Which Books for Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamlet MD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what people who took Step 3 already used to study for the exam? So far from what others have told me, I am using Crush Step 3 and Kaplan Qbook. I have heard FA is not good at all. Any comments? Any good books for the clinical scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hamlet MD said:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what people who took Step 3 already used to study for the exam? So far from what others have told me, I am using Crush Step 3 and Kaplan Qbook. I have heard FA is not good at all. Any comments? Any good books for the clinical scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

I also used strong medicine for step 3. I would also recommend usmleworld q bank. Good luck

Can you guys visit the 'step 3' thread below and answer a few basic questions for me? Like, when can you take step 3 (i.e. what are the pre-reqs - do you need to have graduated already etc.) and how is it similar/different to step 2?

I used Blueprints Computer-based Case Simulation Review. It's a short, easy read - just 79 pages. It offers a strategy for approaching the cases, as well as a few scenarios for practice. It provided guidance where many review books were lacking. I think it really helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hamlet MD said:
Come on.....any opinions?

Study for Step 3?

Nope, sorry.... Did not have time to study, as I took it during 4th month of Surgery internship. Even worked til 11pm the night before the exam (and dozed off several times while taking the exam--but still passed!).

Just be sure to look at the USMLE cd on the case-based format for the 2nd day. I did that the evening of the first exam day.

Good luck!

Hamlet MD said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

I read Crush Step 3 and also re-read parts of Boards and Wards (which I also used for step 2) for stuff that wasn't covered as well in Crush. I used the NMS book for practice questions and the USMLE software for the case-base scenarios. Make sure to play around with that software and get a sense for all the different kind of orders you can write. I studied off and on over about a month and probably put in about 50-60 hours total studying time, which I guess is a lot compared to what most people do, but it worked for me.