Which GPA do you list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Germadirk123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted/asked.

I attended one university for 4 semesters, until I transferred to my current school where I will graduate and receive my degree. In the application, which gpa do I list: my gpa for my current school only, or my gpa for all my courses I have taken?

Any help :D:D:D:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

You'll need to combine the total for both.

I have a similair question. I just graduated from my undergrad. I have also taken other classes through various colleges both before college in highschool and while at my undergrad, When I list my GPA on the VMCAS do I just list my undergrad GPA? Shouldn't these other classes count towards my GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similair question. I just graduated from my undergrad. I have also taken other classes through various colleges both before college in highschool and while at my undergrad, When I list my GPA on the VMCAS do I just list my undergrad GPA? Shouldn't these other classes count towards my GPA?

It never hurts to double check with individual schools, but most (if not all schools) want your GPA calculated to include any class you've ever taken from an undergrad institution at any point. The only thing that may come in to play is if a certain school has a time limit on how long ago a class could be taken (eg. biochem has to be taken within 5 years of applying, etc). If you have an "expired" class, I would check with the specific school to see if they still want you to include it in your overall GPA or leave it out.

Just wanted to offer a tip here (learn from my mistake and all) - when combining GPAs, it's not a simple average. :laugh: You'll probably have to recalculate the whole thing accounting for all of your credit hours and whatnot.

I think UPenn has a formula for doing that on their website.

Just wanted to offer a tip here (learn from my mistake and all) - when combining GPAs, it's not a simple average. :laugh: You'll probably have to recalculate the whole thing accounting for all of your credit hours and whatnot.

I think UPenn has a formula for doing that on their website.

Oh, yeah, probably should have mentioned that. You will have to recalculate the whole thing from scratch to include everything, not just take the average of the two (or however many you have).

You'll need to combine the total for both.
Really? Are we talking VMCAS? Since when? Back in our day you were supposed to list the GPA of your PRIMARY school. Other GPAs were allowed to be added as notes.

There was always a question of which GPA is primary, but in OP case, it is clearly the graduating school.

Unless you are talking supplementals. Then all bets are off. Depends on school.

I also put my primary school only and I actually don't think it matters too much; all the achools I applied to recalculated my GPA to include the college classes I took in high school anyway.

Have you begun VMCAS yet? It should be obvious on there.

IIRC, I put my primary school's gpa. So, for the OP that would be her current school.

You will input all of your grades & credit hours for each course anyway, so I think they auto-calculate it.

Really? Are we talking VMCAS? Since when? Back in our day you were supposed to list the GPA of your PRIMARY school. Other GPAs were allowed to be added as notes.

There was always a question of which GPA is primary, but in OP case, it is clearly the graduating school.

Really? Apparently I missed where they put that on VMCAS, and all three schools I contacted to ask told me to put down a total/combined GPA if I had it (Penn, NCSU, and Tennessee, for those interested, although they may in fact not really care....). How curious. If it does specify on VMCAS/supplementals, follow instructions, of course. I'd hate for my idiocy to keep someone out of vet school. :eek:

And I seem to recall the Tennessee supplemental wants your GPA for all of your course work combined, or did the last time I applied.

Really? Apparently I missed where they put that on VMCAS, and all three schools I contacted to ask told me to put down a total/combined GPA if I had it (Penn, NCSU, and Tennessee, for those interested, although they may in fact not really care....). How curious. If it does specify on VMCAS/supplementals, follow instructions, of course. I'd hate for my idiocy to keep someone out of vet school. :eek:

And I seem to recall the Tennessee supplemental wants your GPA for all of your course work combined, or did the last time I applied.
Yeah, Penn's supplemental was overall GPA, but VMCAS was primary. I remember that because of all the questions on here by what that meant (it was defined in the instructions, but there are gray cases). They could have changed it though. We are dinosaurs on this forum:laugh:

Yeah, Penn's supplemental was overall GPA, but VMCAS was primary. I remember that because of all the questions on here by what that meant (it was defined in the instructions, but there are gray cases). They could have changed it though. We are dinosaurs on this forum:laugh:

On the test application for 2013, VMCAS still asks for the primary GPA. I don't think that has changed from previous years.

Don't grump at me old man, I tried to defend you in WW!

Bahahahaha

And yes. It is primary school gpa. I filled it out last year and went "oh poop" bc a lot of upper division classes were taken at a state school. You just need to add in the explanation space what your combined gpa is.

yeah I heard that the GPA you list is from your primary school, the one you will graduate from.

I do know that you MUST send in any transcript from any college you have ever taken a class at - so I guess they'll see everything anyways and calculate it that way

yeah I heard that the GPA you list is from your primary school, the one you will graduate from.

I do know that you MUST send in any transcript from any college you have ever taken a class at - so I guess they'll see everything anyways and calculate it that way
primary school is not necessarily the one you graduate from.
Could be:
the school you took most credits at.
or the school you fulfilled most of your requirements at.
or school you took most of credits in your major at.
or first school.

or whatever.
It just needs to be justifiable the "primary" school. There are a lot of non-standard situations out there.

But yeah, the schools calculate themselves anyway.

I didn't combine GPAs on my Application on VMCAS, the schools will get your transcripts and do their own calculations....keep all of your GPAs separate, its less confusing. I had My undergrad, a summer school Uni for one class, a Masters school, another Uni for some classes, and then another Uni for some prereqs when I decided I wanted to go to Vet school. I just kept them all separate...