Which classes to retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted455728

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bio 1 lvl B-
Bio 2 lvl C
Chem 1 D
Chem 2 C
Ochem 1 D
Ochem 2 C
Physics 1 C
Physics 2 C

Very similar to my pre-req grades. I went ahead and retook both semesters of gen chem, organic 1, and physics 1. I'm going to retake Bio1/2 next year just in case I don't get in this cycle. Retake the Ds first, then the Cs, then the B-.

Members don't see this ad :)
ALL of the Ds and Cs

Long story short, just graduated with a double major in Toxicology & Infectious Disease. 2.4 gpa 35 mcat. No elaborate story, was just extremely lazy and determined to get it together by retaking pre-med classes. Just need advice

Here are my relevant courses and grades:

Bio 1 lvl B-
Bio 2 lvl C
Chem 1 D
Chem 2 C
Ochem 1 D
Ochem 2 C
Physics 1 C
Physics 2 C

^ Should I just retake all of these? Even Bio1?

Non premed classes (may or may not help, suggestions?)
Nutrition 100 level B-
Nutrition 200 level C
Biostatistics 200 level C
Physiology (400 level) B
Biochemistry 1 (400 level) C
Biochemistry 2 (400 level) B-
Immunology 400 level B
Bacterial Pathogens 400 level A
Cell Signalling 400 level B
Molecular Toxicology A-
Medical Literature 400 level B-

^ most of these higher grades at 400 level were taken my senior year. Do any of these better grades help by showing an upwards trend?

Thanks in advance!

Cool, thanks for the quick response! Would it be a waste if I didn't get straight A's though? How many B's can I afford? (not that I'm aiming for them, just in case)

Also, does being a double major hold any weight? Or is it a moot point?

Presumably a double major means you have quite a bit of credits. Retaking classes will help less the more credits you have.

I personally went into retakes thinking I needed to get straight As, but I'm also doing my retakes at a CC to save money. A few A-/B+ should be ok, but the point is to raise your GPA.

Hmm ok, do you think its really necessary to retake both parts of a class? For example, if I retake chem 1 and physics 1 and get both A's do I still need to take chem 2 and physics 2? I feel like the A's should prove you have become a better student. Also, does retaking classes at CC or online come with a stigma?

I don't know about a stigma, but it definitely doesn't look as good as taking it at a 4-year university.

For me the main reason to retake classes was to improve my GPA. My MCAT score was what I used to show that I've become a better student.

Nice MCAT. Is the 2.4 your sgpa? What is your cgpa? Your repair may take 2 years at this point (which is not much in the marathon to become a doc). By then you may have to retake that MCAT. It is doable. I just finished my 2 year post bacc of premed courses and non-sci retakes. I don't think you would be eligible for any formal post-bacc's or SMP's with that gpa.

2.4 is my cgpa, like I said I was really lazy and got mostly C's in most of my classes. Why would I have to retake the MCAT though? Are the scores not good after a year or two? Also, why did you retake non-science classes?

MCAT scores are usually only good for 3 years. Retake everything with a C or worse in order to bump your GPA the most. The main problem with a <3.0 GPA is that your application won't even get looked at. You need to get your GPA into an acceptable range first.

Even after retaking the pre med classes I wont be at 3.0 :(

Are you sure? You must have a ton of credits. I retook gen chem 1 and 2, physics 1, and organic 1 and my sGPA went from a 2.65 to a 3.22.

I had a C, D, C, and C- replaced with 4 As.

Very similar to my pre-req grades. I went ahead and retook both semesters of gen chem, organic 1, and physics 1. I'm going to retake Bio1/2 next year just in case I don't get in this cycle. Retake the Ds first, then the Cs, then the B-.

lol you need to stop worrying, youll get in

lol you need to stop worrying, youll get in

I'm also retaking them so I have classes to take and can avoid having to start paying back undergrad loans ;) Bio 1/Bio2 should be easy so I'm just going to kill two birds with one stone.

Even after retaking the pre med classes I wont be at 3.0 :(

Your post bacc GPA will be considered separately at some schools (they generally want to see a 3.5 average). I do not know if the post bacc GPA will get you through an initial screening or if it's something that is only looked at after secondaries are received when considering admission.

I'm thinking of MSUCOM in particular. The allopathic program at MSU does this as well.

Also, quick question

My buddy is graduating next December, but this summer he's planning to take Kaplans MCAT (I tried to convince him its a waste of money) course and then apply to DO's when he gets his score back. Like me, he definitely has to retake some classes but not as many as me. I think his sGpa is 2.6 and his cGpa is 3.3. Shouldn't he focus on retaking the courses first and then focusing on the MCAT after? Possibly taking it next spring instead of this fall?

Retaking classes at a CC helped me a lot with MCAT. So yes, retaking first then doing the MCAT is probably a better plan.

2.4 is my cgpa, like I said I was really lazy and got mostly C's in most of my classes. Why would I have to retake the MCAT though? Are the scores not good after a year or two? Also, why did you retake non-science classes?

I was never a science major. I had several classes that I just quit going to and took F's during my first few years of college. In order to get my cgpa above the 3.0 hurdle for application, I had to retake several non-science classes. Getting above the 3.0 mark is strongly suggested on SDN as it is said that some schools automatically screen your application out if you don't have at least a 3.0 cgpa or sgpa. If you have any D's or F's in non-sci courses then you may want to retake those too. Like I said, this repair could take at least two years. You have to prove that you're ready for med school by acing everything from here forward. You need time to separate your old mediocre grades from your new solid upward trend.
As far as Carib, ya, there are schools that would accept you with those stats. Be careful, most people would rather do years of repair than go the Carib route. There is another forum that has Carib information and "what are my chances threads". Just google ValueMD.