Which course to take before the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnyg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This quarter, I have the choice to take Endocrinology or Physiology II (respiratory system, reproductive system, digestive system)

Which would be better to take before the MCAT? I would really like to take Endocrinology (works better with my schedule and am really interested in the class) but am scared that I won't know enough physiology for the MCAT (although the systems were covered in my lower division bio class).

This will be the last academic quarter before I take the MCAT. Which should I take?

Members don't see this ad.

The physiology II class would probably be the most useful, you can learn all the endocrinology you need for the MCAT in about an hour. Honestly though you could get by just fine with the physiology you learned in your lower division bio classes.

The physiology II class would probably be the most useful, you can learn all the endocrinology you need for the MCAT in about an hour. Honestly though you could get by just fine with the physiology you learned in your lower division bio classes.
What would you say is more useful while studying for MCAT, Biochemistry or Physiology?

Actually I disagree. I think those topics of physiology are low yield. Endocrinology seems a lot more helpful considering you're way more likely to get a passage (or more than 1 passage) about hormones than anything on the respiratory system. That's just my take anyways.

As for whether to take Biochemistry or Physiology. I'm taking Biochemistry now and while it's helpful, the level of detail we have been getting into is just insane. The memorization of random features of certain classic proteins and molecules is exhausting. Maybe your school is different. I would have much preferred to take physiology all over again, provided it's a full semester's worth of physiology (learned so much from that class).

Members don't see this ad :)
Which should I take?

Very easy question: the one you can get an A+ in.

Don't worry about the MCAT prep value for your mid and upper level courses. The level of content tested on the MCAT is high school AP Bio level. Seriously. What you would spend a week on in an upper-level course is a single paragraph in an MCAT book (I'm thinking, for example, of our discussion of the complement system in my upper-level immuno course).

When considering your course selections, you're much better off considering: feedback on the specific prof from peers and ratemyprofessor, scheduling, personal interest, and time commitment.

Good luck! :)

What would you say is more useful while studying for MCAT, Biochemistry or Physiology?

Really, there's no way to tell. You can get an MCAT test form that includes like 2-4 passages that are all "bio of the small" - cellular respiration, molecular genetics, biochem, etc. or you could get an MCAT that has no passages like that and instead gives you a passage on the physiology of the kidney, the physiology of breathing, and an experiment on smooth muscle. Or something.

In the end, other than a really strong foundation in the basics the coursework that leads to success on the MCAT is just coursework that's hard and makes you read a lot. Upper-level science classes can be good, but only if they're really challenging, make you think carefully, and make you read. There's a reason that math majors and physics majors end up doing better than bio majors on the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the A+ advice given above by Next Step. The stuff you are covering in Biochem is going to be way too detailed to be of any value on the MCAT, in fact if you aren't careful, you could make problems for yourself where there aren't any (hypervigilantism.) I would take the one you are going to do well in and leave the rest to your studying and prep.

Thanks guys! I decided to take endocrinology because I am really interested in the subject and won't have another opportunity to take it (and it fits much better with my schedule).