., while the second course is where you learn the nitty gritty of cell division, DNA replication, etc. Obviously I'll want to take the second course, but should I just skip the first course and take something more advanced instead? I can't imagine the MCAT tests over stuff like ecology and the kingdom/phylum/genus junk, but who knows? Also -- if I skip that course and take the second semester course first, what single bio course would benefit me the most second semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of all the bio, med schools like biochemistry classes the most. They're usually pretty tough and it will give you a good foundation for the basic science of med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similiar question. I am trying to figure out what bio classes would be useful to take before the mcat.

these are my possibilities and i can only take two, which do you think would be the best two?

endocrinology,
cell biology,
microbiology,
principles of human physiology,
evolution of animal development,
molecular evolution

curlykid said:
I have a similiar question. I am trying to figure out what bio classes would be useful to take before the mcat.

these are my possibilities and i can only take two, which do you think would be the best two?

endocrinology,
cell biology,
microbiology,
principles of human physiology,
evolution of animal development,
molecular evolution

cell biology and human physiology